U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM
 
19 posts, read 33,643 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Ive been on here reading alot of forums on what neighborhoods are/aren't good to live in.. I've done some research of my own and I'm pretty torn between all areas of Philly because they all seem to offer something I'm looking for. I'm enclosing some information so maybe the Residents would be able to help me out here a little more..I'd appreciate any info you can share.

Age: 28
Gender: Female
Race: Black
Kids: None
Pets: None
Car: None
Apt size: 1-2 bedroom (prefer a house rather than apt complex)
Price range: $900 maximum
Moving Date: June/July
Close to: supermarkets, farmers markets, laundry, cafes, restaurants, hair salons, barber shops, small shopping, transportation to center city

the neighborhoods I find myself drawn to are:
Point Breeze
New Bold
Pennsport
Olde Kensington
Kensington
Northern Liberties
Northeast/west philly
Germantown???
Squirrel Hill
Walnut Hill
University City

I'm overall looking for a neighborhood that is very diverse has a mixture of ethnicity, age, food and social life. Someplace that is getting better not worse b/c I don't want to have to move for another 2 -3 years. I also want a neighborhood that is developed. I would not be comfortable living in a construction site or across from an empty lot/abandon buildings.Again I appreciate any info you can share.

-Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 AM
 
4,995 posts, read 7,306,567 times
Reputation: 7972
Point Breeze is a little sketchy.
Northerns parts of point breeze tend to be better.

West Philly in general is not very nice and is quite a depressed area. University City being the exception.

South Philly is good. Northern Liberties u will hear over and over again is the "up and coming" area of philly. However, who has time to wait around for a neighborhood to come up? why not just live somewhere that has already up and come? No. Libs is OK. Kind of a gritty feel, lots of new development.

I think generally the nicer areas of philly is anything east of broad street and north of washington ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,472 posts, read 3,387,356 times
Reputation: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Point Breeze is a little sketchy.
Northerns parts of point breeze tend to be better.

West Philly in general is not very nice and is quite a depressed area. University City being the exception.

South Philly is good. Northern Liberties u will hear over and over again is the "up and coming" area of philly. However, who has time to wait around for a neighborhood to come up? why not just live somewhere that has already up and come? No. Libs is OK. Kind of a gritty feel, lots of new development.

I think generally the nicer areas of philly is anything east of broad street and north of washington ave.
Point breeze is one of the absolute worst neighborhoods in the city. To say it is "a little sketchy" is probably the understatement of the century. You make it seem as though Point Breeze is safer than Northern Liberties. That is far from the case.

Northern Liberties was up and coming 10 years ago. Today northern liberties is home to multimillion dollar homes and reasonable safety. Point Breeze is no where even near this. Along the far northern border of point breeze it is beginning to gentrify a little but you can still get a home in the best part of point breeze for a fraction of what you would have to pay to get a home in the absolute worst part of northern liberties.

here is a tool that may be useful to the OP

http://cml.upenn.edu/crimebase/cbsMapRequest.asp

the most recent data is for 2009 but it is still useful. As this shows, northern liberties is reasonably safe whereas Point Breeze is about as dangerous as a neighborhood can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 12:45 PM
 
4,995 posts, read 7,306,567 times
Reputation: 7972
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Point breeze is one of the absolute worst neighborhoods in the city. To say it is "a little sketchy" is probably the understatement of the century. You make it seem as though Point Breeze is safer than Northern Liberties. That is far from the case.

Northern Liberties was up and coming 10 years ago. Today northern liberties is home to multimillion dollar homes and reasonable safety. Point Breeze is no where even near this. Along the far northern border of point breeze it is beginning to gentrify a little but you can still get a home in the best part of point breeze for a fraction of what you would have to pay to get a home in the absolute worst part of northern liberties.

here is a tool that may be useful to the OP

http://cml.upenn.edu/crimebase/cbsMapRequest.asp

the most recent data is for 2009 but it is still useful. As this shows, northern liberties is reasonably safe whereas Point Breeze is about as dangerous as a neighborhood can be.
Yes, listen to this dude.
I'm brand new to the city, so my knowledge is limited.
I'm going off what one real estate agent has told me about the city.

"Bella Vista" where quoted dude above lives is apparently a good part of Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
1,965 posts, read 3,170,010 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
West Philly in general is not very nice and is quite a depressed area. University City being the exception.
What the H@ll, dude. You just completely wipe out the entire Wynnefield, Overbrook, Overbrook Farms, St Joseph's area, with one broad brush? Big stone houses, tree-lined streets, large lots, easy access to I76 and City Ave shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 AM
 
958 posts, read 921,599 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
What the H@ll, dude. You just completely wipe out the entire Wynnefield, Overbrook, Overbrook Farms, St Joseph's area, with one broad brush? Big stone houses, tree-lined streets, large lots, easy access to I76 and City Ave shopping.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Honestly, if you haven't even lived here for long enough to get a feel for places, you shouldn't be giving advice to other people about areas.

As for West Philly, be sure to stay East of Delaware County from Upper Darby/Milbourne down. That's where all of the crime is being pushed that's moving westward and southwestward. From Market Street on down, the closer you are to Delaware County, the worse the area is going to be and is going to get in the coming years until gentrification fully pushes further and further out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top