Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max215 View Post
2007- 391 homicides, 2008- 331, 2009- 302, 2010- 306, 2011- 324, so far 2012- 315 homicides. So I was off a bit, but my point still stands, barking dogs are not important to the police department. And as far as me responding to a old thread, if you don't like it don't respond. I not hip to the thread etiquette lol
I agree with you completely, there are bigger things they need to worry about, I just thought your comment was slightly exaggerated. The PPD has done a great drop in lowering the crime and murder rate in Philadelphia over the past few years, and while I think it can be lowered even more, I think it something to be commemorated that they are actually trying and that crime is dropping. Even with 315 murders this year, the overall crime rate in the city has dropped by 4% compared to last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
If they want to keep good, taxpaying, family-raising type of people in the city populating the less-fashionable neighborhoods, they need to find a way to start responding to quality of life complaints - including barking dogs.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
If they want to keep good, taxpaying, family-raising type of people in the city populating the less-fashionable neighborhoods, they need to find a way to start responding to quality of life complaints - including barking dogs.
I see what your trying to say but even you would have to admit that police officers in most suburban towns in the Philly area would've probably not even responded to that compliant. I'm just keeping it real that's all.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
If someone is going to leave a major city because the PPD didn't respond to a dog barking complaint, then that person needs to seriously rethink their lives.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
If someone is going to leave a major city because the PPD didn't respond to a dog barking complaint, then that person needs to seriously rethink their lives.
How about continuous, ongoing barking dog complaints that go unaddressed in spite of the clear language of the city code? Because the city refuses to enforce its own laws, a (presumably) good citizen has reached a point where he/she wants to leave. Multiply this by thousands of other noise and QOL complaints that the city refuses to remedy and how many good citizens have we lost? Decent people who just finally say "to hell with this." What is the alternative? Either take the law into your own hands and kick some a** or leave.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
How about continuous, ongoing barking dog complaints that go unaddressed in spite of the clear language of the city code? Because the city refuses to enforce its own laws, a (presumably) good citizen has reached a point where he/she wants to leave. Multiply this by thousands of other noise and QOL complaints that the city refuses to remedy and how many good citizens have we lost? Decent people who just finally say "to hell with this." What is the alternative? Either take the law into your own hands and kick some a** or leave.
Who moves to a city expecting not to hear noise? I never understood this complaint.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Who moves to a city expecting not to hear noise? I never understood this complaint.
There's regular city noise, which is easy to get used to. Then there's the dog just outside your bedroom window that barks incessantly night after night after night after night with no relief in sight to the point where you can't enjoy the use of your own home.

I have 100% sympathy with the OP and I hope he or she can get some relief.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
There's regular city noise, which is easy to get used to. Then there's the dog just outside your bedroom window that barks incessantly night after night after night after night with no relief in sight to the point where you can't enjoy the use of your own home.

I have 100% sympathy with the OP and I hope he or she can get some relief.
Why not try talking to your neighbor then? I mean it's a dog... there is not much the cops can do about it, so why bother responding to it when they are more important issues at hand that they CAN do something about.

I understand what you are saying but there is a point where something like this just gets ridiculous.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Why not try talking to your neighbor then? I mean it's a dog... there is not much the cops can do about it, so why bother responding to it when they are more important issues at hand that they CAN do something about.

I understand what you are saying but there is a point where something like this just gets ridiculous.
Yes. Talking to the neighbor is the first step. What if the neighbor doesn't do anything about it? Then what? That's why the city has laws about this sort of thing. The city should enforce its laws. Quality of life matters.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Yes. Talking to the neighbor is the first step. What if the neighbor doesn't do anything about it? Then what? That's why the city has laws about this sort of thing. The city should enforce its laws. Quality of life matters.
My point is what are the cops going to do about it though? They can't do much except knock on the door and wag their finger at the dog owner. It's a dog, it's going to bark... and there are more important things for the PPD to deal with like PEOPLE BEING SHOT...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia