U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM

7 posts, read 13,872 times

Advertisements

Two retirees considering a move to PA to be closer to family. Need one floor living, would consider an active adult community that is not over 10 years old. Also would like to be close to public transportation, shopping areas. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 9,998 times
How about Ridley Park? Or Prospect Park, which is right next door. If you're looking to rent, there are lots of complexes -- many with first floor apartments. The train stops in Ridley Park, which will get you public transportation. It's also only about a ten minute drive from the airport. I don't know about buses. I'm used to New Jersey Transit now, which is no great shakes compared to what you get in a major metropolitan area; but in my experience it's better than SEPTA for buses. As far as shopping, there's a cute (but quaint) main street, bisected at one end with a secondary minor main street. There are a few stores that turnover every few years, and a few businesses that have been there forever -- a gift shop, a liquor store, some local take-out food places, and hairdressers.

Scattered in other parts of the town, there are pharmacies and convenience stores. There's a shopping center just past the city limits that has a supermarket and some other big chain stores. There are a couple of smaller stores there too, but I never too much notice of them. There are libraries, churches, and bars. There's a man-made lake nearby that the city sometimes holds events at (like a Victorian fair). I'd call the lake safe to go to for the events, but there have been some incidents in recent years when nothing was going on -- I'd stay away when there aren't events, too be on the safe side. There is also Taylor Hospital which is great in an emergency. They don't have departments for for everything, but they do great job there.

Some people have been saying Ridley/Prospect have been going downhill lately, and I can kind of see it. By the same token, I'd still list it as a safe and decent place to live.

There's also Springfield. I know even less about the public transportation there than I do in Ridley, but I'm sure I remember seeing buses in Springfield. There is also a shopping mall, a shopping center, and a hospital in Springfield. It's right next to Swarthmore, which is a beautiful residential area. The downside of Swarthmore is that you'd need a car to get around, it's probably comparatively pricey, and most of the houses are more than one floor.

Now that I think of it, getting around in Ridley or Prospect without a car might be iffy too. Like I said, there's the train and it's near the airport. Most of the stores in town are within varying degrees of walking distance (if not always pleasant ones). But getting to other towns, especially small ones could be a chore. A bonus is that it's town where everyone knows everyone, so making friends and getting rides with them is easy to do and the people are friendly.

Oh, and please, please avoid Chester itself -- it's not safe.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:33 AM

12,743 posts, read 28,688,538 times
You might consider downtown Media. Perfect if you are looking for a nice walkable town that's close to public transportation. There seems to be a lack of 55+ communities in the suburban area, probably because most of the land was built up before they became popular. Perhaps someone can come up with a link that shows a few developments that is not a link to a Realtor.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 AM

2,912 posts, read 4,685,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You might consider downtown Media. Perfect if you are looking for a nice walkable town that's close to public transportation. There seems to be a lack of 55+ communities in the suburban area, probably because most of the land was built up before they became popular. Perhaps someone can come up with a link that shows a few developments that is not a link to a Realtor.
I can think of some 55+ communities in Chester County, but unfortunately they are not close to public transportation...something the OP mentioned in her original post.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM

6,004 posts, read 5,415,965 times
A new active adult community was just completed in brookhaven pa. Im not sure of the name i dont really look at the sign when i drive by, but there are about 4 or 5 condo style buildings, nicely done.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:20 PM

25 posts, read 85,523 times
Hi Mary K.

Good luck with your search. There are various SEPTA bus routes and commuter trains (SEPTA Regional Rail) in the areas you mentioned (Although there is considerably more service in Delaware County, than in Chester County).

If you come up with a prospective list of locations and if you have any questions regarding public transportation, feel free to contact us at 215-580-7800, or online at www.septa.org and use the online form or chat feature.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,168,329 times
"Traditions at Ridley Creek" by Pulte Homes is the name of the new condo complex in Brookhaven.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:10 PM

958 posts, read 950,241 times
There's one in Media or maybe Upper Providence off of Providence Road I believe, near Mary Magdalene Parish. I'm not sure if it's directly served by public transportation but there is a bus that goes from Delaware County Community College to Chester Transportation Center, the 118, that stops right near Rose Tree Park and goes through Media, where you can transfer to either the 101 Trolley or the 110 and 111 Buses.

I'm also not sure how old it is or what exactly the name is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia