U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 12:57 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,212,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Where in Francisville are you moving to if I may ask?

Yep, most people posting here still won't put a toe west of 52nd St no matter what you or I tell them. As you know Cedar Ave west of 52nd, at 54th St, is still anchored by Mercy Hospital as an example.
I think some people have a harder time keeping track of the changing borders more than others. If people don't have a reason to go to said neighborhood, you just usually don't.
And if you aren't sure about an area, you should try to go with at least one other person.

Of course you have people that get way too paranoid too. One time, I was hanging with a friend at 69th St. waiting for the 102 trolley, and the friend's father told that friend never to wait in 69th St. station ever again basically implying that it was a dangerous area and that he was ethnocentrically white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 586 times
some of the blocks 60th-the parkway are beautiful especially south of larch wood.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 AM

1,028 posts, read 718,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Where in Francisville are you moving to if I may ask?

Yep, most people posting here still won't put a toe west of 52nd St no matter what you or I tell them. As you know Cedar Ave west of 52nd, at 54th St, is still anchored by Mercy Hospital as an example.
I'm moving to the northeastern section of the neighborhood, close to Broad and Girard! Not going to lie, part of the motivation for moving to Francisville is the fact that, aside from it being a beautiful neighborhood full of young professionals around my age (23 going on 24), the Girard BSL stop is about 2 minutes away. For those who live east of 52nd Street, it's nearly impossible to get a seat on the El in the morning. As someone who works in Two Liberty, it'll be super convenient to have both local and express BSL service in the morning!

I'm going through the motions of trying out new neighborhoods before eventually deciding to buy here. I'm also continuing to show my girlfriend, a transplant from the Southwestern US, different areas since I'm confident that our relationship will be long-term, she loves the city, and she shares my anti-suburb opinion. After a year in Francisville, I think I'll try a neighborhood in either the River Wards, Center City, South Philly, or Northwest Philly (specifically Manayunk, but I'm open to Germantown and Mt. Airy). West Philly really has my heart though!

Old 06-13-2019, 10:49 AM

9,333 posts, read 5,195,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I'm moving to the northeastern section of the neighborhood, close to Broad and Girard! Not going to lie, part of the motivation for moving to Francisville is the fact that, aside from it being a beautiful neighborhood full of young professionals around my age (23 going on 24), the Girard BSL stop is about 2 minutes away. For those who live east of 52nd Street, it's nearly impossible to get a seat on the El in the morning. As someone who works in Two Liberty, it'll be super convenient to have both local and express BSL service in the morning!

I'm going through the motions of trying out new neighborhoods before eventually deciding to buy here. I'm also continuing to show my girlfriend, a transplant from the Southwestern US, different areas since I'm confident that our relationship will be long-term, she loves the city, and she shares my anti-suburb opinion. After a year in Francisville, I think I'll try a neighborhood in either the River Wards, Center City, South Philly, or Northwest Philly (specifically Manayunk, but I'm open to Germantown and Mt. Airy). West Philly really has my heart though!
A lot of changes have happened around that part of Francisville in the last couple of years so it's great that you have made a commitment to it.

One of my cousins, who's almost 30, lives in East Falls and loves it there. So you might want to check that out as well. She grew up in the suburbs. Don't think she is going back to the 'burbs!

Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM

836 posts, read 176,150 times
Quote:
If you like and care about your girlfriend, don't make her deal with Broad and Girard!

Old 06-24-2019, 12:33 PM

4,879 posts, read 2,372,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
If you like and care about your girlfriend, don't make her deal with Broad and Girard!
I've been approached by the developer who's converting the old St. Joseph's Hospital in the 1600 block of Girard into upscale eco-conscious apartments to tour the property for a writeup. I've already been inside the building when the developer hosted a hard-hat open house tour.

There's a brand-new block of rental rowhouses (probably three-flats) just to the former hospital's east.

And, of course, the refurbished Met is now open one block south of the subway station.

There's probably less mayhem going on there now than there is in my little corner of Germantown.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I've been approached by the developer who's converting the old St. Joseph's Hospital in the 1600 block of Girard into upscale eco-conscious apartments to tour the property for a writeup. I've already been inside the building when the developer hosted a hard-hat open house tour.

There's a brand-new block of rental rowhouses (probably three-flats) just to the former hospital's east.

And, of course, the refurbished Met is now open one block south of the subway station.

There's probably less mayhem going on there now than there is in my little corner of Germantown.
Francisville is on fire wrt development and, perhaps, Indiana Tony is forgetting that PhilliesPhan2013 grew up in Haddington which is not doing nearly as well as Francisville is right now. It's a great choice.

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

836 posts, read 176,150 times
It's still Broad and Girard, it's still pretty dangerous and there's still plenty of undesirables hanging about ... great place to bring a girl who's from the Southwest.
You can talk about all the new construction you want, but it's still a long ways off from being Fairmount or Fishtown.

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

1,028 posts, read 718,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I probably would’ve agreed with you a few years ago (up to around 2015 or so), but not as strongly now. While there are SOME shady characters that hang around the CVS, it has improved over the years. The amount of foot traffic is also about to increase drastically with all the new large projects coming online. With that said, however, I probably will wait outside until she arrives, especially since I’m less than a 2 minute walk from the stop. I’m not that worried about her though: she walked to 50th and Woodland alone the other day and made out fine!

We don’t usually agree on the state of Philly, but I will slightly agree with you and say that Broad and Girard isn’t ALL the way there yet. Not only do each of the auto-centric businesses on the NE, NW, and SW corners need to be redeveloped into residential mixed-use, but the east side of North Broad could use more density both north and south of the stop. It’s coming though! Girard Ave isn’t even the line of demarcation between the “good” and “bad” parts of North Philly anymore. Cecil B. Moore Ave took its place recently.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Girard Ave isn’t even the line of demarcation between the “good” and “bad” parts of North Philly anymore. Cecil B. Moore Ave took its place recently.
I'd push it a little further ..... to Norris St maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or