U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:14 PM

27 posts, read 44,025 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Please note that this post is from

Ok, so I'm not trying to be a gentrifier here. But we are (currently) lower income white folks looking to buy a home in West Philly. So, our budget has us looking around 52nd st and west...I'm seeing lots of homes under 100K. Is this because they are crappy drug infested neighborhoods? Or just under valued because they are old school african american blocks?

I guess my question is-
Is west philly, west of 52nd, south of market, safe for us?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-11-2018 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 07:35 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,109,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allarevessels View Post
Ok, so I'm not trying to be a gentrifier here. But we are (currently) lower income white folks looking to buy a home in West Philly. So, our budget has us looking around 52nd st and west...I'm seeing lots of homes under 100K. Is this because they are crappy drug infested neighborhoods? Or just under valued because they are old school african american blocks?

I guess my question is-

52nd street is the ghetto high crime section of philadelphia. The nicer and low crime areas of west philly are below 45th street.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:28 AM

147 posts, read 299,429 times
Quote:

I guess my question is-
You are crazy for wanting to move there. Stay east of 46th St.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:58 AM

3,251 posts, read 4,719,339 times
^^^Things have changed, and I don't think you need to be east of 45th or 46th street. West of 52nd might be pushing it, but nowadays I think it's gotten nice at least out to 50th St in places, especially moreso South of Spruce St, closer to Baltimore Ave, in Cedar Park.
For example,
The Gold Standard Cafe is at 48th & Baltimore
and Dock Street Brewhouse and Firehouse bikes are both at 50th and Baltimore.

Not exactly the hood when you see yuppies eating brunch at sidewalk tables.

Things are changing, but it's still spotty, and it really depends on the block around there. You really just have to check it out and get a feel for things.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 AM

7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
If you already have experience interacting with lower-income/working-class black folks on a regular basis, then you might actually be alright. If not, it will be a learning experience for you and your neighbors.

52nd St between Market and Pine Sts. is the "downtown" of West Philly with businesses that cater primarily to the above demographic.

I would say that the area you're looking at can be a block-by-block situation, although the undervaluing may more due to your second scenario than your first.

The blocks surrounding Malcolm X Park and for a couple blocks east feature a lot of stable African-American homeowners. I've never been crazy about the apartments that line the 4800-4900 blocks of Pine Street, however.

As rotodome said Gentrifiers/trailblazers are indeed making their way from University City although they may not have made the jump over 52nd St (save some "starving artists") so not everyone may be happy to see you. Above-average street wisdom and investment in home security may be useful.

In short, you may be taking a risk on at least some level. Life experience with similar neighborhoods and neighbors will help minimize it.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM

27 posts, read 44,025 times
Thanks for the update TVGuy and Darbarian.
I know for a fact it's okay out to 50th, it's the west end of Malcolm X park I'm questioning. I currently live near 49th and Springfield so I'm familiar with that area, but not an expert.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:34 PM

7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Quote:
Thanks for the update TVGuy and Darbarian.
I know for a fact it's okay out to 50th, it's the west end of Malcolm X park I'm questioning. I currently live near 49th and Springfield so I'm familiar with that area, but not an expert.
Ah, well with the information that you already lived not very far from where you're considering, that could have helped answers become more focused. You've probably ventured further south and west of where you are on occasion. If you're comfortable with that experience, then it won't be as much of an adjustment at your prospective location.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,376,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
52nd street is the ghetto high crime section of philadelphia. The nicer and low crime areas of west philly are below 45th street.
And how exactly does one get below 45th street? The sewer?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,289,398 times
Try to stay east of 50th Street. The character of the neighborhood starts changing dramatically west of 50th. However if places are too expensive, then I would say the "corridor" between 50th and 52nd is worth considering.

Personally, I would never live west of 52nd. It is rough. It is "the 'hood" ...
Maybe not a terrible war zone like parts of North Philly, Kensington, or Strawberry Mansion ... but an area with urban problems.

I've been telling people about an area I call "West Powelton Village" near Penn Presbyterian Hospital. Predominantly African-American and a bit more 'blue-collar' than University City, but it is a tidy charming little neighborhood that is better maintained than other areas north and west of it.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:38 AM

6,351 posts, read 5,127,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Try to stay east of 50th Street. The character of the neighborhood starts changing dramatically west of 50th. However if places are too expensive, then I would say the "corridor" between 50th and 52nd is worth considering.

Personally, I would never live west of 52nd. It is rough. It is "the 'hood" ...
Maybe not a terrible war zone like parts of North Philly, Kensington, or Strawberry Mansion ... but an area with urban problems.

I've been telling people about an area I call "West Powelton Village" near Penn Presbyterian Hospital. Predominantly African-American and a bit more 'blue-collar' than University City, but it is a tidy charming little neighborhood that is better maintained than other areas north and west of it.
West Philly turns from nice to hood pretty quickly between 50th and 52nd. I'd avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or