Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:19 AM

11 posts, read 22,385 times

Advertisements

Thanks folks for all these replies... they are extremely helpful!

I heard from a friend (who is also a realtor) that the properties in Media typically come with higher taxes... is it true? Haven't really looked into the real estate market in Media, but I thought that property taxes for most Main Line houses are already high enough, so it's kinda hard to image if the taxes in Media are even higher...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 AM

11 posts, read 22,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
I
The commute into the city using SEPTA is about the same, as I mentioned previously. If you need to drive, it's a lot easier to take 476 south to 95 north from Media than 476 north to 76 east into Center City. 76 is usually a parking lot, and 95 is usually smooth sailing during the commute. (Though if you're going to Drexel you could also take Baltimore Pike or Lancaster Ave from the suburbs.)
Thanks soooo much for the very helpful info! So were you saying that it's much easier to commute into Center City by car from Media than from Main Line? We will probably take SEPTA most of the times, but my hubby may have to drive occasionally.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:02 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoPhilly View Post
Thanks folks for all these replies... they are extremely helpful!

I heard from a friend (who is also a realtor) that the properties in Media typically come with higher taxes... is it true? Haven't really looked into the real estate market in Media, but I thought that property taxes for most Main Line houses are already high enough, so it's kinda hard to image if the taxes in Media are even higher...
The taxes are higher, but you get much more house for your dollar, so the expense factor still ends up well in Central Delco's favor.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Are there really any towns in suburban philly with grocery stores that are walkable from downtown? when i lived in LA, i walked to the grocery store. when i lived in center city, i walked to the grocery stores. i haven't been to all the towns that have been listed, but do they have actual grocery stores downtown?
I have to say definitely, yes. However not always "in" the downtown, but a few blocks away from the downtown center (which in itself may only cover three or four blocks).

In some places you have a choice to walk to two or three different ones, say a a specialty place like Whole Foods (Jenkintown comes to mind) and a regular priced store like Genuardi's/Giant, Acme or Super Fresh. IMO having a Trader Joe's within walking distance is the best trade off of all worlds.

The exception is no if you're looking for a walk-to Wegmans, they seem to be 100% drive to/car centric.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Hi All,

My husband and I will be moving to Philly this summer because of my job. I will be working at Drexel University and he will probably get a job in the Center City. We have done some research and are now inclined to find a place on the Main Line, especially towns like Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Wayne or Devon. But we would like to get some expert opinion here before we launch a full-fledged housing search:

Have you been to any of the Center City neighborhoods yet? IMO its the most amazing part of the region, by far . The fact that you dont have to worry about schools may lead you to at least consider living in Center City,especially since you will both be working there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoPhilly
2. I have heard about some good things about Media. Is it comparable to Main Line towns, in terms of costs, shopping, and/or quality of life? Or maybe put it in another way, what's the major difference between Media and Main Line communities?
The Main Line is denser, more populated and a continuous stretch of 15-20different planned towns . The Main Line consists mainly of Lower Merion Township,Radnor Township,and eastern Chester County. For instance Lower Merion Township has 60,000 people,Radnor 30,000 and the Chester County towns another 30,000.

On the other hand Media is a singular town of about 5,000 people surrounded by suburbia(most of it very very nice) and a big state park.

Top main Line towns imo

Wayne
Bryn Mawr
Narberth
Ardmore
Wynnewood
Haverford

Another plus about the Main Line is you are only 10 minutes from King' of Prussia and Valley Forge. KOP has I believe the largest "shopping mall" in the USA. Most of it upscale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoPhilly
3. Are there other areas that we might want to consider? We are both in our mid-30s, no kids yet but school district is definitely a factor. We'd like to live in a quiet neighborhood, but a walkable and convenient downtown with good grocery stores and coffee shops would be a huge plus.
Chestnut Hill which is nestled in the woodsy NW corner of the city of Philadelphia was recently named the 3rd best urban enclave in the USA behind Park Slope(Brooklyn) and Beverly Hills.

Direct rail right into Center City.

Chestnut Hill

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,459 times
Quote:
Thanks soooo much for the very helpful info! So were you saying that it's much easier to commute into Center City by car from Media than from Main Line? We will probably take SEPTA most of the times, but my hubby may have to drive occasionally.
As a general rule, if you have to get on 76 (aka "the Schuylkill expressway") during rush hour you should anticipate a painful experience. Depending on where you're going you could potentially avoid 76 from the Main Line, but it's the most obvious highway option into the city.

From Media (exit 3 on Rt 476, aka "the blue route") to the city you'd drive 95 north to either 76 west or 676 west, depending on your final destination.

For non-highway options to University City you'd probably take either Lancaster Ave from Main Line communities or Baltimore Pike from the Media area. (I know a few people who commute via bike on this route between Media & University City too.)

All these communities you're considering are reasonable striking distance to University City & Center City, particularly using SEPTA. Just beware any driving commute on the Schuylkill would not be pleasant.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,459 times
Quote:
One thing to keep in mind as you're considering homes: In many PA communities taxes on newly constructed houses are typically MUCH higher than on older homes. Financially it often makes more sense to buy an older home that has been (or will be) completely renovated than to buy something brand new, for example.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
How did media become so popular on this board? It is just one of dozens of suburban towns, nothing particularly special there, not particularly convenient or attractive, just average in every way. I don’t see the attraction.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 AM

147 posts, read 353,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
How did media become so popular on this board? It is just one of dozens of suburban towns, nothing particularly special there, not particularly convenient or attractive, just average in every way. I don’t see the attraction.

Would you rather that we suggest Chester, Marcus Hook, Linwood?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
One thing to keep in mind as you're considering homes: In many PA communities taxes on newly constructed houses are typically MUCH higher than on older homes. Financially it often makes more sense to buy an older home that has been (or will be) completely renovated than to buy something brand new, for example.

This is very true. We found this out when we moved 3 years ago.. You can buy an older home that been gutted and renovated for way less taxes then a new home..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia