Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 05:53 PM

513 posts, read 580,863 times

Advertisements

Well for those of who just moved here or are planning on moving here, you're probably wondering what the typical traffic patterns are during rush hour. We seem to get lots of posts wondering about traffic for Philly and other cities on the CD forums. While I can't comment on other cities, I'm going to try to break down the Philly traffic patterns best I can. I'll tell you which roads and in which directions traffic jams typically occur. For those of you that live in the area, feel free to contribute.

I-76/Schuylkill Expressway - Pretty much jammed both directions during the AM and PM rush hours. Always worse during the PM rush.

I-676/Vine Expressway - Usually not too bad during the AM rush, but always a parking lot EB during the PM rush, usually WB leaving CC as well.

US-1/Boulevard Extension - Generally heavy SB in the AM, NB in the PM.

I-95 (Philly) - Always bumper to bumper SB during the AM rush, both directions during the PM rush.

I-95 (Delco) - Usually in pretty good shape during the AM rush, but very slow both ways heading towards the Commodore Barry Bridge during the PM rush.

I-476/Blue Route - Usually heavier SB during the AM, but both ways during the PM rush.

US-202 - Generally jammed NB during the AM rush, SB during the PM rush.

US-422 - Usually jammed EB during the AM rush, WB during the PM rush.

Pennsylvania Turnpike - Generally heavier WB in the morning, EB in the afternoon.

Ben Franklin Bridge - Generally jams WB during the AM rush, sometimes during the PM rush as well. Usually okay EB.

Walt Whitman Bridge - Usually okay in the morning, sometimes jammed EB in the afternoon.

42 Freeway - Generally jammed NB in the AM, SB in the PM.

Well those are the major roadways for commuters in the region. Generally with any kind of commute from the suburbs to CC you'll experience a lot of traffic no matter which way you go. If you commute from suburb to suburb, you'll probably experience worse traffic WB in the morning and EB in the afternoon, but then again it depends which suburb you're commuting to. Keep in mind there are a lot of office parks and headquarters in the northwestern and western suburbs, so of course there's gonna be a lot of traffic heading that way.

Another thing to keep in mind is Friday afternoons are the worst time to go anywhere. I don't know where all of the additional traffic comes from on Fridays that isn't there the other days, but if you're on the road on any given Friday between 4 and 6 PM it seems like everyone and their mother is on the move. I don't know if it's because of so many people leaving town on Fridays to go away for the weekend or if maybe it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy, i.e. everyone knows traffic is worse on Fridays, so everyone leaves work early to beat the rush hour traffic causing the roads to get crowded earlier, thereby fulfilling the prophecy. Whatever it is, it seems everyone leaves work at the same time on Fridays, so Friday afternoons are always worse than any other day. My advice would be to leave work no later than 3 if you don't want to get caught in the gridlock.

Well I hope my little dossier helped for any transplants who might be wondering about traffic. Feel free to add any of your own observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,988 times
This is a great list. Thanks. I'll add a couple of clarifying points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
I-95 (Delco) - Usually in pretty good shape during the AM rush, but very slow both ways heading towards the Commodore Barry Bridge during the PM rush.

I-476/Blue Route - Usually heavier SB during the AM, but both ways during the PM rush.
I-95 between 476 and the Walt Whitman - Good shape northbound during the AM rush. Good shape southbound during the PM rush until about the rt 420 exit (south of the airport), though this eases after the merge onto 476N. (Most of the traffic stays on 95 toward the Commodore Barry & Delaware.)

I-476/Blue Route - The heavy SB traffic during the AM commute is due in part to (seemingly random) lane drops on 476. That traffic lasts only until about exit 3 (Media/Swarthmore) then is pretty clear those last 3+ miles to 95.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 11,378 times
I76 OUTBOUND in the Morning rush hour Approaching the Roosevelt expressway Just west of Montgomery is a Parking lot through Belmont and then is generally heavy but moving through I476 then slows again through 202. This is due to the fact that the city ave merge is a Funnel that fills up to capacity between 7-9am you got 2 lanes coming from down town then a lane of traffic from the Roosevelt merging in which makes 3 which then merge back down to 2 lanes. BUT Wait there's more at the 3 to 2 lane merge you got on ramps on the left and on the right. So if you think about it you got 5 lanes of traffic trying to merge down to 2 lanes THEN at Belmont that on ramp usually fills to capacity in the Morning as well. When you got Hundreds of cars trying to get on at once it will Generate gridlock there for Not enough cars are getting through for the curve or Gladwyne area to congest.

In the Afternoon rush there is a decent Outbound delay at the city ave Merge but the Inflow on the on ramps Both at city ave and Belmont is weaker resulting in more movement then standstill traffic like the AM rush. with that said All bets are off and anything goes for a Friday afternoon rush. And come a Holiday weekend well sometimes the AM rush hour carries over to the afternoon rush Hour with this stretch of road being congested 12 hours out of the day. The only good thing about a holiday weekend Friday is that congestion usually ends earlier.

Weekends in this section can be congested too Especially when there are a lot of outdoor events going on throughout the area or if the weather is nice.

Sundays from 11:30am to 6pm you get the people who came into Philly for the weekend going home Usually a Big delay between the city ave merge and I476 sometimes if it is an eagles Sunday it goes all the way back to passyunk ave in south.
Philly.

Also Keep in Mind that INBOUND I76 between The Roosevelt and I676 on Saturday from 9am to 3pm is usually severely congested due to weekend activities. And it does not end there after 3pm from 3pm to sometimes as late as 8PM INBOUND becomes a complete zoo from 202 through I676 with people going into downtown for dinner shows sporting events and concerts. Also with that the 202 on ramp will become a parking lot and at times INBOUND on Saturday evenings reaches a 1 hour delay.

Hope this was Helpful for the Schuylkill Zoo.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,624 times
From the hinterland (west of Chadds Ford, near Longwood Gardens):

Counterintuitive as it may be, if you need to get to the airport during rush hour, it's better to drive down into Delaware on 202, head east on 92, and pick up I-95 at the Naamans Road entrance. PA to DE to PA. More miles, fewer minutes, and much less aggravating traffic. Works both ways, actually.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:43 PM

513 posts, read 799,272 times
I drive from West Cehster to the airport for work at 6 PM everyday and it seems most of the roads are under construction, yet have been sitting under construction forever. RT 3 West Chester Pike is generally always moving, even the worst traffic isn't that bad. 352 is a mess always, especially nearing RT 1. Providence Rd leading to 252 (construction is being done, meaning they tore up the roads, made it one lane each way, and put up a light and left it) is a disaster. Used to be the fastest way, now it's backed up during rush hour from RT 3 to 252/RT 1. 476 south is usually moving pretty well, except nearing 95. The 95 northbound lanes are clear but the southbound 95 traffic backs up onto the blue route (476).

30 bypass at RT 100 is backed up during PM rush house going westbound. Eastbound is usually moving though. The 30/100/202 intersection is always a disaster every which way during any peak time.

95 South is a parking lot in the AM from Woodhaven to Vine Street. 95 North is a parking lot Vine Street to Woodhaven in the PM.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:42 PM

17 posts, read 37,030 times
If I have to go to Northeast Philly from Camden County New Jersey should I take the Walt Whitman Bridge or the Benjamin Franklin Bridge? I have to arrive in Northeast Philly, near the airport, by 8:30 a.m.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:17 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
I might stay in Jersey go north and then cross over. But I'ld actually have to think about that.
All I know is construction on 95 right now, through Girard,Allegheny, Cottman area is to be avoided if at all possible..

Oh I see you wrote this yesterday, and today is holiday so construction shouldn't be an issue.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:55 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,452 times
US 322 West (Conchester Road) from the I-95 interchange in Chester to Chichester Avenue is always a headache. The road narrows from two lanes to a single lane at Bethel Avenue, creating a traffic bottleneck during rush hour. From Bethel Avenue to Chichester Avenue, traffic can become jammed due to the shopping plaza. Traffic pretty much flows smoothly from Chichester Avenue to US 1/US 202.

I recently heard that there will be an upcoming project to address the congestion and overall dangerous conditions of that stretch of road. I usually take US 322 to PA 452 whenever I want to bypass Chester to get to PA 352 or Media via Knowlton Road.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:43 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
All I know is construction on 95 right now, through Girard,Allegheny, Cottman area is to be avoided if at all possible..
Ugh, I normally take the Aramingo Ave. exit to get to my son's place, and since the construction on 95, it's been an absolute nightmare. Still haven't figured out a good way to get around the mess.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:22 PM

17 posts, read 37,030 times
I posted earlier, but I'm clarifying....I'm traveling from Camden County New Jersey,( near Gloucester County where the AC Expressway splits off from Rt 42 in Turnersville).. I just started a job and have to arrive in Northeast Philly, near the airport, by 8:30 a.m. M-F Should I take the Walt Whitman Bridge or the Benjamin Franklin Bridge? I also considered the Betsy Ross Bridge because I would skip a lot of 95 North traffic, but I think Route 130 in Jersey might be awful. Taking Betsy Ross is tempting, but nobody I've talked to has ever tried it and nobody can tell me how bad Rt 130 North off of Rt 42 (near Gloucester City) is to travel up to Rt 90 for the Betsy Ross. I'd love to miss the 95N traffic, but 130 has lights so it could be worse. I started a different thread, but I'm trying to get more viewers to help me! I don't think RT 73 to the Tacony will work due to all the traffic in Mount Laurel, Cherry Hill area. Thanks!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia