U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-07-2012, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,678 times
Default State Emissions stickers

I'm confused as to what I should be be paying for an emissions sticker for my GMC 2006 Savana Van. The one I have now is two years old.

Seems like every garage I call has different prices.

Is it not regulated in PA and how do they enforce this law?

In nearby Delaware and New Jersey they have to get a sticker every two years yet in PA it's required EVERY YEAR! Why is that?

Would appreciate input from anyone!

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-07-2012, 05:14 PM

252 posts, read 186,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallwall View Post
I'm confused as to what I should be be paying for an emissions sticker for my GMC 2006 Savana Van. The one I have now is two years old.

Seems like every garage I call has different prices.

Is it not regulated in PA and how do they enforce this law?

In nearby Delaware and New Jersey they have to get a sticker every two years yet in PA it's required EVERY YEAR! Why is that?

Would appreciate input from anyone!

Thanks much!
There's no set (state-established) price that I'm aware of. Just go to the place that charges the least (annoying, I'll agree, to have to shop around for something like this).
Can't begin to explain why DE and NJ are slacker than PA, other than air quality and revenue aren't as high on their lists :-)
FYI: the emissions test is not required if you drove less than 5,000 miles in the previous year.

Unread 02-07-2012, 08:44 PM

884 posts, read 1,225,011 times
> Seems like every garage I call has different prices.
Shop around for prices. Look for mailers from local garages. Usually they bundle prices such as for annual Mechanical Inspection + Annual Emissions Inspection = one price. And if the price is substantially lower then someone else, ask if it includes these "gotcha" items:
- data transmission fees.
- cost of window stickers.
- any other costs.
- Do you have to pay even if any inspection fails?

> Is it not regulated in PA and how do they enforce this law?
If police see you without a sticker, they enforce it. It's also enforced by tracking you VIN number. When an annual test is done, the garage sends (data transmission fees) the readings to a PennDOT database. When you renew your vehicle's license, a check is done to see if the emissions inspection is current

> In nearby Delaware and New Jersey they have to get a sticker every two years yet in PA it's required EVERY YEAR! Why is that?
Who knows. But take a drive in northern NJ, and see all the beater cars on the highway and you wonder if it isn't every ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia