Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 AM

123 posts, read 291,427 times

Advertisements

Them being so close I figure they must have some things in common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
On the whole Philly has the most similarity to Brooklyn and Queens with a dash of Manhattan and SI. Philly is much smaller (like the size of one borough) and more a rowhouse city proportionally than NYC. There are areas that will feel similar and areas that will feel different.

On the whole Philly may have the most resemblance of any other US city but the scale is so different I am not sure there is a perfect comparison

Some areas where I personally similarities
Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

But you could say Queens in an area like this

Or Staten Island

But both are different enough they are their own

Old 02-12-2012, 08:47 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
On my first visit here, I got a Soho-Greenwich vibe from Old City:

54 North 3rd Street, Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps
54 North 3rd Street, Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Old 02-12-2012, 08:47 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,325 times
The boroughs of NYC are large and varied in and of themselves just like Philadelphia is, so it's not quite that simple.
And generally, even the outer boroughs of NYC can feel somewhat "bigger" than anyplace in Philadelphia (partly by being part of NYC and sharing in that energy, and partly because some of the outer boroughs alone have many more people in them than Philly). But there are certainly a lot of similarities to be found here and there, as one would imagine of two large cities of a similar age that are close together.

As a native Philadelphian who's been living in Brooklyn for several years (which I think is the single borough of NYC that overall has the most similarities to Philadelphia), here's a few things I would say compare well:

-Rittenhouse Square (meaning the neighborhood not the park) looks and feels a lot like Brooklyn Heights.
-University City reminds me of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, though the architecture is a little different.
-Northeast Philly overall feels a lot like parts of Queens (neighborhoods like Woodhaven, Middle Village, etc) and some of postwar Brooklyn (eg Midwood).
-present day Northern Liberties is somewhat like Williamsburg & parts of Greenpoint
-Center City residential neighborhoods in general look & feel a lot like the older Brooklyn neighborhoods just south of downtown (Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, and Carroll Gardens) that are a mix of mostly 3-4 story brick rowhomes and some brownstones.
-Chestnut Hill has many similarities to Ditmas Park in Brooklyn (although the adjacent areas are very different, as CH is bounded by park areas on 3 sides and the suburbs on the other, while Ditmas Park is surrounded by more dense urban areas).
-the parts of Center City with the skyscrapers could I suppose be said to superficially look a little bit like some parts of midtown if you took the people away, but honestly I don't think they feel very similar.
-the only parts of Manhattan that really remind me of Philly at all are Gramercy Park right around the park, a few spots in West Village west of 7th Ave, and a few spots in Harlem.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
The boroughs of NYC are large and varied in and of themselves just like Philadelphia is, so it's not quite that simple.
And generally, even the outer boroughs of NYC can feel somewhat "bigger" than anyplace in Philadelphia (partly by being part of NYC and sharing in that energy, and partly because some of the outer boroughs alone have many more people in them than Philly). But there are certainly a lot of similarities to be found here and there, as one would imagine of two large cities of a similar age that are close together.

As a native Philadelphian who's been living in Brooklyn for several years (which I think is the single borough of NYC that overall has the most similarities to Philadelphia), here's a few things I would say compare well:

-Rittenhouse Square (meaning the neighborhood not the park) looks and feels a lot like Brooklyn Heights.
-University City reminds me of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, though the architecture is a little different.
-Northeast Philly overall feels a lot like parts of Queens (neighborhoods like Woodhaven, Middle Village, etc) and some of postwar Brooklyn (eg Midwood).
-present day Northern Liberties is somewhat like Williamsburg & parts of Greenpoint
-Center City residential neighborhoods in general look & feel a lot like the older Brooklyn neighborhoods just south of downtown (Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, and Carroll Gardens) that are a mix of mostly 3-4 story brick rowhomes and some brownstones.
-Chestnut Hill has many similarities to Ditmas Park in Brooklyn (although the adjacent areas are very different, as CH is bounded by park areas on 3 sides and the suburbs on the other, while Ditmas Park is surrounded by more dense urban areas).
-the parts of Center City with the skyscrapers could I suppose be said to superficially look a little bit like some parts of midtown if you took the people away, but honestly I don't think they feel very similar.
-the only parts of Manhattan that really remind me of Philly at all are Gramercy Park right around the park, a few spots in West Village west of 7th Ave, and a few spots in Harlem.
I agree on Manhattan; the parts of Philly to me that feel similar to Manhattan are more West Village (maybe a splatter of SOHO to jms point)than Midtown (one could argue a block or two of CC feels like Midtown but to me that is pushing it)

Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I agree on Manhattan; the parts of Philly to me that feel similar to Manhattan are more West Village (maybe a splatter of SOHO to jms point)than Midtown (one could argue a block or two of CC feels like Midtown but to me that is pushing it)
Yeah, the only parts of CC that I specifically sort-of-compared to midtown (only because that's something people like to do) was just the part "with the skyscrapers". Overall as I said there is very little in Manhattan that I find very similar to Philly. Skyscrapers are more or less generic, and the more residential parts of CC are much more like parts of Brooklyn.

And those spots jm02 posted (ie Old City) to me don't really look/feel much like modern day soho at all, aside from both areas having some cast iron frame buildings. But of course everyone is struck differently.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:16 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Yeah, the only parts of CC that I specifically sort-of-compared to midtown (only because that's something people like to do) was just the part "with the skyscrapers". Overall as I said there is very little in Manhattan that I find very similar to Philly. Skyscrapers are more or less generic, and the more residential parts of CC are much more like parts of Brooklyn.

And those spots jm02 posted (ie Old City) to me don't really look/feel much like modern day soho at all, aside from both areas having some cast iron frame buildings. But of course everyone is struck differently.
Agree that little in Philly is reminiscent of Manhattan. My initial impressions of Old City brought to mind an amalgam of Soho, the Lower East Side and West Village, however. It's the combo of the cast iron, fire escapes and boutiques and galleries at street level that evoked that sense of place. As you note, impressions vary.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
I lived on LI, in northern Queens and upper east side Manhattan over 20 years. I have lived in Center City for 25 years. IMO NE philly is like parts of Queens and CC is like Manhattan above 59th St, east and west, if you ignore the very wide N-S avenues and stick to cross streets. I have never understood the comparison between Philly and Brooklyn. I just don't see it.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:47 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Northeast Philly and Staten Island at least to me have some similarities.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,182 times
In terms of center city neighborhoods, i'd say:

Rittenhouse = Upper East Side
Society Hill = Brooklyn Heights
Old City = Greenwich Village
Market St = Midtown
Chinatown = Chinatown
WashWest/Gayborhood = Chelsea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia