U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 5,394 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are new to the area and I am working in Center City (my wife works from home). We are currently staying at my in-laws house in Broomall but would like to start house hunting and want to explore all of the options.

Can anyone suggest another suburb that is 30-40 minutes from Center City?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM

426 posts, read 655,024 times
From Pennsylvania suburbs, your best bet is usually to take the SEPTA regional rail into Center City. This map may help you narrow things down: SEPTA | Clickable Regional Rail & Rail Transit Map

The Paoli/Thorndale (formerly called the R5) and Media/Elwyn (formerly R3) lines are very popular with commuters working in Center City.

If you want to take public transportation from New Jersey suburbs, you'd probably ride PATCO. Check this map: PATCO Port Authority Transit Corporation - Route Map

Your responses to these standard forum questions:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...residents.html
might make responses a bit more helpful for you. Thanks and good luck!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM

I will be driving to and from work as my building has a parking garage and I have a reserved spot. We are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with good schools.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM

3,830 posts, read 5,728,887 times
Do you want to spend $250K or $750K? You'll get better responses if you are more specific about what you are looking for, which is why the previous poster linked the forum page.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 PM

$350k is the price range we are in.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 PM

6,350 posts, read 4,527,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rummy666 View Post
$350k is the price range we are in.
Delaware County, PA
In addition to Broomall (which is within Marple) I would recommend:
Radnor*
Haverford
Springfield
Newtown
Greater Media (the borough proper plus Upper Providence, Nether Providence, Middletown)
Swarthmore

Montgomery County, PA
Lower Merion* (particularly the areas closer to City Line [parts of Bala-Cynwyd, Merion, Wynnewood, and Penn Wynne] plus Ardmore)
Narberth*
Abington
Cheltenham
Springfield
Jenkintown
Plymouth
Whitemarsh

Camden County, NJ
Haddonfield*
Haddon Heights
Haddon Township
Collingswood
Cherry Hill
Voorhees

Burlington County, NJ
Moorestown*
Mount Laurel
Evesham
Medford (pushing that 40-minute commute a little bit, but it's a really nice area, and thanks to a comparatively depressed South Jersey real estate market, quite affordable).

The areas marked with asterisks are theoretically within your price range, but you'll get a bit less bang for your buck in comparison to the others. You may find, however, that the schools/housing stock/community feel/amenities are big enough pros to offset this con.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:03 PM

674 posts, read 1,371,142 times
I will add Lower Bucks County -
Langhorne, Bensalem, Newtown, Yardley .. anywhere close to I-95.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,715,349 times
These may be helpful

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Houses for Rent on Realtor.com - Realtor.com®

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,466,090 times
all excellent areas you are getting advise on.. That should give you plenty to zero in on where you want to live..

Old 02-14-2012, 07:52 AM

908 posts, read 933,999 times
There are dozens of good places to live in the philadelphia suburbs. i'd try to narrow down you preferred general location (ie. north of city, west of city, etc) and the things that are most important (ie. schools, commute time, age of house, size of house/yard, suburban vs town, etc). Otherwise, people will just tell you where THEY live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia