U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 AM

7,699 posts, read 11,338,495 times
OK, let's end the "blame game" and get back to the original topic.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 4,588 times
Ok, trying to put all this together. My husband, who drives, will leaver much earlier that I in the am. I was thinking of Warrington because I have family there that would help get the kids to school, etc., but how far is Doylestown from there? Sounds like a great place too.
Also, Im so used to public tranportation in NYC, Im assuming its not the same in PA? Is it far fetched to think either taxi/train/bus to major mode of transit in PA to NY? Sorry if these questions are goofy, just trying to get a feel for being a stranger. Budget wise, tough question. We are selling a house here... Is there a rental market while we figure it out? Thanks all!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-02-2012 at 08:36 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 PM

37 posts, read 30,665 times
I live in Newtown and yes there are trains close by in Langhore and levittown. It does the West Trenton Line Regional Railand could get you to Trenton. From there I am not much of a help, but if you look at train maps and were they take you can figure something out.

FYI a lot of people who live in Bucks County do work in New York and not in Philly. So you would not be the only one making the long commute.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:14 AM

7,699 posts, read 11,338,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdsenses View Post
Ok, trying to put all this together. My husband, who drives, will leaver much earlier that I in the am. I was thinking of Warrington because I have family there that would help get the kids to school, etc., but how far is Doylestown from there? Sounds like a great place too.
Also, Im so used to public tranportation in NY, Im assuming its not the same in PA? Is it far fetched to think either taxi/train/bus to major mode of transit in PA to NY? Sorry if these questions are goofy, just trying to get a feel for being a stranger. Budget wise, tough question. We are selling a house here... Is there a rental market while we figure it out? Thanks all!
Is your husband's commute a factor as well? Or he is willing to concede to your own commute and the desire to be near your family? I'm asking because you have not yet shared where he is commuting to.

Per Google Maps, Doylestown is about 5 miles away from Warrington. So that would certainly be convenient enough to visit family and maybe help with most daytime errands. Getting kids to school might be a bit of a challenge, unless your local family knows the backroads enough to minimize the impact of rush hour traffic along Rt. 611/Old York Road.

Public transportation is pretty good in the Philly metro but, not unlike NYC, it's still based on largely on the "hub-and-spoke" model emanating out of the city. Besides the Regional Rail, cross-suburb transit is not as extensive as it is inside the city, particularly as you get as far out as Doylestown and Warrington. Beyond katnip kid's commuter bus suggestion, the most convenient and likely inexpensive commute would require living near one of the train stations along the Trenton (not West Trenton) Regional Rail line.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by Tone509; 03-02-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 AM

10,149 posts, read 15,886,698 times
In CC Philadelphia one could get by without a car but I don't really know how you do that in the suburbs if you want to be involved in your kids school activities, or even getting around for groceries. It's not like there are little corner markets. Finding a house with a pre-school within walking distance might be possible (another very limiting factor) but how do you get them to play dates? Once they get in full time school that's going to be near impossible since schools are generally not all in town. Actually, I don't know how you are getting around LI without a car, so perhaps you've already figured out how to make it work.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,555 times
actually far northern bucks county along the delaware river has a much less stressful commute to nyc transbridge bus service from frenchtown to pabt. also you can drive 20 minutes to get transbridge in clinton nj thats an express route along i 78 upper bucks is rural still for now but its quirky area and 75 minutes west to the holland tunnel. you also get most of nyc tv channels on cable best thing the property taxes are 50% less than hunterdon county nj just across the river. be prepared to drive 20 minutes to get to any decent stores the property and homes start in the high 200s up to millions...... this area is filled with nyc residents with country houses and weekend tourists.... schools are blue ribbon and if you dont like semi rural living than its not for you.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 AM

3,487 posts, read 4,954,531 times
Public transportation in Bucks County is nothing at all like the public transportation system around the NYC metro area and cannot be compared.

I literally don't know how you would do this. I love Doylestown, but getting from Doylestown to NYC on a daily basis during work hours will be an expensive and extremely lengthy nightmare.

Most of the usual recommendations are out for you because you don't drive, so getting to the Trenton train station for the commute to NYC will be next to impossible... unless you happen to have a neighbor who does the same thing and you can car pool. I guess the odds of that are low.

My husband did a similar commute in the other direction (Hoboken to near Ewing) for a year with a car and it was awful.

I'm afraid (and I'm not trying to be mean) that I would do almost anything to avoid doing this. Could you learn to drive, get a small second car so you could at least get to a station? I certainly wouldn't want to live within walking distance to Trenton station (no offense to anyone), and that location already puts you way too far away from family to rely on daily help with the kids.

The ability to get to Trenton or Hamilton station is basically the key to making your plan even slightly do'able on a daily basis... and for that you need a car.

I'm sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear but better you understand this stuff now then move here and discover that you literally can't get to work.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:35 AM

875 posts, read 830,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Public transportation in Bucks County is nothing at all like the public transportation system around the NYC metro area and cannot be compared.

I literally don't know how you would do this. I love Doylestown, but getting from Doylestown to NYC on a daily basis during work hours will be an expensive and extremely lengthy nightmare.
i wouldn't want to commute from Doylestown to Philadelphia on a daily basis, much less New York.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-06-2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: fixed html

Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 PM

6 posts, read 4,139 times
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We are looking at the PA side. Doylestown would be too far from the Trenton Transit Center, and we couldn't go into Center Philly just to go back into Manhattan. So we narrowed it down to Langhorne, Yardley, and Newtown. How can I investigate the schools? Is there a certification process that PA schools undergo to rate them? In NJ, good schools are considered "Blue Ribbon", but what is that in PA? A few other threads discuss drug/crime in Morrisville. Is this correct?

Old 03-23-2012, 06:23 AM

875 posts, read 830,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1016 View Post
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We are looking at the PA side. Doylestown would be too far from the Trenton Transit Center, and we couldn't go into Center Philly just to go back into Manhattan. So we narrowed it down to Langhorne, Yardley, and Newtown. How can I investigate the schools? Is there a certification process that PA schools undergo to rate them? In NJ, good schools are considered "Blue Ribbon", but what is that in PA? A few other threads discuss drug/crime in Morrisville. Is this correct?
There are "blue ribbon" schools in PA as well. I belive it's a federal certification, not a state certification. The areas you're looking at are Council Rock, Pennsbury, and Neshaminy SDs. All three are good, but my impression is that Council Rock is generally considered better than Pennsbury which is generally considered better than Neshaminy . . . but at some point you're just splitting hairs. You can also look at sites like GreatSchools and SchoolDigger for rankings, in addition to local rankings put out by Philadelphia Magazine.

http://www.greatschools.org/

Pennsylvania State High Schools - PA School Rankings

The Top 50 School Districts 2008 - Philadelphia Magazine - phillymag.com

http://www2.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...ewiderank.html

Last edited by Angus215; 03-23-2012 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia