U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM
HAQ HAQ started this thread

8 posts, read 9,406 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody, I am taking a job in Collegeville and will be relocating with my wife and 1.5 year-old daughter. Is there a walkable area close to Collegeville that we could live in? I don't mind the commute but my wife would like to live somewhere where she could actually walk to a grocery store, etc. We are looking for a 3BR house with a (small) back yard. Rough prices? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM

8,885 posts, read 7,799,684 times
no grocery store (AFAIK) but phoenixville is a walkable community. Paoli, which isn't quaint, is surprisingly walkable with a train station, a couple pharmacies, and a grocery store withing walking distance of a lot of homes (particularly the townhomes near the intersection of 252 and 30). ~20 min drive to collegeville.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:01 PM

10,450 posts, read 16,929,805 times
There's a grocery store in Collegeville near Ursinus college. My son and I stopped in because we were early for a college visit. Seems to me it was within walking distance of the downtown area. I thought Collegeville was a nice little town and having Ursinus right there is a real bonus. I would encourage you to look there first.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:07 PM

19,327 posts, read 16,646,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAQ View Post
Hi Everybody, I am taking a job in Collegeville and will be relocating with my wife and 1.5 year-old daughter. Is there a walkable area close to Collegeville that we could live in? I don't mind the commute but my wife would like to live somewhere where she could actually walk to a grocery store, etc. We are looking for a 3BR house with a (small) back yard. Rough prices? Thanks!
Walkable has many incarnations. That being said Collegevill is very much suburban with a few small town aspects thrown in certain areas.

Maybe for perspective; if you currently live in a walkable area or have an example of the like it may help to offer a suggestion.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Maybe for perspective; if you currently live in a walkable area or have an example of the like it may help to offer a suggestion.
What I mean is that I don't need the car to go to the store to buy for e.g. milk because it is just a 10-15 min walk. That there are sidewalks. That if I just want to go walking but still see people, shops, cars (not just trees) I can do it without taking the car.
I currently live in a city and have never lived in a suburban area before.
Hope it adds information! Thanks in advance

Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM

10,450 posts, read 16,929,805 times
There are certainly more walkable towns around Collegeville. My suggestion is to start there and see if it would work. It's just nice to be able to live and work in the same place. It's not as if Collegeville was one of the bad towns. It's got good schools and a college. I live 12 minutes and one stoplight from where I work and it's much nicer then commuting 20, 30 minutes through traffic.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 PM

Thank you all! I have some good information now to start house hunting.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 AM

548 posts, read 1,382,961 times
I was looking for essentially the same thing you were when I moved to the area. We rented in Phoenixville, but ended up buying a house in Ambler. We found Ambler to be a little more our speed. Ambler is building a new grocery store right downtown as well.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 PM

47 posts, read 78,492 times
If you're from the city and never lived in the burbs before, Collegeville will bore you to death (and most stores aren't walkable). It has a quaint little downtown but nothing, grocery-wise. However, one thing Collegeville DOES have that cities don't is a Wegmans. Worth the 5 minute drive and then some. Google it. That's the place for groceries, gourmet prepared meals, and an awesome hangout in general. Worth your time, believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia