U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 42,048 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I will be moving to Philadelphia to work at Boeing facilities. I had never live in Philadelphia, so I need your help. I am a single female, so a safety place to live is my priority. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment ($700-850) near public transportation, grocery stores, pharmacy, etc. I will not have car maybe for the first 2 or 3 months, so I need everything the most close as possible. I need public transportation that bring me close to Boeing.

Please list the best and safe areas that I can consider or if possible list specific name of apartments.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM

I was looking some areas in Delaware County like:

-Swarthmore
-Brookhaven
-Parkside
-Springfield
-Ridley
-Ridley Park
-Woodlyn

Please give me any advise of these sites (safety, good, bad, etc.) and any other you think I should consider and the ones I should run away.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 PM

4,920 posts, read 13,043,804 times
Swarthmore,Media,Wallingford,Ridley Park would probably be the way I would go if you can find an apartment. I'd shy away from Woodlyn,Parkside and definitely Chester.

Good luck. Hope someone can help you with specific apt complexes.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 AM

958 posts, read 1,005,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjroxy22 View Post
I was looking some areas in Delaware County like:

-Swarthmore
-Brookhaven
-Parkside
-Springfield
-Ridley
-Ridley Park
-Woodlyn

Please give me any advise of these sites (safety, good, bad, etc.) and any other you think I should consider and the ones I should run away.

Thanks
Yes to Swarthmore (the nicest out of all of them), yes to Springfield, CERTAIN parts of Ridley township (the parts nearest Chester are seeing more problems lately), yes to Ridley Park. No to Parkside, no to Woodlyn, and Brookhaven is between a yes and a no I guess.

You could also try Morton or Secane.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 PM

I really appreciate your help!

What about Glenolden, Holmes and Wallingford?

Last edited by fjroxy22; 03-06-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 03:00 PM

958 posts, read 1,005,970 times
Holmes is a maybe. Glendolden isn't what it used to be. It's not necessarily unsafe or bad but it's in a bad school district, and it borders or is near some places that have always been fairly hard-nosed and are getting a bit rougher. Basically, in Delaware County the crime is moving eastward from Chester and Westward from Philly. You could try the sections of Glenolden closest to Secane or closest to Holmes possibly. When it comes to the more southernmost parts of Delaware County, the best place to be is the circle that goes from Ridley Park in the southwest, to Holmes in the southeast, to Secane in the east, to Springfield in the north, and then as far west as you want as long as you keep Parkside and Chester Township and everything below it off the list, including Trainer and possibly even Linwood and Marcus Hook. Everything north of there is plenty safe. Going back to the circle, everything above Township Line Rd is nice, including the sections of Upper Darby township that are above it.

It really goes by school districts around here. Don't live anywhere in the Southeast Delco or Chester-Upland school districts. Parts of William Penn SD like Lansdowne have nicer parts and people seem to be moving there and enjoying it but there are also parts where you definitely don't want to live. Upper Darby SD has nicer sections the further away from 69th Street you are and of course the nicer parts of Drexel Hill but the closer to Philly you get in that township, the less safe it's going to be. Every other school district for the most part is perfectly safe throughout.

If you give me the names/addresses of some apartments you might be looking at, I can give you the details on the area and whether those apartments are a smart choice or not. Certain places that might be safe and great to live in if you live in a house might have apartments in bad sections and vise versa.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:03 PM

263 posts, read 669,223 times
So Woodlyn and Crum Lynne are not so nice and safe now?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Holmes is a maybe. Glendolden isn't what it used to be. It's not necessarily unsafe or bad but it's in a bad school district, and it borders or is near some places that have always been fairly hard-nosed and are getting a bit rougher. Basically, in Delaware County the crime is moving eastward from Chester and Westward from Philly. You could try the sections of Glenolden closest to Secane or closest to Holmes possibly. When it comes to the more southernmost parts of Delaware County, the best place to be is the circle that goes from Ridley Park in the southwest, to Holmes in the southeast, to Secane in the east, to Springfield in the north, and then as far west as you want as long as you keep Parkside and Chester Township and everything below it off the list, including Trainer and possibly even Linwood and Marcus Hook. Everything north of there is plenty safe. Going back to the circle, everything above Township Line Rd is nice, including the sections of Upper Darby township that are above it.

It really goes by school districts around here. Don't live anywhere in the Southeast Delco or Chester-Upland school districts. Parts of William Penn SD like Lansdowne have nicer parts and people seem to be moving there and enjoying it but there are also parts where you definitely don't want to live. Upper Darby SD has nicer sections the further away from 69th Street you are and of course the nicer parts of Drexel Hill but the closer to Philly you get in that township, the less safe it's going to be. Every other school district for the most part is perfectly safe throughout.

If you give me the names/addresses of some apartments you might be looking at, I can give you the details on the area and whether those apartments are a smart choice or not. Certain places that might be safe and great to live in if you live in a house might have apartments in bad sections and vise versa.

I was looking at these: (but according with your advices I guess I have to eliminate some)

(1) Parkwoode II
204 E. Chester Pike
Ridley Park, PA 19078

(2) 221 Kedron Avenue, Folsom, PA.

(3) 1300 MacDade Blvd, Folsom, PA

(4) Green Forest Apts.
314 E. 24th Street Chester, PA 19013

(5) Wallingfors Estates Apts.
2701 Madison Street Chester, PA 19013

(6) Macdade Apartments
1400 W. MacDade Blvd | Woodlyn, PA 19094

(7) Media Apartments and Greenhill Townhomes
397 East Baltimore Pike Media, PA 1906

(8) Strath Haven Condo
801 Yale Avenue, Swarthmore PA 19081

(9) Briarcliff Condos
801 South Chester Road, Swarthmore PA 19081

(10) Orange St at Baltimore Pike, Media PA

(11) GOVERNOR PRINTZ APARTMENTS
410-416 Governor Printz Boulevard
Lester, PA 19029

(12) CAMEO COURT APARTMENTS
400 Chester Pike
Glenolden, PA 19036

(13) Holmes Garden
201 Holmes Road
Holmes, PA 19043

(14) Silver Lake
6 Amosland Road
Morton, PA 19070

(15) SAMANNA APARTMENTS
900 MacDade Boulevard
Ridley Township, PA 19078

Consider that I would not have car for the first months, so I have to take public transportation to Boeing and I need grocery stores, pharmacies,... the most close as possible. And the most important, SAFETY!!!

I really appreciate your help!!!

Last edited by fjroxy22; 03-07-2012 at 07:09 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,071 times
I have a question as well: Moving to relocate and work near the Boeing Ridley Park area as well. Where is a good location for a family to live with two kids (one in high school and the other in elementary)? Looking to rent a house but want the safety of family members. High School is very important so that will have a factor where we would relocate.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 PM

4,920 posts, read 13,043,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowdriver3579 View Post
I have a question as well: Moving to relocate and work near the Boeing Ridley Park area as well. Where is a good location for a family to live with two kids (one in high school and the other in elementary)? Looking to rent a house but want the safety of family members. High School is very important so that will have a factor where we would relocate.

Thanks in advance.

Budget aside I would suggest trying to target the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District or Rose Tree Media school district. These are the 2 best school districts in that part of the region.

Towns in the Wallingford-Swarthmore District are not surprisingly Swarthmore ,Wallingford ,Nether Providence.

Rose Tree Media is the towns of Media, Middletown Township, Upper Providence.

A step below those two would be Springfield Delaware County.

Ridley Township would be closest to Boeing and its probably a notch below Springfield as far as schools. Good solid schools for Ridley but Rose Tree Media and Wallingford Swarthmore are top notch.

All these areas are usually free of any violent crime. The town of Ridley Park has a nice little walkable downtown,only a couple miles from Boeing..

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia