Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 AM

8 posts, read 15,797 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

First of all - thanks so much for taking the time to even read this thread - I really appreciate it! It's been a nightmare trying to look for an apartment to rent in Philadelphia - I've been finding it difficult to find a place that's within my budget. Here goes:

I'm a 24 male planning to move around Mid-May from Buffalo, NY as I will be working in Temple University as a post-bac research assistant (just graduated and got a job here). I've never been here in Philadelphia yet (probably why I'm so clueless). I have heard that the area around Temple University is a really shady one, as such, I'm looking for a much safer place to live in.

I'm planning to rent an apartment for around $500-$650 tops - really, I only need a room to stay. I have no preferences between high-rise or walk-ups, and would prefer a calm/quiet neighbourhood! That said, my 3 top concerns are safety, commute times to Temple University and grocery shopping. I plan to commute by public transport to Temple, and would love a place that is near a subway that drops me off at Temple.

I'd be good living with people of a diverse neighbourhood, but again would prefer a quiet place.

I would be glad to receive any ideas from any kind people on the forum right here!

Thanks,
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:09 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myanlee View Post
Hello all,

First of all - thanks so much for taking the time to even read this thread - I really appreciate it! It's been a nightmare trying to look for an apartment to rent in Philadelphia - I've been finding it difficult to find a place that's within my budget. Here goes:

I'm a 24 male planning to move around Mid-May from Buffalo, NY as I will be working in Temple University as a post-bac research assistant (just graduated and got a job here). I've never been here in Philadelphia yet (probably why I'm so clueless). I have heard that the area around Temple University is a really shady one, as such, I'm looking for a much safer place to live in.

I'm planning to rent an apartment for around $500-$650 tops - really, I only need a room to stay. I have no preferences between high-rise or walk-ups, and would prefer a calm/quiet neighbourhood! That said, my 3 top concerns are safety, commute times to Temple University and grocery shopping. I plan to commute by public transport to Temple, and would love a place that is near a subway that drops me off at Temple.

I'd be good living with people of a diverse neighbourhood, but again would prefer a quiet place.

I would be glad to receive any ideas from any kind people on the forum right here!

Thanks,
Ryan
You didn't specify whether or not you're open to having roomate(s). If youre' open to sharing a place, you can find housing in decently safe locations all around the Temple campus. If you need a single, you're working within a pretty tight budget Man. I would say your best bet is to look into some sort of school-sponsored apt-style housing (I'm assuming you're done with dorm life). Otherwise, to accomodate your wants, my suggestion would be deeper South Philly. Your commute would be a bit longer than I'm sure you'd like, but it can be done completely via public transit, so no car needed. For a single around Temple under 800 bucks, you're getting into fairly sketchy locations and I wouldn't advise someone completely new to the city to live in those areas.

One specific suggestion -- check out Liberties West on 8th and Fairmount. It's pretty safe, close, affordable and filled with Temple students. You might even be able to get your own studio for around 650ish.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times
You can rent a room in a boarding house for that amount, and not in a "good" area. Thats about it.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:19 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
At that price you'll probably need a roommate to be in a good area.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM

8 posts, read 15,797 times
Hey all,

Thanks for the well-meaning replies. Yes -- I fully intend to share an apartment with other people. Is that still possible?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
$500 - $600 can get you a room in a house in a number of good areas. Try looking around Fishtown/Port Richmond, or also around South Philly. Areas that are further south, say south of Snyder are cheaper than the areas closer to Center City. Also, the rents in University City aren't that high either if you know where to look. I pay less than $500 a month and live in a good area of University City (Cedar Park). Just make sure you're close enough to the subway so you can get to Temple.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
^^ Marius gave some great advice... I wouldn't suggest living in the area around Temple U to anyone who isn't a student... but students are fine living in the area. It's truly not that bad. I wouldn't fear the area. There isn't much to worry about. The area around Temple's main campus is truly becoming a great area more-so every year (to the North and East it's still sketchy... and to the war west past 18th Street). The area around the Health Sciences Campus further into North Philly is still surrounded by some hardcore slums

Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times
If you do end up moving to Philly at least get your carry permit.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
I would go for Northern Liberties or Fishtown if you want to be able to ride a bike or take the bus there in 5-10 minutes.

South Philly is a good option for a 15-20 minute subway ride. In South Philly I would look to be within walking distance of the subway from the Ellsworth/Federal station down to Snyder

Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I would go for Northern Liberties or Fishtown if you want to be able to ride a bike or take the bus there in 5-10 minutes.
Also consider the possibilities regional rail opens up for you (going north, northwest): the Manayunk/Norristown, Chestnut Hill East and Chestnut Hill West lines all stop at Temple. So you could add Manayunk, East Falls, Germantown and East/West Mt Airy to your search. These would be on average maybe a 10-15 minute ride to Temple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia