Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:56 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by do sum'n View Post
o ok so basically unless u got kids and schools are an issue, there is no point to live in the burbs? cuz seems even for calmer pace philly got some laid back nhoods like mt airy so its kinda suburban but still close to action
or unless u work in the burbs obviously
One thing is that a large number of jobs in the Philly area are located in the suburbs (partly because of tax issues). Many people reverse-commute from their homes in the city, to their jobs in the suburbs. Those people currently pay the wage tax, but would entirely avoid it if they lived in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
One thing is that a large number of jobs in the Philly area are located in the suburbs (partly because of tax issues). Many people reverse-commute from their homes in the city, to their jobs in the suburbs. Those people currently pay the wage tax, but would entirely avoid it if they lived in the suburbs.
Double indemnity...having to live in the city,paying their taxes and having no advantages of the suburbs...

Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Center City, Philadelphia- 279,412 employees
http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/SOCC2013.pdf

University City, Philadelphia- ~70,000 employees
The State of University City 2012/13

King of Prussia, PA- 55,000 employees (not including surrounding large business districts such as Conshohocken and Bala Cynwyd)
http://www.visitkop.com/wp-content/u...nualReport.pdf

No. Center City still has the highest concentration of jobs. Obviously the suburbs are going to have more jobs overall, because the suburbs are so much larger on every metric (population and land area). For what city is that not true?

Also, there are 253,000 workers who commute into the city for work everyday, and 147,000 who reverse commute to the suburbs. So you are incorrect.
Commuters to Phila. easily outnumber those leaving city, figures show - Philly.com

Old 05-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Double indemnity...having to live in the city,paying their taxes and having no advantages of the suburbs...
Having to live in the suburbs, paying higher property taxes, more on gas and car expenses and having none of the advantages of the city (nightlife, transit, cultural amenities, walk-ability, shopping, top notch restaurants, etc.)

See what I did there?

Old 05-22-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Not sure I follow that logic. Unless you're saying people are being FORCED to live in the city, and don't do so because they personally see some advantages to living there.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Center City, Philadelphia- 279,412 employees
http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/SOCC2013.pdf

University City, Philadelphia- ~70,000 employees
The State of University City 2012/13

King of Prussia, PA- 55,000 employees (not including surrounding large business districts such as Conshohocken and Bala Cynwyd)
http://www.visitkop.com/wp-content/u...nualReport.pdf

No. Center City still has the highest concentration of jobs. Obviously the suburbs are going to have more jobs overall, because the suburbs are so much larger on every metric (population and land area). For what city is that not true?

Also, there are 253,000 workers who commute into the city for work everyday, and 147,000 who reverse commute to the suburbs. So you are incorrect.
Commuters to Phila. easily outnumber those leaving city, figures show - Philly.com
"No?"
Who are you arguing with? Did you just copy/paste that from another thread? What did I state that was in any way untrue?

Are you taking issue with the word "many"? 147,000 seems like "a large number", or "many" to me.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
"No?"
Who are you arguing with? Did you just copy/paste that from another thread? What did I state that was in any way untrue?

Are you taking issue with the word "many"? 147,000 seems like "a large number", or "many" to me.
But the overwhelming majority still commute into the city. Far more than reverse commuters. I would assume most cities have reverse commuters to the suburbs.

The way you worded it seemed like you didn't know. Just informing you. Philadelphia still has the overwhelming amount of employees.

Philadelphia Employment- 570,612
Philadelphia County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Montgomery County Employment- 400,239

Chester County Employment- 224,631
Chester County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Camden County Employment- 167,916

Percentage of Downtown Office Space in Metro:

1. San Francisco- 71.29%
2. New York- 69.56%
3. Chicago- 55.45%
4. Seattle- 40.67%
5. Boston- 36.08%
6. Washington D.C.- 31.51%
7. Philadelphia- 27.57%
8. Atlanta- 23.19%
9. Houston- 19.35%
10. Baltimore- 17.76%
11. Denver- 16.65%
12. Los Angeles- 14.57%

There aren't many cities with higher concentrations of employment Downtown than Philadelphia
http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/...employment.pdf

Old 05-22-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
But the overwhelming majority still commute into the city. Far more than reverse commuters. I would assume most cities have reverse commuters to the suburbs.

The way you worded it seemed like you didn't know. Just informing you. Philadelphia still has the overwhelming amount of employees.

Philadelphia Employment- 570,612

Montgomery County Employment- 400,239

Chester County Employment- 224,631

Camden County Employment- 167,916

Percentage of Downtown Office Space in Metro:

1. San Francisco- 71.29%
2. New York- 69.56%
3. Chicago- 55.45%
4. Seattle- 40.67%
5. Boston- 36.08%
6. Washington D.C.- 31.51%
7. Philadelphia- 27.57%
8. Atlanta- 23.19%
9. Houston- 19.35%
10. Baltimore- 17.76%
11. Denver- 16.65%
12. Los Angeles- 14.57%

There aren't many cities with higher concentrations of employment Downtown than Philadelphia
http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/...employment.pdf
LOL are you a robot, who just posts big lists of random statistics in response to posts, just based on keywords??

If you were reading the thread, you would see that my post was in response to someone who didn't previously understand how the wage tax worked, and didn't see how there could be any tax advantages to anyone living in the suburbs. There obviously are, and I pointed out the most glaring, and very common, scenario as one example.

You then calling me "incorrect", and then posting a big list random statistics to show... something unrelated... is a total non-sequitur in the context of the thread.

If you are travel in professional circles in Philadelphia, and you aren't acutely aware of how many of the region's prime jobs are located in the suburbs, and how many people commute out to work at them, then I don't know what to tell you.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
LOL are you a robot, who just posts big lists of random statistics in response to posts, just based on keywords??

If you were reading the thread, you would see that my post was in response to someone who didn't previously understand how the wage tax worked, and didn't see how there could be any tax advantages to anyone living in the suburbs. There obviously are, and I pointed out the most glaring, and very common, scenario as one example.

You then calling me "incorrect", and then posting a big list random statistics to show... something unrelated... is a total non-sequitur in the context of the thread.

If you are travel in professional circles in Philadelphia, and you aren't acutely aware of how many of the region's prime jobs are located in the suburbs, and how many people commute out to work at them, then I don't know what to tell you.
What are you on about man? Lol. Why are you getting all defensive? Someone asked you about the wage tax so you state something about jobs not locating in the city? I posted proof that what you said is not entirely correct. Philadelphia still has the most jobs put of any county. More people commute to the city than reverse commute and Philadelphia fairs well compared to practically every US as far as retaining jobs within the central city. So yes, what you said was incorrect to an extent. I was just letting you know. Idk why people get so salty when they're corrected. You want to continue spouting off incorrect information? Also, my friends who live in the city, work in the city. I know one person who I met through this forum who reverse commutes. The others all work in the city

Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Please specifically show me the incorrect information that I posted (NOT your rewording/interpretation of what you think I posted). Thank you kind sir.

I think you may have mistaken this for a city-vs-city forum thread, which it is not.

Last edited by rotodome; 05-22-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia