Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:22 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I think it's pretty shocking that Philadelphia's percentage share is only 4% higher than Atlanta, which is a metro that is practically the epitome of of the modern sprawling metropolitan area. There is absolutely no reason we should not be in the Boston to Chicago range - particularly considering our transit infrastructure capable of bringing people from the suburbs into the city.

I work in Center City, live in NW Philly, and it's pretty great. I wouldn't change it for the world, except that I'm at best overqualified for what I do, and at worst wasting my years I should really be building my resume doing something dead end that I'm overqualified for. There are a disproportionate amount of job listing in the suburbs - and with the exception of a few transit oriented towns like Conshohocken, many are a nightmare to get to using public transportation, often involving these shuttle buses that pick you up at the train station and drive around to all the pointless office parks (Although SEPTA does a pretty good job at making major city stations like Wayne Junction important reverse-commuting nodes). The reverse commute has become a pretty normal thing for Philadelphia, and for other cities as well. It's possibly a larger problem in Philadelphia only because Philadelphia can be a pretty great city to live in, and people are willing to do the reverse commute for the kind of lifestyle the city offers.

Anyone who lives in the city and works in the city is likely to have a majority of friends who do the same. If you lived in Conshohocken, King of Prussia, or Cherry Hill you might have a different experience. I've met people who have done the reverse commute - and when eavesdropping on lunchtime conversations it's a topic that comes up, although that's all just as anecdotal as your story of your friends.

I'm all for defending Philadelphia - it seems like I'm constantly doing it. I'm three years into living here now - who knows how much longer I'll be here - and I'll go on telling everyone how great it is. Just being a booster and ignoring problems isn't going to make anything better though. Sure, it could be worse. But it's something that is potentially holding the city back. And even Center City's most important booster has been banging drums about it.
Agreed 100% on all your statements. I like looking at the positive side. Of course you can't ignore the negatives that need to be addressed, but too many people on this forum look at only the negative and refuse to address the positives. Sorry for shedding some positive light on an extremely negative forum

The city needs to do a better job of attracting jobs into the core city ABSOLUTELY. The business privilege taxes, wage taxes, and other PA business taxes need to be reduced and get some serious business growth not only in the city, but in the state. Crime needs to be reduced even more, ABSOLUTELY. Crime is dropping significantly though. I don't think that is something to ignore. We need better schools ABSOLUTELY, however, bad schools in the core city is not something unique to Philadelphia... practically all urban schools are bad throughout the US. This is a country wide problem, not just a Philly problem. The city needs to do something to fix the schools regardless though. Lastly, the blight. It is being address (large areas are being gentrified, so much construction it is hard to keep track of), but there is still more to be addressed, and it will, with time.

People focus WAYYYY to much on the negatives, and then they wonder why they have miserable lives. I like looking at all the positive changes happening in the city. Things are looking extremely bright for Philadelphia.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 05-23-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I can agree with that...I'm currently in northeast and it seems most of the jobs advertised are where I'm not and difficult to get to. It almost seems like the King of Prussia area is like it's own Philly...lots more jobs out that way. Either there or north of Trenton in NJ...
That's why I posted the links before. Center City has the highest concentration of jobs. And although KOP and Montgomery County does in fact have a crap ton of jobs, Philadelphia still has more.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
We have the best of both worlds. We can have all the advantages of the city that you speak of but don't have to pay its crazy wage tax and can escape the high crime.. Win
There are plenty of neighborhoods you can live in in the city to escape the high crime. Stop being ridiculous. The wage tax is not as crazy as you make it sound Frank. Do you know your precious Cherry HIll or Moorestown or wherever you live has a wage tax? 2% in fact. It is called an income tax.

Also, what advantages do you have? None. You have to drive 20 minutes into the city. I can walk to everything. You have to drive everywhere. To shop, to eat, and you can't drink much because you have to drive home. That type of life is HELL to me. MISERABLE. I hate being a slave to a car. On top of that, you have lame chain restaurants. I can walk to shopping, walk to nightlife, walk to museums, walk to theaters, walk to restaurants, walk to parks, take public transit to the stadiums to see a sporting event, take public transit to anywhere in the city, even take public transit to NYC or DC. You have to drive just to get anywhere.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
How does living in the suburbs equate to spending more on gas and car expenses?
This isn't a serious question is it? You seriously can't use your brain to come to this conclusion? IN the city I can walk or use public transit to get everywhere. Work, shops, bars, restaurants, museums, theaters, sporting events, other cities. You have to drive to get ANYWHERE. Drive to work and back. Drive to the store and back. Drive to the mall and back. Drive to go out to eat and back. Drive to the train to get to other cities and back OR just drive to the other cities and back. Drive to parks and back. Drive to museums and back. Drive to sporting events and back. Drive to theaters and back. How are you NOT using more gas? You probably fill your gas tank up if not once, then twice a week. I barely even have to fill my gas tank up once. I haven't driven my car in the past week. The last time I did was to go home for mothers day. You use infinite more gas then I do, which adds up substantially, not to mention all the wear and tear on your car from adding more and more mileage which adds up to pricey car repair expenses.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Yeah,because who actually NEEDS to live right next to bars & restaurants 24/7?...
Don't need to, but want. I'm 23. Just graduated college. Live and work in the city. Majority of my friends live and work in the city. The ones who don't come down every weekend. Nightlife among every other amenity in the city is superb. Suburbs can not compete.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
exactly. Live where its safe and quiet but GO to the nightlife. Thats how its done We experienced both. Choose the burbs to live.
Yeah, you have to DRIVE to nightlife then DRIVE home. Not to mention the majority of suburban nightlife is TERRIBLY lame. I can walk or take public transit or taxis to bars, drink as much as I want, and not have to worry about driving home. Imagine that

Old 05-23-2013, 03:01 PM
LHM

204 posts, read 412,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
This isn't a serious question is it? You seriously can't use your brain to come to this conclusion? IN the city I can walk or use public transit to get everywhere. Work, shops, bars, restaurants, museums, theaters, sporting events, other cities. You have to drive to get ANYWHERE. Drive to work and back. Drive to the store and back. Drive to the mall and back. Drive to go out to eat and back. Drive to the train to get to other cities and back OR just drive to the other cities and back. Drive to parks and back. Drive to museums and back. Drive to sporting events and back. Drive to theaters and back. How are you NOT using more gas? You probably fill your gas tank up if not once, then twice a week. I barely even have to fill my gas tank up once. I haven't driven my car in the past week. The last time I did was to go home for mothers day. You use infinite more gas then I do, which adds up substantially, not to mention all the wear and tear on your car from adding more and more mileage which adds up to pricey car repair expenses.
You're making wild assumptions that anyone who lives in the suburbs drives more than anyone who lives in the city. Maybe you could 'use your brain' and not make ignorant generalizations. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
You're making wild assumptions that anyone who lives in the suburbs drives more than anyone who lives in the city. Maybe you could 'use your brain' and not make ignorant generalizations. Good luck.
Aside from some small walkable downtown areas (Conshy, Media, West Chester, Collingswood, Newtown, etc.) everyone in the suburbs is required to drive to get anywhere. Are you saying people in the city with the high walk-ability, close proximity of amenities, superb transit options and taxis drive more than the majority of suburbanites? You have got to be out of your mind.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:13 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
We can debate pros and cons without questioning one another's sanity or intelligence. Thank you.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM

445 posts, read 413,577 times
Quote:
I live in the city and never drive. I can walk 20+ blocks in any direction and have tons of things to do.

It would be near impossible to live in the suburbs without a car. You could try, but it would get awfully boring after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia