Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,857 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am moving this Fall '12 to attend UPenn Dental School (40th Street/Locust). My second semester, I will need to go to HUP at least twice a week also. We live in DFW area now and I plan to come with my 3 turning 4 year old daughter while my husband stays in Dallas to work. I would like to live close to school, but we are looking to purchase a house (350-450K). My husband will fly home on the weekends. We want to have a detached, single family home with a decent yard. I am not sure I can find this close to UPenn and have started looking into both PA (lower merion) and NJ burbs (haddonfield). I definitely want a good school for my daughter but since she will start Pre-K, I will do private school for the first year and possibly Kindergarten also since it looks like public school only offers 3 hours a day (AM or PM). I am concerned about the commute and picking my daughter up in emergencies and unsure about commuting during winter snowstorms, etc. My classes will mostly be 8AM-5PM with some days more or less. If anyone can give me insight, it would be much appreciated!

When are you moving? July-Aug '12
Where are you coming from? Dallas, TX
Why are you moving? UPenn Dental School
Where will you be working? 40th /Locust St
Have you been here yet? Visited last weekend to look at areas of Philly

Will you buy or rent? Would like to buy, but might rent first
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? House
How much can you spend? 350-450K
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 3year old
Do you prefer public or private schools? Private, but might have to do public later
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Want Yard
Are you keeping a car? Probably
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Activity

What do you want to be closest to? School
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Similar - I am Chinese and my husband is Caucasian, late 30s

Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Lower Merion/Haddonfield are good if you don't mind something on the older and smaller side. You might want to look into the Swarthmore area--much better bang for your buck. One of my Penn grad school classmates commutes from there and his family loves it. Look to the Media area as well. A bit further out, but definitely worth considering.

On the NJ side of the river, you'd be able to find something decent in Cherry Hill or Voorhees. Keep in mind though those communities are by and large soulless and sprawling.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
swarthmore isnt really bang for you buck. I would look at the swarthmore/media area.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
swarthmore isnt really bang for you buck. I would look at the swarthmore/media area.
Swarthmore area homes are relatively affordable from what I've seen.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:20 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,207 times
Just for ease of commute I would suggest looking along the Route 100 rail line which more or less parallels the Main Line/Lancaster Ave. Ardmore might be the place to look - it has a happening downtown and you could easily get by with one car.

But really, while you're renting and before your kid is old enough for school I would look a few blocks west of campus. The yards in West Philly are plenty big for a 3 year old and since there's so much more for them to do in the city they don't have time to get bored with it.

Regardless of where you live, unless you're in the city, you're going to have to change trains to get there or have to take a 10 block walk up the hill from University City Station. I would recommend South Jersey towns to people working in Center City (south of Market St) but in this case you're better off going west. If you're commute is on SEPTA you buy one pass that covers all trains and buses. It gets more expensive if you have to pay for PATCO then buy SEPTA transfers every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia