U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 AM

55 posts, read 152,792 times

Advertisements

The SPCA has not been much help with my complaint. Please advise:

There is an elderly man who lives alone and he got a dog about a year ago. We were temporarily displaced out of our home for about 6 months (due to a fire) and since we have been back it has been miserable because of his dog. I have complained to the SPCA about the dog barking all night long but nothing has changed since the fall. You can hear his dog park in every room in my home. My children are tired and can't sleep so they don't focus well in school. I am exhausted and frustrated from lack of sleep and irritation of a barking dog everytime I come home. The SPCA tells me there isn't much they can do but come out and check on the dog and see if it is being neglected, talk to the owner, and possibly give a citation.

Clearly, they don't understand how this is effecting our everyday life. We have contacted the SPCA at least 4-5 times. I called again last night and the lady says she only has 1 complaint on file. So now I'm not even sure if they follow up on my complaints that I have made. I have tried to talk to the gentleman myself but he never answers the door. Sure, I understand maybe he doesn't hear the dog as much as I do but I can't even enjoy my home at this point.

What can I do? The SPCA is not going to help. They brush it off everytime and tell me there are 1000's of complaints and mine is one of them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 09:22 AM

5,583 posts, read 10,090,396 times
The first thing you can do is stop bugging the SPCA. They can't help you with this matter as they have already informed you. Check your local community's noise ordinance and see if the neighbor is out of compliance. If so, check with your township or local law enforcement to see what to do to file a complaint. Don't call 911, as this is not an emergency.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 AM

55 posts, read 152,792 times
Who told you it's not the SPCA who takes care of this? And who said the SPCA doesn't take care of this issue? I surely didn't. I stated they were busy with 1000's of complaints.

If you call 267-385-3800 the recording will tell you to call 866-601-SPCA for barking dog complaints. I have spoken to them along with ACCT (Animal Care and Control Team) and made a report at both places. I looked up the noise ordinance awhile ago and barking dogs (who bark for more than 5 minutes at a time) fall under that but the police still won't talk to my neighbor, they direct it to ACCT or SPCA.

If you had a child who couldn't sleep and still has to go to school the next day maybe you would be more understanding.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:59 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,250,737 times
Have you tried *gasp* talking to your neighbor?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,389,057 times
done!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 PM

1,752 posts, read 2,687,953 times
Well, as I see it, and as "the books" probably list it, the police have NO RIGHT to throw it back on the SPCA or other animal agencies as their job is to monitor the care of the animal and not yours or your family. Not being unsympathetic...it's just that your police are being highly irresponsible if that ordinance is written in your township code. Perhaps you can get together with other neighbors and if ALL of you complain at once they would have to do something. Please understand that the dog is obviously miserable outside at night.

Now here's what I would do (but I'm over-the-top- gutsy). First ask police to count the number of complaints that you have made on this issue. Then i would take the dog in overnight to sleep on a blanket or something - watch how fast he stops barking, poor bunny. If your neighbor wonders where he is, just tell him that they're not allowed to be out at night and that the SPCA will pick it up if it continues (you were merely saving the dog). Your neighbor, a truly stupid and insensitive person who shouldn't have an animal, will never know the difference. Don't forget a water dish by the blanket.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:13 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,935,609 times
This should be a police issue, as they are responsible for enforcing the laws of the municipality, not the SPCA. Maybe you live in the city of philadelphia, which would explain the poor response you are receiving from the police. I'd go to the local police station and complain in person, repeatedly if necessary until they do something about it.

Maybe there is also some sort of civil action you could take against the neighbor. I'd speak with a lawyer. What I would not do is just "live with it". You have every right not to be disturbed by constant barking from your neighbor's dog.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 AM

76 posts, read 197,937 times
Any chance this elderly man removes his hearing aid at night and does not know that his dog is barking? I agree with the earlier post; you have to talk to the guy. If he gets nasty about it, then you should pursue other options. Call your city councilperson's office; this is more up their alley. Meanwhile, gets your kids some of those soft foam earplugs they sell for hunters.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:26 PM

1,188 posts, read 754,220 times
Get a powerful ultrasonic animal repeller. It's nasty but he will come crawling on his knees begging you to turn it off because it will terrorize the hell out of his dogs. This is the best way to deal with neighbors with annoying pets. Give them back a double dose of terror {insert evil laughter here}.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or