Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:02 PM

6 posts, read 8,297 times

Advertisements

We are married couple with no kid & both working in CC.

Here is a list of our requirements.

1. We want to be within 30 minutes commute from CC. Driving or public transportation do not matter.

2. We want to buy newer houses/condos that are <15 years old.

3. Safe, quiet neighborhood.

Budget is 500K.

Any suggestions?

I have been told Roxborough is a nice neiborhood that would meet all of our needs, but we want to have more options to compare.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,554,190 times
If you want to be adjacent to Center City you could look around Fairmount, Spring Garden, Northern Liberties, Queen Village, Bella Vista, or Graduate Hospital. Personally I recommend Queen Village/Bella Vista and Fairmount. I've always felt a little more comfortable there as far as amenities and safety go. You'd be a short walk from Center City. If you moved further out you could consider Manayunk/Roxborough, Mt Airy, or Chestnut Hill. All are a short ride from Center City via regional rail. Additionally all the neighborhoods I listed have seen a ton of new development, with maybe the exceptions being Mt Airy and Chestnut Hill, so you shouldn't have trouble finding new construction with your budget. You could also maybe consider Torresdale in the Northeast. There's a good amount of newer construction going on there as well, it's near regional rail and I-95 and is less than 10 or 20 minutes from Center City.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:29 AM

Thanks Marius Pontmercy!

I did some research and still find Roxborough being my top choice. With that said, can someone please comment the commute from Roxborough to CC (I read an older post saying it was a pain.).

It seems I could either take route 9 on ridge ave or walk to the NOR train stations. Google map is suggesting about the same length of commuting either way. But I'm not sure if the BUS router reflects the morning traffic accurately. Say if I arrive at the bus stop around 8AM how long would it take to get to the city?

What if I decide to drive? Is it better to take 76 or local? How long will it take if I leave at 8:00?

Thanks again!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:54 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,664,054 times
The bus from Roxborough would definitely be longer than the train, depending on how far from the train station you would be. Walking to the train (actually, walking home from the train) can be a pain because of the hills, so a lot of people drive to the Ivy Ridge station where there is more parking than the Manayunk station, and it's about 25 minutes to CC from there. There are several bus options along Ridge and Henry, like the 9, 27 and 32. You can check the Septa site for times. They'll take longer than the train but you would have more options as they run more frequently. If you live further out in Roxborough, say past Domino Lane, the train definitely makes more sense. As far as driving, at the times you mention, I would take the local streets rather than 76. Time will vary depending on where in Roxborough you are.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:34 PM

41,733 posts, read 74,684,043 times
Newer housing in Roxborough isn't easy to come by, but there are some new homes wedged in here and there. It certainly is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city.

You really can't beat the train for commuting -- it's fast and reasonably comfortable and you're spared the frustrations of sitting in traffic (which is annoying if you're on the bus or in your car). If you're driving, I'd suggest you leave a little earlier than 8; traffic starts to gnarl up around 7:15 and that lasts until around 8:45.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM

Thanks. So how long will it take me to drive to CC if I leave at 7:00 AM? What about 8:00?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,464,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
If you want to be adjacent to Center City you could look around Fairmount, Spring Garden, Northern Liberties, Queen Village, Bella Vista, or Graduate Hospital. Personally I recommend Queen Village/Bella Vista and Fairmount. I've always felt a little more comfortable there as far as amenities and safety go. You'd be a short walk from Center City. If you moved further out you could consider Manayunk/Roxborough, Mt Airy, or Chestnut Hill. All are a short ride from Center City via regional rail. Additionally all the neighborhoods I listed have seen a ton of new development, with maybe the exceptions being Mt Airy and Chestnut Hill, so you shouldn't have trouble finding new construction with your budget. You could also maybe consider Torresdale in the Northeast. There's a good amount of newer construction going on there as well, it's near regional rail and I-95 and is less than 10 or 20 minutes from Center City.
in manhattan - its one neighborhood. just givin you a perspective

all that < SoHo

Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,840,813 times
Cherry Hill, NJ, the east end will have newer houses.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 AM

41,733 posts, read 74,684,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastscer View Post
Thanks. So how long will it take me to drive to CC if I leave at 7:00 AM? What about 8:00?
At 7, about 20-25 minutes; add 10-15 minutes if you leave at 8. It's a brutal world out there.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,851,968 times
East Falls, which is adjacent to Roxborough, has a few new housing developments (although I believe one of them is low or mixed income fwiw) and would be a very nice commute to Center City down East or West River Drive or a nice train ride from the East Falls or Queen Lane Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia