Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Philly is just different from the rest of PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Please tell me somebody else gets this or something similar? Or do I just run into a lot of uneducated people?
It wasn't anything I'd thought about, living in the Philly area my whole life, both on the right and wrong side of the Delaware. However, my girlfriend is a New Yorker, and she very distinctly refers to "Philly" and "PA" as different entities. She used to refer to her uncle as "from PA" when he lived in Allentown, now he lives in Philly and he's her uncle "from Philly". I do wonder how many New Yorkers consider Philly to be one big exurb of New York.

It's funny, she says I'm from "The mountains". I live near Reading. I'd ask her "What mountains?", but when I was a kid in Jersey and we used to vacation to this area, we'd always call it "the mountains" as well. Of course, I do still take offense and defend the fact that I'm from one of the largest urbanized areas in the country, I just LIVE "in the mountains".

Large cities with large metros really are their own thing. Sometimes I question if the old method of having States, counties then local municipalities is antiquated. Perhaps states that encompass large metros should be separate from the part of the states that do not. Is there any reason why South Jersey should be politically different from SEPA? Or North Jersey politically different from NYC/Long Island?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
While we're talking about splitting states, here's a map I made a while back, basically with a Philly state and a NNJ/NYC/LI state:

I don't actually agree with it though... doesn't really make sense to split Jersey in half. It would honestly make more sense (and be much cooler) if instead we had one super-state with Philly in the south and Manhattan in the north.
LOL, I've said this before too. If the Philadelphia area and New York City area joined forces in New Jersey, it would instantly become the greatest state in the country.

Hell, we should just become our own country if we were to ever do that. Peace and good luck, Harrisburg!

Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
LOL, I've said this before too. If the Philadelphia area and New York City area joined forces in New Jersey, it would instantly become the greatest state in the country.

Hell, we should just become our own country if we were to ever do that. Peace and good luck, Harrisburg!
Hah I've said this a few times myself. The state of "New Philayorkia" It's New York in the East, Philadelphia in the west, and New York and Philadelphia in between. The only down side is a permanent association with The Jersey Shore (the TV show, not the place).

Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Hah I've said this a few times myself. The state of "New Philayorkia" It's New York in the East, Philadelphia in the west, and New York and Philadelphia in between. The only down side is a permanent association with The Jersey Shore (the TV show, not the place).
Haha, well hopefully there is still a divide between New York's North Jersey and Seaside Heights, etc, and Philadelphia's South Jersey and Cape May, Stone Harbor, etc.

New York owes the state of New Jersey BIG TIME for "Jersey Shore". The entire cast is from New York.
It should've been called "New Yorkers invade Jersey Shore".

Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
someone make this happen

Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
It wasn't anything I'd thought about, living in the Philly area my whole life, both on the right and wrong side of the Delaware. However, my girlfriend is a New Yorker, and she very distinctly refers to "Philly" and "PA" as different entities. She used to refer to her uncle as "from PA" when he lived in Allentown, now he lives in Philly and he's her uncle "from Philly". I do wonder how many New Yorkers consider Philly to be one big exurb of New York.

It's funny, she says I'm from "The mountains". I live near Reading. I'd ask her "What mountains?", but when I was a kid in Jersey and we used to vacation to this area, we'd always call it "the mountains" as well. Of course, I do still take offense and defend the fact that I'm from one of the largest urbanized areas in the country, I just LIVE "in the mountains".

Large cities with large metros really are their own thing. Sometimes I question if the old method of having States, counties then local municipalities is antiquated. Perhaps states that encompass large metros should be separate from the part of the states that do not. Is there any reason why South Jersey should be politically different from SEPA? Or North Jersey politically different from NYC/Long Island?
if I knew someone from coldwater, MI they'd be from MI but if they were from detroit, they'd be from detroit. it's not unique. if someone is from blairsville, pa they're from PA but if they're from pittsburgh, you mention pittsburgh. what you are essentially arguing for is, in fact, an old method of organizing, it's city states, and they're not without merit.I don't know how much it would really matter, it doesn't bother me that I share a state with Pittsburgh or lancaster or even scranton and their old forge pizza. being a city state with a bunch of ugly land plus the shore wouldn't do us any good, it's not like we'd become magically important to DC.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
if I knew someone from coldwater, MI they'd be from MI but if they were from detroit, they'd be from detroit. it's not unique. if someone is from blairsville, pa they're from PA but if they're from pittsburgh, you mention pittsburgh. what you are essentially arguing for is, in fact, an old method of organizing, it's city states, and they're not without merit.I don't know how much it would really matter, it doesn't bother me that I share a state with Pittsburgh or lancaster or even scranton and their old forge pizza. being a city state with a bunch of ugly land plus the shore wouldn't do us any good, it's not like we'd become magically important to DC.
Funny thing about the first part of your comment, most New Yorkers seem to not think they are from New York State.

Regarding your city-state comment.... Like john_starks said, make it happen. Yesterday.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Funny thing about the first part of your comment, most New Yorkers seem to not think they are from New York State.

Regarding your city-state comment.... Like john_starks said, make it happen. Yesterday.
There are three levels of cities in the People's Republic of China. The highest order cities are like states
Municipality of Beijing 19,612,368
Municipality of Tianjin 12,938,224
Municipality of Shanghai 23,019,148
Municipality of Chongqing 28,846,170

Most of major cities in Europe are on the national level. Of course, in most countries the largest city is also the national capital. In the USA the District of Columbia is the nexus of a large metropolitan region, but by itself it is a relatively small municipality.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 AM

4,508 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
While we're talking about splitting states, here's a map I made a while back, basically with a Philly state and a NNJ/NYC/LI state:

I don't actually agree with it though... doesn't really make sense to split Jersey in half. It would honestly make more sense (and be much cooler) if instead we had one super-state with Philly in the south and Manhattan in the north.
This I agree with this... New Jersey, PA, and New York are living off these two cities and it's pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia