Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,587 times

Advertisements

Hi- My name is Lacey and I'm a flight attendant. 20 years old and just started out. I am looking for a safe place to stay in the Philadelphia area, preferably 30 minutes or closer from the airport. I do not want to sign any leases, because I am going to try and move back to my current location in a few months. Just looking for a bedroom to rent out, but have no idea what locations would be best/safest for me near the airport.
A couple more things that could help:
I have my own car, no pets, and single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,587 times
Smile Where to live in Philly?!?

Hi- My name is Lacey and I'm a flight attendant. 20 years old and just started out. I am looking for a safe place to stay in the Philadelphia area, preferably 30 minutes or closer from the airport. I do not want to sign any leases, because I am going to try and move back to my current location in a few months. Just looking for a bedroom to rent out, but have no idea what locations would be best/safest for me near the airport.
A couple more things that could help:
I have my own car, no pets, and single.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 PM

9 posts, read 16,429 times
For your situation (having a car, wanting to be near the airport), you might want to look just outside the city, preferably in Delaware County. I think areas such as Springfield or Ridley Park might suit what you're looking for. I don't know Delaware County that well, but I think those areas are reasonably safe. If not, I'm sure someone will correct me.

For car travel, be advised that those areas, while close to the airport, use 476 (the Blue Route) and/or 95 to get to the airport. For commuting purposes, plan as if you'll be in a traffic jam, just in case.

If you haven't already, check out padmapper.com. You can customize your search to only seek out rooms to rent, which I would think help you get around having to deal with a lease. I just did a check and found a decent-looking place in Ridley Park for $500 a month.

If you want to actually be in the city, SEPTA (our regional public transportation system has a line that runs directly from the airport to 30th Street Station, where you could transfer to a train that will take you pretty much anywhere in the city.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 AM

691 posts, read 3,053,294 times
It depends what you're looking for in a place to live - suburban or city?

If you're looking to live in the city - I recommend South Philly as you should easily be able to rent a room out and live amongst other young professionals and it is a quick ride to the airport. Most areas are pretty safe with the exceptions of Point Breeze, Grays Ferry, and the 5th-7th street corridor. Parking can be a challenge in some areas but is doable.

If you want suburban, then Delaware County will be your best bet as LJH76 mentioned.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,096,513 times
Beyond looking at the usual online classified sources - e.g. that list that Craig has - you will have trouble finding a private owner willing to rent a room out for a short-term lease. Your best shot may be University City where Penn and Drexel students look for people to take over the last few months of their year-long lease over the summer. Look for the off-campus housing section of those schools' respective websites. You'll find UC to be a pretty lively area although you will be carded heavily at establishments that offer alcohol.

Short of that, consider the extended stay hotels right near the airport. Not so lively but convenient to your employer. There is a Regional Rail train that runs from the Airport to Center City to help keep you occupied during your downtime.

Note that two similar threads have been merged into one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia