U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 AM

220 posts, read 109,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
At nearly 50 stories, I'm hoping it's at-least 700 feet. Or as tall as the FMC Tower. It looks pretty nice from the renderings so I'm hoping they stick to the plan, and not do the ol switcheroo for another stuccoed shoebox.
It's 528 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 07:06 AM

5,684 posts, read 5,063,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I personally would like the tallest building to be on the CC side of the river but aside from my opinion, I think the more skyscrapers the better no matter where they are built.

I checked the US cities with the most skyscrapers on wiki.

1 New York City 544
2 Chicago 218
3 Miami 87
4 San Francisco 55
5 Houston 53
6 Los Angeles 45
7= Seattle 41
7= Las Vegas 41
9 Atlanta 40
10 Boston 33
11 Philadelphia 32

Sad.

Sad? Have you spent considerable time in Houston, or Vegas? Talk about sad cities.

I love skyscrapers, but Philadelphia is already a top American city, and there are so many other investments I would rather see than skyscrapers.... like landscaped medians on Broad and Market Street. That to me is what makes an amazing city.

However, I am still very happy to see Dranoffs tower on S. Broad finally starting and the Laurel in Rittenhouse. Those are 2 amazing additions to the skyline (and both over 500').

Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 AM

493 posts, read 238,543 times
The skyline is progressing fairly rapidly if you ask me. Infill will happen first and that's what we're seeing. But to compare our skyline to NY or Chicago is an unfair comparison. NY is literally 7 times larger than Philly.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:58 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,435,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The original tower wasn't "scrapped," it was revised and reworked.

You can see the family resemblance in my report on the project:

Carl Dranoff Breaks Ground at Broad and Spruce At Last | Real Estate & Home | Philadelphia Magazine

They're both nice. I like the latest version if they stick to the glass & steel tendered version they're showing. 523 feet is nice, but I was hoping it would at-least be taller or the same height as the FMC Tower.

Any word on the development of the Delaware River waterfront?

Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM

5,684 posts, read 5,063,908 times
And is there an update on the towers along the Sckuylkill at Arch Street? Construction has been quite slow.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:27 AM

493 posts, read 238,543 times
There's quite a bit of planning on the Delaware, but nothing much set.

The I-95 cap is happening but not until next year (small prep work has happened but the plans have yet to be finalized).

The two piers North of Race street pier have been bought and while they closed down the Marina, Morgans Pier continues to operate. The plan is (from an insider at the Marina) that the NY development group that bought the piers will be developing towers over those piers. The same company bought land across Delaware ave and are building mixed use properties north and south of Callowhill.

here's also a pie-in-the-sky development proposed just south of Washington Ave (Liberty on the Water?) that's supposed to have 3 towers and a mess of retail but that's a major long-shot.

There was a plan to develop the huge festival pier as well but that has been radio-silent for years.

Like I said, nothing really concrete.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 AM

8,131 posts, read 11,034,965 times
Why SHOULD it? Tall buildings are not everyone's idea of beauty.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 PM

91 posts, read 54,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Sad? Have you spent considerable time in Houston, or Vegas? Talk about sad cities.

I love skyscrapers, but Philadelphia is already a top American city, and there are so many other investments I would rather see than skyscrapers.... like landscaped medians on Broad and Market Street. That to me is what makes an amazing city.

However, I am still very happy to see Dranoffs tower on S. Broad finally starting and the Laurel in Rittenhouse. Those are 2 amazing additions to the skyline (and both over 500').
You read my mind, itís so minor but a landscaped median on Broad is pretty much my number one priority.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:55 AM

362 posts, read 94,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
The skyline is progressing fairly rapidly if you ask me. Infill will happen first and that's what we're seeing. But to compare our skyline to NY or Chicago is an unfair comparison. NY is literally 7 times larger than Philly.
5.2 times larger, but you're right. I think Philly is definitely making some sort of progress when it comes to skyscrapers. There's A LOT of proposed skyscrapers. I just hope they get built.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:47 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,353,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And is there an update on the towers along the Sckuylkill at Arch Street? Construction has been quite slow.
Well, the support columns now rise above the Regional Rail tracks at that point, so it's at least progressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia