U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,538,192 times

Advertisements

No. Philly will continue to grow but won't ever catch up to Chi or NYC unless something happens to cause one of those cities to stall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:41 PM

725 posts, read 998,886 times
Sorry to revive the thread. BUT! I wanna keep this convo going. What can Philly do to catch Chi in 20 years?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM

735 posts, read 947,927 times
I really don't know why anybody would want that. Chicago and NYC both have quite a few ugly or oversized buildings and really have no design to their skyline. I'd much rather just build up the actual design to its skyline Philadelphia has, and any "skyscraper forests" be smaller than the more important buildings in the skyline.

NYC and Chicago look great INSIDE those cities, and in NYC's case it also looks great at night. Outside of those cities during the day though (the vantage point people view a skyline from), neither city looks all that great when it comes to their skylines.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,018,688 times
I don't think Philly's skyline even matches Pittsburgh. I doubt it will ever match Chicago or NY, unless land use rules change dramatically and restrict growth elsewhere.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I don't think Philly's skyline even matches Pittsburgh. I doubt it will ever match Chicago or NY, unless land use rules change dramatically and restrict growth elsewhere.
Philadelphia has quite a few more skyscrapers than Pittsburgh. I've noticed that people seem to think the skyline is much smaller than it actually is because so much of the city is 100' tall or more, along with the fact that there's few skyscrapers between 500-900 ft and the ones that are around that height aren't very visible from Camden (the most used skyline vantage point).

Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,250,296 times
I'm not sure how old these numbers are, but we are 5th in high rises, behind New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco. We are 12th on buildings higher than 500 feet and 9th on buildings above 295.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,289,398 times
I don't think Philly's skyline will ever come close those of NY or Chicago, but we have a fine skyline to be sure and it is probably 5th, 6th, or 7th in the country. Skyline fanatics on sites like www.skyscraperpage.com and www.skyscrapercity.com give Philly very high marks.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,594,387 times
I don't know what forces make / made chicago so big but I know what people think philly is and what philly really is still far off. When those two meet philly could see a significant boom. Also I think once philly reaches a certain size (which maybe say twice the population) it's going to be known as a NYC alternative and is going to start taking in some of their fanatics.

Also some things which could change things quick are improvements in the tax system and some more jobs in the city.

Last edited by MikeNigh; 02-11-2013 at 09:38 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I don't think Philly's skyline will ever come close those of NY or Chicago, but we have a fine skyline to be sure and it is probably 5th, 6th, or 7th in the country. Skyline fanatics on sites like www.skyscraperpage.com and www.skyscrapercity.com give Philly very high marks.
I'd say that at the very lowest, Philadelphia is 5th. Outside of New York and Chicago, who has a better skyline than Philadelphia? Maybe Miami but that's really it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I don't know what forces make / made chicago so big but I know what people think philly is and what philly really is still far off. When those two meet philly could see a significant boom. Also I think once philly reaches a certain size (which maybe say twice the population) it's going to be known as a NYC alternative and is going to start taking in some of their fanatics.

Also some things which could change things quick are improvements in the tax system and some more jobs in the city.
What do you mean by "What people think Philly is and what Philly really is are still far off"? What people exactly? From what I've seen, it's the other way around. What people think Philadelphia is when they try to discount or under-rate the city and what Philadelphia really is are very far off.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,252,840 times
Off-topic but I would love to see a futuristic JC-Lower Manhattan-Brooklyn beast of a triple-skyline from say the Statue of Liberty. That would be an awesome sight to behold.

As for Philly, just slowly build upward and in a slowly increasing radius from the current skyscrapers. No need for super-talls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia