Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times

Advertisements

Yes it will... By 2075.. I guarantee you. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBE View Post
Will Philly's skyline ever catch up to Chicago or NYC?
No and hell no.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No and hell no.
We're coming for you Chicago

Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
No it won't. But skylines are the most overrated thing discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Philly was more unique pre-mid-eighties when it was a big American city WITHOUT a generic skyline. That cluster of mostly ugly skyscrapers, mostly created during a truly unfortunate period of American architecture, is the least interesting and distinctive thing about Philadelphia to me.
Paris, Rome & Kyoto are without question three of the world's most beautiful and memorable cities. Anyone care about their skylines?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:16 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
What?? Lol... Philadelphia already has a much much larger skyline than Jersey City... I'm confused as to what you are trying to get at... are you saying Camden may be the same size as Jersey City and Philadelphia will be equal to Lower Manhattan? Saying Jersey City is anywhere close to Center City is a joke. You are saying Jersey City has a larger skyline than Philadelphia though?? Haha are you out of your mind?

Jersey City- 127 highrises
- 37 skyscrapers

Philadelphia- 363 highrises
- 76 skyscrapers
Oh yea....by 2020 it will look like this...

Jersey City - 167 High rises
- 50 Skyscrapers
- 8 Supertalls....

Philly.... - 405 high rises
- 83 Skyscrapers
- 3 Supertalls

Our Skyline is like Chicago where it froms a mountain in the middle of flatness , your skyline is small and clustered....

Jersey Skyline by R. Flynn, on Flickr

Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Oh yea....by 2020 it will look like this...

Jersey City - 167 High rises
- 50 Skyscrapers
- 8 Supertalls....

Philly.... - 405 high rises
- 83 Skyscrapers
- 3 Supertalls

Our Skyline is like Chicago where it froms a mountain in the middle of flatness , your skyline is small and clustered....

Jersey Skyline by R. Flynn, on Flickr
Small and clustered?? Haha... IDK how you possibly think Jersey City's skyline is anywhere close to the size of Philly but that's pretty funny. Jersey City will never be close to the size of Philly especially if developers keep proposing those fantasy towers.

1706 Rittenhouse Square Street - YouTube

Sorry but Philly looks big from every angle. It clobbers Jersey City which looks good from Lower Manhattan but thats about it. I've been to Jersey City. The highrises/skyscrapers are strung in a straight line about 2 blocks wide. There is no density. Philly is a small cluster? Lol get out of here.

There are also massive gaps in JC's skyline

If you really think JC has a nicer/bigger skyline than Philly why don't you start a thread on the City V. City board and we'll see which one is bigger. By 2020 Jersey City will have 8 supertalls?! Hahahaha! New York might not even have 8 supertalls by 2020. I bet Jersey City doesn't even have one by 2020. Philly probably won't even have one by 2020. Get out of here kid.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Small and clustered?? Haha... IDK how you possibly think Jersey City's skyline is anywhere close to the size of Philly but that's pretty funny. Jersey City will never be close to the size of Philly especially if developers keep proposing those fantasy towers.

1706 Rittenhouse Square Street - YouTube

Sorry but Philly looks big from every angle. It clobbers Jersey City which looks good from Lower Manhattan but thats about it. I've been to Jersey City. The highrises/skyscrapers are strung in a straight line about 2 blocks wide. There is no density. Philly is a small cluster? Lol get out of here.

There are also massive gaps in JC's skyline

If you really think JC has a nicer/bigger skyline than Philly why don't you start a thread on the City V. City board and we'll see which one is bigger. By 2020 Jersey City will have 8 supertalls?! Hahahaha! New York might not even have 8 supertalls by 2020. I bet Jersey City doesn't even have one by 2020. Philly probably won't even have one by 2020. Get out of here kid.
Those pictures you have of JC are old , there are only 2 gaps left and they will be filled by 2018. Another Skyline will form in JSQ which will have supertalls later this decade. The Waterfront will just have high rises and skyscrapers. NYC will have 14 super talls by 2020...

Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Those pictures you have of JC are old , there are only 2 gaps left and they will be filled by 2018. Another Skyline will form in JSQ which will have supertalls later this decade. The Waterfront will just have high rises and skyscrapers. NYC will have 14 super talls by 2020...
Maybe... possibly. NYC has what 4 right now? And two are under construction? Three world trade is being topped out at 7 floors because they can not find tenants to fill it. Two world trade isn't even beginning to rise. New York City is having problems finding tenants and you think Jersey City.... let me say that again... Jersey City. You think JERSEY CITY will have 8 supertalls in 8 years? HAHAHAHA. Get out of here. I bet you that supertall proposal for Journal Square won't be built by 2020. It will die just like that last supertall proposal did for Jersey City. I'm all for development for Jersey City... but you my friend are delirious. Jersey City can MAYBE compete with Pittsburgh, but even Pittsburgh has a bigger skyline than Jersey City... Philly just destroys Jersey City. No offense or anything but that's reality man.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:26 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Not Chicago's, but I don't see why it can't stake claim to a solid third. Its primary competition would be San Francisco, Houston and Miami.
Agreed. Also, a solid lulz at this Philly v. Jersey City pissing contest.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe... possibly. NYC has what 4 right now? And two are under construction? Three world trade is being topped out at 7 floors because they can not find tenants to fill it. Two world trade isn't even beginning to rise. New York City is having problems finding tenants and you think Jersey City.... let me say that again... Jersey City. You think JERSEY CITY will have 8 supertalls in 8 years? HAHAHAHA. Get out of here. I bet you that supertall proposal for Journal Square won't be built by 2020. It will die just like that last supertall proposal did for Jersey City. I'm all for development for Jersey City... but you my friend are delirious. Jersey City can MAYBE compete with Pittsburgh, but even Pittsburgh has a bigger skyline than Jersey City... Philly just destroys Jersey City. No offense or anything but that's reality man.
Urban Jersey / Jersey City does have higher transit usage then Philly and a ever expanding system unlike slow septa.... I bet you JSQ and the Waterfront plans will get built , probably because they already started pre-construction on those sites...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia