Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:16 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times

Advertisements

Sorry, meant Club District not Club City.

Agree it sounds like Old City, Washington Square West, Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square and Fitler Square would be ideal. Do each of these vary much?

Also wondering the difference of being a mile or two just outside of Central City; pros and cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
If the "everything within walking distance" lifestyle is what you seek, then the above mentioned Center City box is where you need to be. This would include Old City, Washington Square West, Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square and Fitler Square.

Market East isn't residential and isn't currently very nice. Spring Garden is a bit on the fringe.

You can also enjoy that lifestyle in the northern blocks of Bella Vista, Graduate Hospital (or whatever they're calling it now), and perhaps even Queen Village.

I've never heard of Club City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Sorry, meant Club District not Club City.

Agree it sounds like Old City, Washington Square West, Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square and Fitler Square would be ideal. Do each of these vary much?

Also wondering the difference of being a mile or two just outside of Central City; pros and cons.
I personally prefer the west of Broad Street areas which would be Rittenhouse and Fitler Square areas. Rittenhouse is busier and a bit more walkable.

Society Hill is beautiful, but a bit museum-like for my taste. Washington West is great, busy and very walkable. Old City is nice and there's lots to do, but you get a lot of drunks from the burbs on the weekends. Stay north of Market if you live in Old City.

I'm not sure where the Club District is.

The mile away areas would be places like University City/West Philly, which is great with lots of beautiful Victorian houses. Also places like Fairmount, Northern Liberties, etc have a lot going for them, but maybe not quite walkable enough for your preferences. A lot of people seem to be gravitating to Fishtown these days, which is a stalwart blue collar area being "gentrified".

The main "con" to being a mile or two out of Center City is that it gets progressively less convenient and can also get borderline rough-edged depending on where you are. Rough-edged doesn't necessarily mean dangerous, perhaps just less genteel.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 AM

434 posts, read 1,312,988 times
Quote:
Agree it sounds like Old City, Washington Square West, Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square and Fitler Square would be ideal. Do each of these vary much?.
Housing price & availability will probably be what drives your decision between these areas. There are some differences but probably nothing, really, that would make you choose your second favorite condo in one versus your favorite in another.

In *general* (and these are wide generalizations): Old City is artsy with galleries and cute little shops. If you want a "loft" there are probably more here than anywhere else in CC. Society Hill is full of beautiful brownstones. You'll have a hard time figuring out the line between Society Hill and WashWest, but I feel like WashWest has a wider mix of different housing types, and cuter shops (don't miss Pine between 10th & 13th Sts). Rittenhouse Sq is bustling with activity and - since it's closest to high rise office buildings - you'll find a lot of people running around in suits during the day, but mostly disappearing at night. (IMO it's better to play than live in Rittenhouse, but it's also probably the most expensive area on your list.) Walnut St between about 15th & Rittenhouse is one of the main "mall-store" shopping areas. Fitler Sq is much like Rittenhouse but has a more residential feel.

If you need to have a car you should consider parking as well. Garages are scattered all over and prices vary ($$$). I found it pretty easy to find street parking in WashWest too.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:01 AM

434 posts, read 1,312,988 times
Quote:
Old City is nice and there's lots to do, but you get a lot of drunks from the burbs on the weekends. Stay north of Market if you live in Old City.
Very true!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 AM

Thank You...very helpful!

So you would prefer Rittenhouse and Fitler Square areas over Washington West?

Regarding going there for the weekend, looking on Priceline.com and there are the following grouped areas:

Rittenhouse Square - Business District –
Convention Center - Mid Center City – Probably the most centrally located?

Quote:
I personally prefer the west of Broad Street areas which would be Rittenhouse and Fitler Square areas. Rittenhouse is busier and a bit more walkable.

Society Hill is beautiful, but a bit museum-like for my taste. Washington West is great, busy and very walkable. Old City is nice and there's lots to do, but you get a lot of drunks from the burbs on the weekends. Stay north of Market if you live in Old City.

I'm not sure where the Club District is.

The mile away areas would be places like University City/West Philly, which is great with lots of beautiful Victorian houses. Also places like Fairmount, Northern Liberties, etc have a lot going for them, but maybe not quite walkable enough for your preferences. A lot of people seem to be gravitating to Fishtown these days, which is a stalwart blue collar area being "gentrified".

The main "con" to being a mile or two out of Center City is that it gets progressively less convenient and can also get borderline rough-edged depending on where you are. Rough-edged doesn't necessarily mean dangerous, perhaps just less genteel.

Last edited by movin2Reston; 05-15-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 PM

27 posts, read 91,359 times
Don't forget Northern Liberties..its north of Spring Garden St which means it lies about 5 mins north of Old City. It's "hipsterville" but it has nice amenities: A new Grocery store just opened, plus you have The Piazza with all the unique shops. With you being over 40 you'd still fit the neighborhood demographic, as there are many families who live in NOLIB. Just a thought. But stay south of Girard Ave. I would compare it to the U street area in DC but more tamer/quieter.

If I were buying a townhouse I would look there first and then the Graduate Hospital area as well.

Condo Living in WashSqWest is nice but a little too busy for my taste. The same could be said for Rittenhouse Square. Plus parking is at a premium in both areas. More than likely you will be paying for monthly parking in these areas. These areas would be considered the Gayborhood.

Old City is busy & club/bar central. If loud crowds aren't your thing stay away. It amazes me the people who move to Old City & cry about noise from 20-something club goers.

Chestnut Hill & Mt Airy are wonderful areas. Very diverse/integrated, GLBT friendly neighborhoods, affluent, but definitely family oriented and its 20-25 mins away from Center City w/o traffic on 76 Think Upper NW Washington

Good luck on leaving the rat race that is Northern Virgina

Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 PM

36 posts, read 47,644 times
Priceline. I used Priceline last year for Philly they didn't have all the choices they are using now. Both locations Rittenhouse and Convention Center - Mid Center City would both be a good location for exploring Philadelphia . When I did receive a bid on Priceline I was given the Marriott on 12 and Market , another time a different Marriott around 13 and Market and a Holiday Inn at 13 and walnut. These 3 would be in the convention , mid center city location. Then I received The Embasy Suites at 18 and JFK Blv. And another at the Radison Warwick ( not as nice as photos but good location) at 17 and Locust St. These 2 be the Riitenhouse Business area.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Someone mention the price of parking, which is something to consider. The Art museum area also called Fairmount may be another place to consider. Its a nice area not far from center city , maybe 15 min walk. I believe you could park on the street and rent be a little lower then center city.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 PM

Recall how much they typically go for? Never used Priceline and wondering where to start a bid.

Also, any suggestions on timing? Try it about a week before arrival date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango8 View Post
Priceline. I used Priceline last year for Philly they didn't have all the choices they are using now. Both locations Rittenhouse and Convention Center - Mid Center City would both be a good location for exploring Philadelphia . When I did receive a bid on Priceline I was given the Marriott on 12 and Market , another time a different Marriott around 13 and Market and a Holiday Inn at 13 and walnut. These 3 would be in the convention , mid center city location. Then I received The Embasy Suites at 18 and JFK Blv. And another at the Radison Warwick ( not as nice as photos but good location) at 17 and Locust St. These 2 be the Riitenhouse Business area.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Recall how much they typically go for? Never used Priceline and wondering where to start a bid.

Also, any suggestions on timing? Try it about a week before arrival date?
I start with $60 choose 3and 1/2 start rating hotel , if they don't take it I go up to$65. I usually get the $65 unless something is going on in th e city conventions or something. You could start even lower and keep going up $5. Timing wise I am not sure I would try as soon as I was sure of my date of travel, once you except it you can not cancel or get a refund. I do remember making reservation's a week ahead of time but sooner may be better.

Last edited by Mango8; 05-15-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia