U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 PM

12 posts, read 51,689 times

Advertisements

I will be working in West Chester, and I don't mind a bit of a commute. Would it make sense to consider living in Delaware. I know the West Chester area has a lot to offer, but are taxes, schools, home prices any better in Delaware?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 AM

148 posts, read 234,667 times
Sorry to be a little annoyed, but why are you comparing a small borough with a state that extends to New Jersey, Maryland, and the Ocean? Even the part that borders PA varies quite a bit.

Get specific and maybe we can help you out. Joe Biden's mansion estate with private lake is no more than 3 miles from boarded-up crackhouses. Think Camden-Cherry Hill.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 AM

1,771 posts, read 2,716,683 times
West Chester is indeed very pricey as are many of the the surrounding areas such as Chadds Ford. I think you get more bang for the buck in parts of DE - say the Brandywine Hundred areas, but I've read on here that the schools can be rather dicey. Hopefully, some of the posters who are parents can chime in on that topic.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 AM

12 posts, read 51,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Sorry to be a little annoyed, but why are you comparing a small borough with a state that extends to New Jersey, Maryland, and the Ocean? Even the part that borders PA varies quite a bit.

Get specific and maybe we can help you out. Joe Biden's mansion estate with private lake is no more than 3 miles from boarded-up crackhouses. Think Camden-Cherry Hill.
Sorry, guess I should have been more specific.
Is there a big enough difference in taxes and housing prices in Delaware that would make it worth looking at some of the towns that border PA?
I also wondered if anyone knows of someone who lives in Delaware but works in the Chester County area, and it they thought it is advantageous to live in Delaware as opposed to the Chester County area.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM

132 posts, read 252,548 times
My parents now live in Delaware and my dad works in West Chester. Yes, he does have that aweful commute via 202 each day.

My parents moved to Delaware for the low taxes and therefore do not have to worry about schools. If you have children and you want to send them to public schools stay away from Delaware! While Brandywine is an OK school district the test scores are poor compared to schools is on the PA side (West Chester, Rose Tree or Garnet Valley).

So if the schools are not a factor then Delaware is your best bet. You can get more house for your money, especially in North Wilmington.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:16 PM

187 posts, read 302,936 times
There are excellent schools near West Chester, so I am guessing that wouldn't be a reason to. Just to name one, my high school, Great Valley, is in neighboring Malvern and is highly rated these days. WC itself is pretty lively, with good restaurants and bars for younger and older crowds. Chester County is pretty as well, as are parts of Delaware of course but I wouldn't say prettier. I have no idea about home prices or taxes, but I'm not sure what else Delaware living would offer over Chester County living.

Also, I wouldn't want to do that commute on 202. Maybe if your job was on the south side of West Chester near 202, but it is not a fun ride. It is a highway, but with lots of stop lights and aggravation.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:02 PM

6,005 posts, read 5,415,965 times
If price isn't that much of a concern, then there is no reason to even consider Delaware over Chester county.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,766 times
West Chester housing is $$$$. They do have great schools though compared to Delaware. I lived in Delaware for 2 years before moving to Downingtown (10 mins away from WC). I wouldnt recommend the commute on 202 every single day. It's horrendous.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,906 times
Default Delaware or West Chester

I find the property taxes in PA really high. If one lives in Hockessin what is the difference between taxes paid with state and property, local etc between Kennett Square and Hockessin? I have no children in school.

thanks

Old 04-03-2015, 08:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,670,813 times
Sort of related, maybe ??
But I lived in West Chester and commuted to the MBNA buildings in Wilmington and the drive was BRUTAL! I tried every different way I could, and some days to would take over an hour due to the traffic. I would still try to live in West Chester, because on most quality of life issues, West Chester will be better than a lot of northern DE. The extra money put out might be worth it to you. 0.2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or