Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 10:35 AM

10 posts, read 28,153 times

Advertisements

Quick questions please.

1. I have id'd the following - Media, Springfield, Haverstown, Yardley, Bensalem and Fox Chase. I am budgeting $1300 for an apt and 200 for utilities, assuming no roaches/mice etc in apt and something nice to live. Reasonable?

2. Any private/public schools in these areas that can take my 5 year kid for FULL DAY? I heard that public schools are 2 hour Kingergarten. We need a full day - NOT DAY CARE - but like 9 to 3 school. Possible at all?

3. Today this forum says there is not a single area in and around Philly suburbs where you can walk to a park with kid or use bicycle. Is this area that bad all over the place?

Can someone please answer these questions before I start driving from midwet in the first week of October? Please?

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
I can tell you #3 is nonsense. There are a lot of good safe areas in and around Philly. Ignore the naysayers.

I assume you want a two bedroom apartment. I think you will be able to find something is those areas (possibly not in Yardley).

You would have to check with the local schools about their kindergarden schedule.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:45 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
I agree, #3 is nonsense. Who told you that?

#1 sounds reasonable.

#2 - Kindergarten - I've never heard of 2-hour kindergarten. I have heard of half-day kindergarten.

Media is a great little town. The others are pretty much as well.

Why are you asking in such a begging manner? Did you post this before and get ignored?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I agree, #3 is nonsense. Who told you that?

#1 sounds reasonable.

#2 - Kindergarten - I've never heard of 2-hour kindergarten. I have heard of half-day kindergarten.

Media is a great little town. The others are pretty much as well.

Why are you asking in such a begging manner? Did you post this before and get ignored?
Half day Kinder-Garten = 9 am to 11 am or 2 pm to 4 pm. Is that your definition of half day? Then great. It is half day!

In a city and suburbs of 1.5 million people I cannot find a single private or public school (not day care) for my 5 year kid to have 8 am to 3 pm KG school. Great. and it is just wonderful. I am relocating to this place. I am sure I am going down the drain. WTF it matters? I am just another bloody idiot who would be shot in the downtown with a bullet in skull when I commute on a daily basis and I will disappear like another stinking fart into thin air. It matters absolute nothing. Just a %@#$%@# My fate is that way. Nobody is to be blamed.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
The city has about 1.5 million, the region is around 4 or 5 million.

Clearly you already have preconceived notions that you are too good for this region, which, if I may venture a guess, has nothing to do with your kindergarten search.

Most kindergartens I know are full day. I went to half-day, about 25 years ago, which was from like 9 to 1 or something like that.

Where are you relocating from?

Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
The city has about 1.5 million, the region is around 4 or 5 million.

Clearly you already have preconceived notions that you are too good for this region, which, if I may venture a guess, has nothing to do with your kindergarten search.

Most kindergartens I know are full day. I went to half-day, about 25 years ago, which was from like 9 to 1 or something like that.

Where are you relocating from?
I am relocating from Midwest - Milwaukee, WI. I lived in MD before and disliked it first but when I was beginning to like it and had a house I lost job and had to sell house and move. %$@#^%#

Regarding the preconceived notions that I am too good for the region, may I add that I have no other option? :-( I am losing my job here and have a job offer from Philly downtown and the job offer is from Fed Govt. The other local offer is matching salary with fed but the offer is from county govt which people say can be VERY unstable (layoffs looming around with the whims and fancies of the board of directors or whatever). Wish I had a gun to shoot myself in the head (I shot myself in the foot by applying and accepting the fed job). I hate to move now but there is really no other option.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:07 AM

Philadelphia public schools (which would be in Fox Chase - a decent area of the city and one you listed as a possibility) have full day kindergarten.

One thing that sets Philadelphia public school kindergartens apart is that every kindergarten class in every School District of Philadelphia elementary school is full-day kindergarten. While Governor Edward G. Rendell has proposed instituting full-day kindergarten throughout Pennsylvania as one of his education initiatives, Philadelphia's public schools already provide this important service.

Now, get a damm attitude adjustment. This is a great city.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:20 AM

274 posts, read 1,400,521 times
RE: Springfield area, Media area or Havertown: for full day kindergarten check out the Catholic elementary schools...some of them have full day kindergarten. I know that St. Kevin School in Springfield does.
Not too sure about Mary Magdalene in Media. Annuniciation School & St. Denis School are in Havertown. Check them out - you will find full day kindergarten

Old 09-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Philadelphia public schools (which would be in Fox Chase - a decent area of the city and one you listed as a possibility) have full day kindergarten.

One thing that sets Philadelphia public school kindergartens apart is that every kindergarten class in every School District of Philadelphia elementary school is full-day kindergarten. While Governor Edward G. Rendell has proposed instituting full-day kindergarten throughout Pennsylvania as one of his education initiatives, Philadelphia's public schools already provide this important service.

Now, get a damm attitude adjustment. This is a great city.
LOL. That is a great statement about attitude adjustment. Hit me where it is most needed. Thanks :-)

Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLocPhilly View Post
LOL. That is a great statement about attitude adjustment. Hit me where it is most needed. Thanks :-)

Good. You may just be surprised at how much you like it here. Keep your mind open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia