U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 25,437 times
Default public housing/low income housing in good neighborhoods in philadelphia pa

hello everyone, I would like to move to philadelphia and currently i will have income coming from my unemployment which will be enough if i live in low or public housing. Ive been on the internet and seen some apartments and read really bad reviews on a few i know that someone who lives locally would know where the apartments are that are in the better nieghborhoods

im looking for a 2-3 bedrm preferably 3 who allows cats
in either low-income based or public housing *apartment*
and in a good and safe nieghborhood

Thank you for all your helpful feedback!
God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 AM

6,122 posts, read 4,480,406 times
I know there are some in South Philly around the Bella Vista, Queen Village, Pennsport neighborhoods. Stay away from any public housing in North Philadelphia and you should be fine.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,241,770 times
Stay away from public housing in general. I've never heard anything good about public housing in Philadelphia, even the units in decent neighborhoods have problems.

In any case, the waiting list to get in is several years long, or so I've heard.

If you're looking to move to the city it'd be best to secure employment first. Once you've done that you will have access to market rate apartments in better neighborhoods.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 PM

312 posts, read 344,235 times
Is this a joke? really? Looking for good low income public housing? and a good safe neighborhood? wow smh......I hope you're from out of state. To be asking this.....

Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 PM

312 posts, read 344,235 times
You ever heard the saying you get what you paid for? Well in cases like these people get what they don't pay for....
Unless you are willing to put your family in situations where there is crack,weed,cocaine and ex cons coming and being release in and out of jail to these environment then be my guess move there....but being I am guessing you have kids....id just save up money and move into an apt with a year lease......You would be doing you and your family a favor...there's no easy way out or short cuts here..... ahhh the beauty of being awaken at 5 in the morning to the sounds of the FBI or DEA ripping your neighbors doors off the hinges......

Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM

7,720 posts, read 11,599,933 times
What is your preferred budget? Do you plan to find employment once you arrive? If so, what kind?

One answer might be to contact the Philadelphia Housing Authority (PHA) although there is likely a long waiting list of locals ahead of you.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:11 PM

25,135 posts, read 30,803,918 times
The Philadelphia Housing Authority is in an embarrassing disarray. I'm not saying don't try, but don't get your hopes up, either. The waiting list is miles long (even though there are private Section 8 landlords with vacant homes), clients show up for late morning appointments and sit there all day waiting, then are told to come back tomorrow, phone calls aren't returned, etc. It's a disgrace.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 25,437 times
I am expecting and i need an apt big enough for my family which will have an additional member in 3 months. I do plan on working but its harder to find a job when youre big (showing) so that is why i am more focused on getting a place vs a job right now. I understand that public housing is usually not in good areas so i was asking about the better areas and i wanted to try income based b4 i tried public housing bcus they are usually in better areas but the waiting list may be longer than the time ill need to have a place by. I only see it to be temporary until i can find a job so i can move out and into an apt or home that i wont have a problem to afford then. Thank you again to all for your helpful feedback

Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,241,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegod2012 View Post
I am expecting and i need an apt big enough for my family which will have an additional member in 3 months. I do plan on working but its harder to find a job when youre big (showing) so that is why i am more focused on getting a place vs a job right now. I understand that public housing is usually not in good areas so i was asking about the better areas and i wanted to try income based b4 i tried public housing bcus they are usually in better areas but the waiting list may be longer than the time ill need to have a place by. I only see it to be temporary until i can find a job so i can move out and into an apt or home that i wont have a problem to afford then. Thank you again to all for your helpful feedback
There's low income rentals and affordable housing. Low income rentals are, well, projects. A certain amount of your income has to go to rent if you are posting an income. Generally low income rental complexes are going to be in the projects. A few are part of mixed-income developments, which are better in terms of QOL, but they still contain problem renters and are probably nearly impossible to get into at this point. Like some have pointed out, PHA has a waiting list that's ten miles long. People wait years to get in. You could also apply for Section 8. I have no idea how you do that, but most Section 8 rentals are in the city's worst neighborhoods. Affordable housing are houses you buy, but you need a steady income, and can buy a house for a reduced rate, usually between $90,000 and $250,000, depending on the neighborhood.

If you're expecting it might be best to stay with family first and look for a job later. I wouldn't recommend trying to live in public housing with young children to anyone.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:51 AM

25,135 posts, read 30,803,918 times
^^That's not accurate. You have to go through PHA for a housing subsidy, whether you're living in PHA's public housing developments or getting a Section 8 -- now called Housing Choice -- voucher.

http://www.pha.phila.gov/housing.aspx

To answer your question about public housing, lovegod2012, Falls Ridge in East Falls is only a few years old and is in a decent neighborhood. The Abbottsford and Queen Lane developments are nearby; I wouldn't say either one is absolutely unsafe, but they've got their problems. All three have good access to public transportation. Those are the only three I have any direct knowledge of. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia