U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,138,825 times

Advertisements

The city gets better and better. I just moved to West Philly. If you had told me 10 - even 5 - years ago that I'd be living here I'd have called you a nutcase. This section of West has seen such steady improvement that I'm now happy to call this area home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 PM

6,970 posts, read 12,480,007 times
finally! the city's got it goin on

Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,710,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Thats only because of the ghetto rats procreating at a faster rate.
typical unsubstantiated, uninformed post from the king of them

Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 PM

3,421 posts, read 1,219,861 times
here is my question, are people with kids moving to the city, or is it just young single adults who are delaying marriage and/or have kids.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:16 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
here is my question, are people with kids moving to the city, or is it just young single adults who are delaying marriage and/or have kids.
Both... walk around Center City, South Philly, Fairmount, Northern Liberties, University City, Northwest Philly, Northeast Philly... I've been seeing a TON of kids around lately. IDK if I've just never noticed before. I was at Sister Cities Park just relaxing the other day and there were dozens of kids running around. It was very nice to see.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,417,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
There's an article on the subject from right here in Philadelphia. According to the article, the common thread in the cities' growth is not people on the dole angling for child subsidies but rather younger professionals who want to enjoy the vibrancy of an urban area, enjoy lower-maintenance apartment living and park/ditch their cars.

Now when said people decide to get married and have children, whether they will be advocates of their neighborhood schools, defer to charter/private schools or head out of town is another story. The author seems to think those kinds of decisions are being delayed due to the current economy.
Hmmm... I think the author might be right, unfortunately. I think a lot of the young people moving to the city now will want to move out later. I hope I'm wrong, though.

(I also want to move to the city and move to the suburbs later, although that doesn't seem too likely at the current time).

Old 06-29-2012, 12:33 AM

754 posts, read 633,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Thats only because of the ghetto rats procreating at a faster rate.
..............................................:dub ious:

Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,664,915 times
It wasn't important when the city was loosing people to the suburbs and it isn't important if the city is gaining on the suburbs. In the end it is all one city. The important thing is when the whole metro is growing and unfortunately Philly is not growing as fast as it's competitors. It won't be long before we aren't even in the top ten.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:24 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
It wasn't important when the city was loosing people to the suburbs and it isn't important if the city is gaining on the suburbs. In the end it is all one city. The important thing is when the whole metro is growing and unfortunately Philly is not growing as fast as it's competitors. It won't be long before we aren't even in the top ten.
Does population matter? Both San Fran and Boston aren't in the top ten and they out class almost everyone ahead of them... I think Philly outclasses Houston.

Philadelphia, a city with 134 square miles of city limits isn't going to beat out a suburban sprawled city like Houston with city limits over 500 square miles... have you actually SEEN Houston? There are literally fields of grass.. nothing but grass two blocks from Downtown Houston. Philly's suburbs are denser than neighborhoods in Houston and Atlanta that are a few blocks from their downtowns. It's pretty ridiculous.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:50 AM

2,911 posts, read 4,175,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Philadelphia is a very mature and established urban area. Hence, most growth opportunities now and into the future, even in most suburban areas, will consist of adaptive re-use and infill of previously developed areas. We simply do not have the space/infrastructure to support robust percentage growth year after year, like the Sun Belt (frankly, to me, and to many others, that's a good thing).

Also, that's not at all dissimilar from similarly mature metro areas like New York, Boston or Chicago.

As Summers said, we're not Houston or Atlanta (although they will reach their apex one day, too) in that we do not have a seemingly endless amount of space on which to develop and grow, but that certainly does not make us uncompetitive. If anything, it gives us the opportunity to become much more sustainable and reinvigorate a plethora of underutilized and derelict urban space (i.e., Philadelphia waterfront, urban centers like Chester/Norristown, industrial areas of North Philadelphia).

It won't happen overnight, but it's the most feasible and likely trend that will continue Philadelphia's revitalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia