Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:10 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Please then prospective news director; instead of a thunderstorm which where I live rained down hail the size of nickels, an event I hadn't seen in awhile, what exactly should have been the lead story last night?

The phillies won? Day 187 of Jerry Sandusky Coverage? The armed robbery of a deli on the main line?

I mean honestly it's the LOCAL NEWS! Piddling crap like "omg it thunder stormed tonight" is their bread and butter. This is not BBC or even the evening news. If you were expecting hard hitting investigative journalism or well thought out political piece you are in the wrong place.

Crime. Fires. Sports. Weather.

These are the main topics of the evening local news. If it snows, if it storms, if it's a heat wave, then in the world of local news that qualifies as a big story. If there is no crime, fire, or sports story that eclipses it then expect that weather story to lead. I mean honestly when it snows, expect more than 50% of the broadcast to be about the snow, minimum.

Weather is one of the few news stories that affects everyone. It's one of the biggest reasons people turn into the local news. It's why so many ads for local news program center upon their meteorologists and their weather.

Looking from a historical global perspective, the fact that 5 days in a row have been over 90 degrees in the city of philadelphia is virtually meaningless. Ditto the story that it snowed 4 inches in Philly. Both stories are not shocking, entirely abnormal, or really all that interesting. But right here and right now, the weather is something that we all experience and we all care about. 4 inches of snow is a big deal for those who need to commute the next morning, 98 degree heat is a big deal if you need to work outside.

I think the local news is pointless. I don't watch. If you don't like the idea that 90 plus degree weather is the lead story, then perhaps you shouldn't watch either.

You seem to make think that the coverage on the heat is somehow exclusive to Philly or at the very least exclusive to 2012. You are wrong. The local news has been doing this since its inception, if you don't like it watch something else.

Can this end now? I refuse to believe you are this dense.

Thunderstorm yes if it caused some damage, HEAT no because it's normal weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
The BIG story on Action News is a never-ending discussion by local armchair warriors about local news weather coverage. We go to correspondent Cathy Gandolfo for the details.....

Old 07-16-2012, 03:43 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't remember the local news being like this in the late 80's or 90's. If it was July then lead with regular news and talked about weather when it was time
As far as I'm concerned, it's much too hot and humid outside to get worked up over this topic today.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, it's much too hot and humid outside to get worked up over this topic today.
The news talk like you will PASS OUT as soon as you walk outside-LOL "There is a severe heat warning"

Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I don't know, but this weather is getting on my nerves. What good is a pool if it's too hot to even use it? (as it was in 2010 and is in 2012 as well) I take my dogs to the park and the creek they normally splash in, is completely dried-up. The flowers and lawns look like crap. It's not normal....but maybe it's becoming the "new normal".

BTW, back in the '80s, I was on a one-day business trip to Rochester NY. Woke up in the morning and it was zero degrees and snowing. (I didn't even think it COULD snow at zero....but, whatever.) Turned on the local news and guess what? It was no biggie! The city did not come to a standstill. They weren't even talking about it. Guess that's what's "normal" when you live in Rochester.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I don't know, but this weather is getting on my nerves. What good is a pool if it's too hot to even use it? (as it was in 2010 and is in 2012 as well) I take my dogs to the park and the creek they normally splash in, is completely dried-up. The flowers and lawns look like crap. It's not normal....but maybe it's becoming the "new normal".

BTW, back in the '80s, I was on a one-day business trip to Rochester NY. Woke up in the morning and it was zero degrees and snowing. (I didn't even think it COULD snow at zero....but, whatever.) Turned on the local news and guess what? It was no biggie! The city did not come to a standstill. They weren't even talking about it. Guess that's what's "normal" when you live in Rochester.
Rochester obviously doesn't have ACTION NEWS.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:43 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Thunderstorm yes if it caused some damage, HEAT no because it's normal weather
The average high temperature in Philadelphia in July is 86°. Yesterday the high temperature was 100°. This is the third summer in a row with at least one day of triple-digit heat in Philadelphia, but before 2010, you had to go back to 2001 to find another 100° day. There's a difference between "not unheard of" and "normal," but you don't seem to know it.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The average high temperature in Philadelphia in July is 86°. Yesterday the high temperature was 100°. This is the third summer in a row with at least one day of triple-digit heat in Philadelphia, but before 2010, you had to go back to 2001 to find another 100° day. There's a difference between "not unheard of" and "normal," but you don't seem to know it.
Yes for a 100 degree day it should be a top story but not for when the temp is 90 to 93. To me that is the NORM for July

Old 07-20-2012, 01:29 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Yes for a 100 degree day it should be a top story but not for when the temp is 90 to 93. To me that is the NORM for July
But in reality, normal in July is 86°.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:43 AM

735 posts, read 1,129,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
But in reality, normal in July is 86°.
The average temperature and what's normal are not really the same thing. Saying a temperature is normal for a time of year means it isn't odd or unheard of when it happens, not that it happens often enough for it to be the average temperature for that period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia