Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 AM

12 posts, read 16,936 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I'm looking at a great job opportunity in Glenside for Fall 2013, Arcadia University. Looking for info on the best high schools for my daughter who will be a junior, an above average student with ADHD. Used to driving 30-45' to work when we were in KC and SL. Also, best recommnedations for housing and taxes. All information is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
The Abington School District, which includes Glenside, would be the most convenient choice, and is above-average overall. For that matter, virtually all suburban school districts within your preferred commute are above-average. The consensus on this forum seems to be that the "best" suburban schools are found in western suburban areas like, for example, Lower Merion School District and Rose Tree-Media School District. It may not necessarily be worth the commute, especially as housing will generally be more expensive.

What is your preferred housing budget?

Old 08-18-2012, 08:34 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The Abington School District, which includes Glenside, would be the most convenient choice, and is above-average overall. For that matter, virtually all suburban school districts within your preferred commute are above-average. The consensus on this forum seems to be that the "best" suburban schools are found in western suburban areas like, for example, Lower Merion School District and Rose Tree-Media School District. It may not necessarily be worth the commute, especially as housing will generally be more expensive.

What is your preferred housing budget?
Lower Merion (and especially the Media Area) would make for a hellish commute to Glenside.

A budget would definitely be helpful.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:27 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Lower Merion (and especially the Media Area) would make for a hellish commute to Glenside.

A budget would definitely be helpful.
I couldn't agree more about the commute; my intent was to emphasize that a great if not quite top-tier education can be found within a short distance of Arcadia University.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
That entire Eastern Montgomery County area is solid, both neighborhood and schools wise.

The Western burbs, especially the fabled Main Line, is fetished here. The Main Line is like the trophy blond with enhanced bosoms that is all show and image. Eastern Montgomery County is like the smart, stable pretty brunette that you take home for Sunday dinner with mom.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:29 PM

12 posts, read 16,936 times
Thanks, everyone, for the quick replies. Our housing budget ends at $300K, 3+ bedrooms, 2 & 1/2 baths, 2 car garage, a decent [not huge] yard, flexible on house style/age though taste is toward the new/contemporary. I'm used to a 35-40' commute TO work and longer on the return home from years in KC and SL. Happy also to ride the rails!

Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
That entire Eastern Montgomery County area is solid, both neighborhood and schools wise.

The Western burbs, especially the fabled Main Line, is fetished here. The Main Line is like the trophy blond with enhanced bosoms that is all show and image. Eastern Montgomery County is like the smart, stable pretty brunette that you take home for Sunday dinner with mom.
I take issue with the idea that the Main Line cost premium stems entirely from hype (your metaphorical comparison also needlessly plays off some nasty stereotypes, but that's another issue entirely). Compared to the Lower Old York Road region, there's much more upscale custom construction, more charming village centers, and easier access to Center City. The Main Line is home to some of the region's most expensive real estate for a very good reason. That said, I totally agree that the Old York Road Area offers a better bang for buck, and there's no good reason a person should regularly commute from the Main Line to Glenside, especially when their housing budget is in the $300k range. Finding newer construction will be a bit of an issue, but it's not at all difficult to find home in move-in condition. You'll have to go pretty far out to find new homes in your price range.

If I were in the OP's position, I would look no further than Cheltenham, Abington, Jenkintown, and Springfield MontCo. All convenient, charming communities with excellent school districts (and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg to get a nice home, either).

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 08-19-2012 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I agree with Tone. I would first consider Glenside area itself before looking any further. Great schools and no commute! BTW, I think Arcadia is a great school. It was on my youngest son's short list.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Arcadia is located right next to an exit off the Fort Washington Expressway (Rt 309). That opens up the northern suburbs as options for you as well. Look into Upper Dublin and Ambler areas . . . as well as Abington as mentioned above and possibly Springfield Twp.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Arcadia is located right next to an exit off the Fort Washington Expressway (Rt 309). That opens up the northern suburbs as options for you as well. Look into Upper Dublin and Ambler areas . . . as well as Abington as mentioned above and possibly Springfield Twp.
Upper Dublin will probably be a bit beyond the OP's budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia