U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 AM

991 posts, read 917,997 times

Advertisements

I am a 33-year old single, male professional looking to possibly relocate to the East Coast in the next few years. I am originally from New York State, and my dad lives in NYC...my mom lives in Central PA, and my brother lives in the DC area. I am a CPA and I did the research and found out that my CPA license transfers very easily to PA and I was thinking that Philly might be a good, vibrant city to relocate too so that I could be closer to my family.

I own a home...I am not sure I want to do that again any time soon. I like (and miss) city life. I am looking for an apartment in a neighborhood where a lot of people live in or near the city. I would also like to dump the car if possible...so I was looking for a walkable neighborhood that would have access to public transportation.

Is this kind of lifestyle available in Philly? I am also looking at NYC, Baltimore, and DC. Philly seems to be the most practical. I will obviously visit the city a few times before I make the decision, but I just wanted to get some tips from locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,396,609 times
That would be the best scenario, I think, to live in Philly.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 AM

8,702 posts, read 11,876,930 times
Philadelphia is the perfect place for single professionals. Philadelphia has a great public transit system (all though not as good as NYC, it gets the job done). Living without a car is very easy in Philly.

Living in Center City or the immediate surrounding neighborhoods would probably be the best bet for you so you can be close to the action (nightlife/walkable/great amenities) and have access to good public transit and Amtrak which will take you to NYC or DC.

What do you think your budget will be for renting? This will help us suggest the best possible neighborhood for you.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,219,711 times
You can do that easily in Philly. Look around Center City and adjoining neighborhoods like University City, East Passyunk, and Northern Liberties/Fishtown. They should have basically everything you'd be looking for.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 AM

51 posts, read 113,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I am a 33-year old single, male professional looking to possibly relocate to the East Coast in the next few years. I am originally from New York State, and my dad lives in NYC...my mom lives in Central PA, and my brother lives in the DC area. I am a CPA and I did the research and found out that my CPA license transfers very easily to PA and I was thinking that Philly might be a good, vibrant city to relocate too so that I could be closer to my family.

I own a home...I am not sure I want to do that again any time soon. I like (and miss) city life. I am looking for an apartment in a neighborhood where a lot of people live in or near the city. I would also like to dump the car if possible...so I was looking for a walkable neighborhood that would have access to public transportation.

Is this kind of lifestyle available in Philly? I am also looking at NYC, Baltimore, and DC. Philly seems to be the most practical. I will obviously visit the city a few times before I make the decision, but I just wanted to get some tips from locals.

Philly like any city affected by the housing bubble is full of trasnplants, hipsters, and yuppies who gravitate towards its core (centercity, manhattan, etc) and then claim to live IN that core... this type of delusion breeds a low and pretentious life. If thats what you're looking for come to Philly or NYC. If you want something more real, stay in MO.

For the most part big cities are over crowded and full of delusional 'up and comers' 'waiting for the market to turn around' -- crime is creeping in...mortgages are upside-down, divorce is on the horizion... much is coming... think before you leap.

Also, though you are 33 and single (strange..) IF you decide to start a family, philly is not the place. Bad schools, crime, no space, etc. Most yuppies learn this when their kids turn 5 and have to go to the local public or 'private' schools ...then reality hits...

cops, judges, lawers, doctors, people born and raised in philly get OUT of philly for good reason -- its a place you start out at, not end up... read philly.com to get up to date on the criminal activity here

Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 AM

735 posts, read 948,086 times
LOL Missouri is more real than Philly? ' outta here

Let me guess.... you're from the Northeast huh

Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 AM

22,309 posts, read 32,043,241 times
Many great areas in the city these days. Check out some nabes. Assuming you work for on of the firms in CC you could likely walk to work. Before dumping the car overall though you may want to look at where you may need to travel. If regional many companies will be outside the city and require a drive. Guess there is always car share. BTW Center City Philadelphai has just about the highest pedestrian commuter rate in the country. Center City is loaded with single professionals.

Best of luck and definately make the trip. Come in the early fall to get a best time IMHO to visit.

Here is a site that may be helpful

Center City District / Central Philadelphia Development Corporation Of Philadelphia

Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 AM

22,309 posts, read 32,043,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling_Rock View Post
Philly like any city affected by the housing bubble is full of trasnplants, hipsters, and yuppies who gravitate towards its core (centercity, manhattan, etc) and then claim to live IN that core... this type of delusion breeds a low and pretentious life. If thats what you're looking for come to Philly or NYC. If you want something more real, stay in MO.

For the most part big cities are over crowded and full of delusional 'up and comers' 'waiting for the market to turn around' -- crime is creeping in...mortgages are upside-down, divorce is on the horizion... much is coming... think before you leap.

Also, though you are 33 and single (strange..) IF you decide to start a family, philly is not the place. Bad schools, crime, no space, etc. Most yuppies learn this when their kids turn 5 and have to go to the local public or 'private' schools ...then reality hits...

cops, judges, lawers, doctors, people born and raised in philly get OUT of philly for good reason -- its a place you start out at, not end up... read philly.com to get up to date on the criminal activity here

Center City has the highest percentage of post graduate degrees of any DT in America, its loaded with Doctors and Lawyers, no shortage whatsoever.

To be fair to your points the city has many nabes not so desirable, that doesnt diminish the desired lifestyle of OP and that Philly in CC would absolutely deliver in spades (as would many of the others referenced)

Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,876,930 times
Quote:

Funny because my teacher last semester was a Lawyer and he lives in Chestnut Hill in Northwest Philadelphia. There are plenty of extremely wealthy people living in Center City, Northwest Philly and University City.

You sound like one of the doom and gloomers. Philadelphia is on the path of an astonishing turn around. Crime? Don't really worry about it living in a nice section of the city, nor am I ever bothered. Bad schools? Charters or Private/ catholic schools are an option. Then there are always the handful of great public schools (Penn Alexander, Masterman, Meredith, Central, etc.)... plus, the OP is single. If he does meet someone and ends up marrying this person, it is a good 10 years until children are even close to the horizon. That's 15 years of good city living before having to worry about sending a kid to school. Sure, people flee to the suburbs then to send their kids to the myriad of excellent schools in the Philly suburbs, but a lot of people are actually choosing to stay and raise their kids in the city now, which is only improving Philadelphia schools.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM

991 posts, read 917,997 times
Quote:

Why is that strange? I am 33 and don't want to get married yet or have kids...I am sure there are plenty of people like that out there...not everyone has to have a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or