U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 05:40 PM

83 posts, read 117,971 times

Advertisements

2e1m5aNon-violent drug crimes flood the legal system with unnecessary work and wastes countless time money and lives. Legalize drugs and prosecute violent offenders with a vengeance.

Over 50% of all Federal prisoners in the US are in jail on drug charges. I certainly don't want my tax dollars being spent to imprison and ruin the lives of urban minority youth or anyone else.

(How do I quote another post correctly...I don't see any option or button and now the formatting of my post is whacked out.)

Anyway, just consider this. If the other half of jails were full of robbers, would you simply want to make robbery legal too? After all, then the jails wouldn't be so full.

Drugs are illegal because they are detrimental to society. And if nobody had to consider criminal penalties, you can be sure that far more people would use drugs. Then drugs would become part of the everyday American experience, and nobody would benefit from that in any positive way.

Just because a lot of people do something that is illegal, doesnt mean it should be legalized. That's flawed logic. I understand the concern about people who are throwing their lives away and their freedom too, but the solution requires a societal change. We need to teach people the value of ambition and the results of honest, hard work. I might add that we need to stay focused on restructuring our system so that it rewards those things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 06:03 PM

735 posts, read 995,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
There is absolutely no benefit in imprisoning a non-violent person that committed a victimless crime. If anything, that non-violent addict becomes violent and even more unstable in the prison system.

The ”war on drugs” is the only crock. Portugal has legalized drugs-use is down and addicts get treatment. South American countries are now also realizing how terribly wrong US policy makers were. Its not even really a debate anymore.

America imprisons more of its citizens than any country in the world by a long shot. We have 5% of the world's population and 25% of the world's prisoners. You don't think we should begin differentiating between violent and non-violent offenders? Pharmaceuticals cigarettes and alcohol kill thousands each year. Marijuana has not killed a single person in it's 2000+ year recorded history. And you really believe we should spend Trillions hopelessly fighting a natural plant that grows all over the World, often in extreme conditions? Not to mention how for-profit prisons now add another dimension of ills. You are often right, but on this, you are misled.
The benefit is in getting dealers off the streets. The only reason so many are out there is because sentences are way too short. I'm not talking about possession. In case you forgot, the drug trade isn't only full of addicts. Either way, addicts don't need help. They need to grow up. I'm sick and tired of seeing suburban kids get hooked on drugs and then get treatment or get made out to be victims. Bull.

No it isn't. Portugal could never in a million years handle our problems.

On this, I am not an outsider. The hard drug trade ruined my neighborhood.

Quote:
It's hard to compare two different countries but it's true that drug use and drug related diseases in Portugal have drastically reduced since decriminalization. Not to mention the fiscal benefits of decriminalization. Over 50% of all Federal prisoners in the US are in jail on drug charges. I certainly don't want my tax dollars being spent to imprison and ruin the lives of urban minority youth or anyone else.
Portugal Drug Policy: Decriminalization Works - Business Insider
You're destroying their neighborhoods if you fuel the drug trade. The dealers and their customers are the ones ruining the lives of urban minority youth. If you don't believe me, ask one of them sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikrainian View Post
Anyway, just consider this. If the other half of jails were full of robbers, would you simply want to make robbery legal too? After all, then the jails wouldn't be so full.

Drugs are illegal because they are detrimental to society. And if nobody had to consider criminal penalties, you can be sure that far more people would use drugs. Then drugs would become part of the everyday American experience, and nobody would benefit from that in any positive way.

Just because a lot of people do something that is illegal, doesnt mean it should be legalized. That's flawed logic. I understand the concern about people who are throwing their lives away and their freedom too, but the solution requires a societal change. We need to teach people the value of ambition and the results of honest, hard work. I might add that we need to stay focused on restructuring our system so that it rewards those things.
100% agreed.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,579,145 times
Most of you guys know absolutely nothing about how the legal system works; it's obvious. If you did, you'd understand why judges can't just "throw the book" at everyone that walks in and why plea bargaining is necessary.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:48 AM

469 posts, read 816,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Most of you guys know absolutely nothing about how the legal system works; it's obvious. If you did, you'd understand why judges can't just "throw the book" at everyone that walks in and why plea bargaining is necessary.
Was this sentence necessary? In five years from now,I will bet the house he will kill someone.

Community anger leads to stricter sentence for man who shot kids - Philly.com

Old 08-27-2012, 01:56 PM

240 posts, read 492,395 times
This is without a doubt the most ridiculous thread I have ever read on here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Liberal court system in a liberal city. Never gonna change
I suppose we should just give em' all the chair, huh? Wouldn't want to be to liberal.

Quote:
Non-violent drug crimes flood the legal system with unnecessary work and wastes countless time money and lives. Legalize drugs and prosecute violent offenders with a vengeance.
what are you, 12? This is the literal argument everyone who wanted to "legalize" made when I was in 11th grade for there persuasive speeches. To this date I believe that one of them has a college degree and the other 7 sleep in their parents basements.

Also, even if I agree about decriminalization of weed, other drugs are far worse and as stated are extremely detrimental to society and neighborhoods and those people should be locked up. I don't think there is a such thing as a harmless crack head.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 AM

802 posts, read 1,161,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
You are right! The cops can arrest them day and night, but the courts keep letting them out.That is why I love when I hear about good people defending theirselves and killing trash.That's one less punk you have to worry about ever again.
Exactly and it saves taxpayers the expense of keeping the scumbags in prison.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 AM

11,953 posts, read 11,097,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voilalaura View Post
This is without a doubt the most ridiculous thread I have ever read on here...

I suppose we should just give em' all the chair, huh? Wouldn't want to be to liberal.

what are you, 12? This is the literal argument everyone who wanted to "legalize" made when I was in 11th grade for there persuasive speeches. To this date I believe that one of them has a college degree and the other 7 sleep in their parents basements.

Also, even if I agree about decriminalization of weed, other drugs are far worse and as stated are extremely detrimental to society and neighborhoods and those people should be locked up. I don't think there is a such thing as a harmless crack head.
No need to insult, spaz. I see you offer up NO SOLUTIONS, as usual for status-quo supporters.

Over 60% of The DEA's budget for the "War on Drugs" is spent on marijuana, so that is the 'drug' I am mainly referring to.
Although decriminalization across the board would be ideal, simply legalizing Marijuana would a HUGE step forward in restoring citizens' rights.
The DEA could even spend their time ridding our communities of Crack and Heroin, drugs that are currently seen as less harmful, according to the budget.

People like you love to ignore history. If prohibition didn't work for a product that man had to manufacture, why the hell would it work for a plant that grows all over the world, in extreme conditions, producing hundreds of seeds per plant. It ain't called the miracle plant for nothing.

It has also been apart of human culture for thousands of years and in some cases it had been the main crop and income source of countries before the US decided to alter our World. Alcohol causes MORE health problems and MORE societal problems than does marijuana! Cigarretes of course are worse than almost anything. Pharmaceuticals are killing more Americans than ANY illegal drug EVER has, including the years of the "crack epedemic". Nobody has ever died from the natural cannabis plant. These are indisputable facts.

Why aren't you advocating against pain pills and other pharmaceuticals. This is the current epidemic, there are more overdoses currently than ever in American history, and it is the result of legal drugs. Or are pain pills alright, because the Gubment told you so?

http://www.alternet.org/story/80448/...o_blame?page=4

If you make something illegal that has a demand, there will always be a black market. That black market is usually unregulated, violent and dangerous..

When you advocate for prohibition, you advocate for drug dealers, border and inner city violence and easy access to drugs. You advocate prisons prisons and more prisons-quite profitable too. You advocate denying millions of cancer patients (among others) access to a natural, safe and cheap medicine.
You deny our World green possibilities for the future- the hemp seed oil being used as an energy source, food sources, paper, building materials, etc.

Any adolescent will tell you that drugs are easier to obtain than alcohol. Drug dealers don't exactly ask for id, and they aren't too selective about the products they carry. Studies have shown that legalization would make it much more difficult for children to obtain drugs. It's simply common-sense. As for adults, it is not my nor your place to tell anyone what to do with their body or life.

I'm sorry but your position is propaganda fueled and becoming less and less relevant. You are now in the minority-Over half of the country supports marijuana legalization.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...uana-laws.html

Educate yourself on the history of marijuana prohibition or remain confused.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 08-28-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM

11,953 posts, read 11,097,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikrainian View Post

Humans have been altering their state of mind since the beginning of time, this is nothing new.

Marijuana is not illegal because it is detrimental to society. Marijuana has never produced a single fatality in it's 2000+ year recorded history. The prohibition of marijuana was originally based on racism (against Mexicans and AA), special interests (such as the patent of nylon by DuPont, Big Oil and now the growing Prison and law enforcement lobbyists, among others), and anti-war protester concerns in the 1960's.

There are many legal substances that are not safe for consumption. Cigarettes, Alcohol and Presciption Pills are all MUCH of a bigger threat to society. Hell, even 64 Oz. sodas McDonalds and reality TV are more of a detriment to society than is the miracle plant.

When Nixon issued researchers to study the health effects of Marijuana, he shredded the results and launched the longest and costliest war in United States history. The basis of which is built on lies and propaganda.

40 Years Ago Today: Congress Was Told To Tell The Truth About Marijuana; They Didn’t | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 08-28-2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 AM

7,780 posts, read 19,317,297 times
no ones ever died of killed another in a car accident high on pot?? LOLOL That is funny.. I hear the same crap from drug users all the time.. Its harmless!! LOLOL YEA OKAY

Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,968,159 times
I think it makes sense that marijuana should be restricted/regulated similarly to alcohol. tax it for revenue, intead of spending $$$ and lives battling crime cartels that arise to meet the demand for it when there are no legal avenues to obtain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia