U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:06 AM

1,319 posts, read 348,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
If you are really budget concious there is free parking near the Philadelphia Art Museum. At the intersection of Kelly Drive + Sedgely Rd. make the turn onto Sedgely and you can park along the street. When I was there last month there was no 2 hr limit. You can park all day up until 9 or 10 PM. But check the parking signs just in case they changed so you dont get a parking ticket.

Its about a mile walk from there to Center City, 2-3 miles to the historic sites. If you are in decent shape you won't have any problems.

You could walk down the Ben Franklin Parkway which is in front of the Art Museum or take the Schuylkill River Trail which takes you to Center City. You can get off on one of the bridges(Market,Chestnut or Walnut) or take the trail to the end where there is an entrance gate at Locust Street which takes you to Rittenhouse Square(5-6 blocks) which is the hub of Philadlephia culture and dining.

One of the best aspects of Center City imo is just walking the old neighborhoods like Rittenhouse Square,Fitler Square, Society Hill etc etc.
Thank you... very interesting. What's the address for the parking lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:15 AM

3,898 posts, read 8,050,860 times
Mapquest Kelly Drive and Sedgely Rd. Its not a parking lot it is a street that is at the entrance of Fairmount Park. You will see a bunch of cars maybe some buses parked there. Alot of people park there to use the park and row on the river.

There is a Free parking lot behind the Art Museum but it has a 2 HR parking limit which is enforced, if you are there for more than 2 Hrs you will get a ticket.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:49 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,051,407 times
Spend a lot of money on parking and risk a parking ticket or park for free at the Art Museum and walk a couple of miles.

This is crazy advice.

If you're going to park for free at the Art Museum and walk a mile to Rittenhouse or City Hall or 2 miles to Old City why wouldn't you just park for free at Woodcrest, take PATCO in for $3, see all there is to see around Rittenhouse, Walnut St., etc then spend $4 on the Phlash to go back and forth to other areas of CC?
http://c526532.r32.cf0.rackcdn.com/P...ap_HR-2012.pdf

Better yet, take PATCO to 8th & Market, walk 2 blocks to the visitors center, get a map, check out all the sites on that end of town then catch the Phlash to the Art Museum. When you're done there get the Phlash back towards Rittenhouse, explore, then catch PATCO back to Woodcrest from 16th & Locust.

Woodcrest Station is exit 31 on I-295. The exit is clearly marked with a giant train icon. The end of the off-ramp is an enormous parking lot. You can't miss it. It's a 20 minute ride into Center City which is a little quicker than driving assuming no traffic. Trains depart every 12 minutes off-peak and every 5 minutes during rush hour. $6 round trip for the train. $4 round trip for the Phlash.

Parking on most CC streets costs $2 an hour and the bridge toll is $5. You do the math.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:32 PM

142 posts, read 141,931 times
South Street and Penns Landing

Old 08-25-2012, 03:45 PM

3,513 posts, read 2,725,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Center City's layout is pretty simple to learn. I would suggest a bus tour but the OP is short of cash.
I always recommend the Big Bus to folks but it costs $27. An alternative I've never done is the Philly Phlash (Philadelphia Phlash Downtown Loop Philadelphia — visitphilly.com). I'm pretty sure it covers more or less the same route but for $2 without commentary. If you really want to park outside of Center City, it might even be a good alternative to get you in. As for those suggesting you drive around Center City - I can't imagine a worse way to visit the city than sitting in traffic on narrow streets viewing the city over your steering wheel. Find one or two neighborhoods to explore by foot. Study the web regarding the sites in different neighborhoods and pick from Old City, Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square, or South Street based on what interests you.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 PM

269 posts, read 210,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Hi everyone,

I will be taking a day-trip from North NJ down to Philadelphia (Never been in Philly) someday next week.
I'm planning on driving early morning, stay in the city for couple of hours and then come back before sunset.

Since I never been to Philly before.... What are some important things to see/do in the city? (No Museums)
(I'm in very tight budget, so don't want to spend more than $50 in the city including fast food).

Is there anywhere in the city I could park my car for very cheap or free? Is it walking distance to the sightseeing?

Thank you for responding
There have already been a number of helpful replies regarding what to see, where to eat, and where to park. Let me add an item: getting to Philly. NJ Tpk and Ben Franklin or other Delaware bridge tolls add up. "North NJ" is vague, but if you're talking about anywhere that's near I287 (western Bergen Country, for example), you could take I287 south to Somerville, then take US206 to I95 South, which will take you to Center City. Tolls: $0. I've driven many times from East Mt Airy to around Oakland, and it's a reliable 2 hrs 15 minutes. The NJ Tpk might be faster or it could be really, really slower. Consider this toll-free, possibly-a-bit-slower way to get here.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
There have already been a number of helpful replies regarding what to see, where to eat, and where to park. Let me add an item: getting to Philly. NJ Tpk and Ben Franklin or other Delaware bridge tolls add up. "North NJ" is vague, but if you're talking about anywhere that's near I287 (western Bergen Country, for example), you could take I287 south to Somerville, then take US206 to I95 South, which will take you to Center City. Tolls: $0. I've driven many times from East Mt Airy to around Oakland, and it's a reliable 2 hrs 15 minutes. The NJ Tpk might be faster or it could be really, really slower. Consider this toll-free, possibly-a-bit-slower way to get here.
Awesome... Thanks for the tips and I will definitely use it!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:47 PM

I just want to let you guys now that I'm currently at King of Prussia Mall.... OMG soo huge mall. It has even two seperate buildings! I first went to Downtown Philadelphia and took lots of pictures of places around the Museums and City Hall, very beautiful city! I was though surprised that the city almost seemed very empty and there were lots of road closings. Lots of homeless people near city hall area :/ Other than that beautiful and nice city! I was lucky finding a free parking spot by the help of the police, and all polices were nice and helpful!

BUT no city beats New York!

Old 09-02-2012, 02:53 PM

735 posts, read 405,148 times
Quote:
I just want to let you guys now that I'm currently at King of Prussia Mall.... OMG soo huge mall. It has even two seperate buildings! I first went to Downtown Philadelphia and took lots of pictures of places around the Museums and City Hall, very beautiful city! I was though surprised that the city almost seemed very empty and there were lots of road closings. Lots of homeless people near city hall area :/ Other than that beautiful and nice city! I was lucky finding a free parking spot by the help of the police, and all polices were nice and helpful!

It's Labor Day weekend! Everybody's down da shore

Road closings were for the giant Lollapalooza-sized concert going on at the Parkway. Made In America.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:40 PM

5,870 posts, read 3,927,108 times
Quote:

What UDResident said. Everyone is down the shore or on vacation for Labor Day weekend. The roads were closed off on the Ben Franklin Parkway for the Made in America concert.

Yeah there usually are homeless people around City Hall... don't know why.... the city is trying to get them out of the area though.

Glad you enjoyed the city though! I agree it is beautiful... and yes KOP mall is insane. It's such a good mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia