U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2012, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,700 posts, read 13,175,896 times
Reputation: 3630

Advertisements

I've taken it upon myself to create a neighborhood map for each section of the city.

In Philadelphia there are 12 districts:

-Center City
-South
-Southwest
-West
-Lower North
-Upper North
-Riverwards (Kensington)
-Olney/Oak Lane
-Upper Northwest
-Lower Northwest
-Near Northeast
-Far Northeast

Here is a map of those 12 districts:


Inside of each of the 12 districts is also a set of neighborhoods, like in most cities.

I have mapped out on Google Maps, the boundaries of each neighborhood within each district to help those better understand where each neighborhood is when moving to/visiting Philadelphia.

Neighborhoods of Center City: - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...66721,0.115185

Neighborhoods of South Philadelphia: - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...66755,0.115185

Neighborhoods of Lower North Philadelphia: - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...64059,0.127201

Neighborhoods of West Philadelphia: - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...28156,0.254402

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-07-2012 at 04:10 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,700 posts, read 13,175,896 times
Reputation: 3630
Neighborhoods of Center City:

Center City Philadelphia Map - Google Maps
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,700 posts, read 13,175,896 times
Reputation: 3630
Neighborhoods of South Philadelphia:

South Philadelphia Neighborhood Map - Google Maps
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Here&There
2,209 posts, read 3,893,690 times
Reputation: 2431
I'm fairly new here and there doesn't seem to be a concrete consensus to neighborhood boundaries and apparently there are new ones forming. Aside from boundary lines, I've never came across "Headhouse District" and I've always thought the "Loft District" was in the "Callowhill" area. And is the Gayborhood something separate from WSW or synonymous?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,700 posts, read 13,175,896 times
Reputation: 3630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I'm fairly new here and there doesn't seem to be a concrete consensus to neighborhood boundaries and apparently there are new ones forming. Aside from boundary lines, I've never came across "Headhouse District" and I've always thought the "Loft District" was in the "Callowhill" area. And is the Gayborhood something separate from WSW or synonymous?
"Headhouse District" is the area around Second and South Street and is synonymous with both South Street District and Society Hill.

The Loft District is the small area above the Convention Center where I listed it, however, people use Loft District, Chinatown North and Callowhill all for the Callowhill neighborhood... some people even call this neighborhood Northern Liberties.

The Gayborhood is synonymous with WSW... people also have recently been calling this neighborhood Midtown Village.

The boundaries for all neighborhoods I listed are almost as exact as they can get... people will always argue over neighborhood boundaries but these seem to be as close as I can get to the definite neighborhood boundaries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,700 posts, read 13,175,896 times
Reputation: 3630
Neighborhoods of Lower North Philadelphia:

Lower North Philadelphia Neighborhood Map - Google Maps
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,700 posts, read 13,175,896 times
Reputation: 3630
Neighborhoods of West Philadelphia

West Philadelphia Neighborhood Map - Google Maps
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,700 posts, read 13,175,896 times
Reputation: 3630
Is it possible to sticky this thread and for a mod to put all Google Map Neighborhood Maps into the same first post so we can just link this thread to people or link each Google Neighborhood Map to people who have any questions about neighborhoods?

If that is doable then Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 3,341,987 times
Reputation: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
"Headhouse District" is the area around Second and South Street and is synonymous with both South Street District and Society Hill.
The South Street Headhouse District is a Special Services District that covers South St., Fabric Row and the Headhouse area. It's not really a neighborhood. It's the sort of thing that might be useful when giving directions but I don't know anyone to use it to describe where they live - more often they complain about having to pay the tax. If they live on South, Kater or Gaskill they'll probably say they live on South St. anyone else is going to say the live in Wash West, SH, BV or QV.

Quote:
The Loft District is the small area above the Convention Center where I listed it, however, people use Loft District, Chinatown North and Callowhill all for the Callowhill neighborhood... some people even call this neighborhood Northern Liberties.
"Callowhill" is one of those concepts from consolidation that people don't use that often in everyday discourse (like Southwark) and if they do they usually use it incorrectly. In any case, Callowhill is much larger than the Loft District or Chinatown North and encompasses both of them. IMO, the term is obsolete and will become moreso in the years to come.

Quote:
The Gayborhood is synonymous with WSW... people also have recently been calling this neighborhood Midtown Village.
Midtown Village and Gayborhood are synonymous/coterminous. Midtown Village is basically just the marketing name/arm of the business community in the Gayborhood.

Wash West encompasses all of the Gayborhood and everything east to Old City.

Quote:
The boundaries for all neighborhoods I listed are almost as exact as they can get... people will always argue over neighborhood boundaries but these seem to be as close as I can get to the definite neighborhood boundaries.
My argument isn't over the boundaries as you've drawn them but in what you've drawn. A lot of these names don't necessarily describe neighborhoods - I think you're much better off going with RCOs listed by the PCPC . . . otherwise, good work. I know how tedious this stuff can be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,700 posts, read 13,175,896 times
Reputation: 3630
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
My argument isn't over the boundaries as you've drawn them but in what you've drawn. A lot of these names don't necessarily describe neighborhoods - I think you're much better off going with RCOs listed by the PCPC . . . otherwise, good work. I know how tedious this stuff can be.
Just trying to do my best so we don't have to keep explaining to everyone where everything is.

If a mod would clean it up and post all Neighborhood maps in the same first post, I will take suggestions on what to change/fix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top