Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 5,819 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move next Summer and need your help/input. Work will be in Bryn Mawr and would prefer 30 minutes or less for a commute. We need a super safe area with excellent schools.

When are you moving? Next Summer
Where are you coming from? Springfield, MO
Why are you moving? Job and better schools for our children
Where will you be working? Bryn Mawr, PA
Have you been here yet? Will be visiting in Nov. or Dec. (but my husband used to live in West Chester during his college years)
Will you buy or rent? Would prefer to buy, but are open to renting the first year
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House- up tp 600,000
Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with elementary age children
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? Yes
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet
What do you want to be closest to? Groceries, restaurants, shopping, etc.) - although we don't have to live directly in a town, but would like for groceries to be within a few minutes of us.
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Would prefer to live in an area that is majority white.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 01:17 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,330 times
I'm sorry, I can't resist... How about Springfield, PA (the one in DelCo)?

Radnor/Villanova/Wayne would probably be up your alley. Lots of well-to-do neighborhoods, great reputation, a quaint yet walkable downtown, large houses with large yards and some of the top public and private schools in the state.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:35 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
A lot of places would potentially suit your fancy. I'd recommend looking into:

Lower Merion
Narberth
Haverford
Radnor
Tredyffrin
Easttown
Marple
Newtown
Upper Providence
Middletown
Media
Willistown

Old 09-15-2012, 03:20 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
As HeavenWood attests, there are numerous towns within reasonable radius of Bryn Mawr - including possibly Bryn Mawr itself - that will fit your needs. You'll only be limited by your already ample budget.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 5,819 times
Thank you for your suggestions....we appreciate all of the help! We were looking online at homes and saw that there are several nice ones in Glen Mills and Garnet Valley, but were wondering if these areas are considered as nice and safe as the ones that you mentioned. What about Downingtown.....would it be too far?

Thanks again!!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAnotsure View Post
Thank you for your suggestions....we appreciate all of the help! We were looking online at homes and saw that there are several nice ones in Glen Mills and Garnet Valley, but were wondering if these areas are considered as nice and safe as the ones that you mentioned. What about Downingtown.....would it be too far?

Thanks again!!
During the off-hours, you could get from those areas to Bryn Mawr in about a half hour, but in peak traffic conditions, you're probably looking close to an hour, if not more.

Is there a particular reason you're drawn to Glen Mills and Garnet Valley? If I had to guess, you're taken in by the newer construction. If that's the case, you should be able to find a lot of suitable candidates in the Newtown, Upper Providence, Middletown, and Willistown areas. The other areas more heavily tilt toward older construction, but even there you can find a fair amount of quality, newish (though not "sparkling new") homes.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 09-16-2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM

82 posts, read 159,988 times
I think the ride from Glenn mills to bryn mawr is considerably less than an hour...35-45min max.
I would look into media as well. You will find a good selection of new/newer construction for under 700k.
You will not find new construction at that pricepoint in or around bryn mawr.
Media, Garnett valley, and the new West Chester (Rustin) schools are excellent.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf3971 View Post
I think the ride from Glenn mills to bryn mawr is considerably less than an hour...35-45min max.
I would look into media as well. You will find a good selection of new/newer construction for under 700k.
You will not find new construction at that pricepoint in or around bryn mawr.
Media, Garnett valley, and the new West Chester (Rustin) schools are excellent.
I meant to say it takes a half hour to get from Glen Mills/Garnet Valley to Bryn Mawr during the off-hours. But a 30 minute commute during rush hour traffic would probably be tough to swing.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,974 times
I think you've gotten good advice so far. There's no reason to live more than 10 miles from Bryn Mawr. You should be able to find more than enough options.

If you were looking out in Downingtown and happen to be working close to the train station in Bryn Mawr (downtown/college) that could save time and energy if you're commuting during rush hour.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:08 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Bryn Mawr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia