Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,398,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
You can always, always tell somebody who grew up with it to somebody who copied it.
Why would anyone want to copy it? Only ones I know that do that are mimicking Rocky
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Suburban people tend to put the emphasis on the exaggerated sounds, and their voices aren't as naturally deep as Philly people in general due to being softer, so they try to consciously talk a certain way and you can always tell.
Aside from deep,I've also noticed the city people's voices are more raspy...probably from talking so loud all the time and also all the pollution and everyone smoking...

Old 08-04-2013, 03:46 PM

177 posts, read 355,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Why would anyone want to copy it? Only ones I know that do that are mimicking Rocky
Locally, they copy it to sound "Philly". Nationally, they copy it to sound "urban". Most people who copy it don't even realize they're copying it. They're just trying to sound urban, sound tough, whatever, and so they intentionally do the same things that Philly people do naturally, and it comes out like a suburban, Montgomery County type of "Philly" accent.

Quote:
Aside from deep,I've also noticed the city people's voices are more raspy...probably from talking so loud all the time and also all the pollution and everyone smoking...
Gravelly, yeah. It's not the same as the way somebody's voice gets from smoking. Smokers have weak vocal chords, whereas Philly people have very strong ones.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,916,082 times
Quote:
Uhh no. I don't know what Kensington 'types' speak,but I'm referring more to south Philly,where I lived for 4 years.
Same principle applies.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:16 PM

177 posts, read 355,333 times
He said they were from Delco, right? Well there's a ton of actually Irish people in Delco (though a lot moved back during the Celtic Tiger boom) and kids who are first generation Americans with Irish parents. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Gravelly, yeah. It's not the same as the way somebody's voice gets from smoking. Smokers have weak vocal chords, whereas Philly people have very strong ones.
Oh they have strong ones alright...probably comes from yelling to each other down the street when they could just talk when they're next to each other like civil people But they do live on cigarettes,so they probably just defy genetics;

Old 08-04-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Same principle applies.
What principle? Are you implying I 'hang' around those types? Far from it,it couldn't be more apparent how standoffish I am to those people. But you can't completely avoid them and live in a bubble,unless that's what you do;

Old 08-04-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
What principle? Are you implying I 'hang' around those types? Far from it,it couldn't be more apparent how standoffish I am to those people. But you can't completely avoid them and live in a bubble,unless that's what you do;
I don't know or care what you do. I don't live in a bubble, but I do mostly hang around educated, white collar professional types. The more working class/blue collar people I do spend time with have urban Philly accents, but not a one says "noight."

Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
The more working class/blue collar people I do spend time with have urban Philly accents, but not a one says "noight."
Well go hang around 2nd St for awhile...and open your ears

Old 08-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Well go hang around 2nd St for awhile...and open your ears
That was around my (South Philly Jewish) grandfather's hood. Most definitely not a "noighter," nor were his South Philly Italian friends. The Fairmount Irish I know aren't noighters either, but South Philly is a special place, so maybe their residents of Irish descent buck the trend. I'll take a look and let you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia