Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 AM

2,933 posts, read 4,090,856 times
South Philly accent from an (in)famous South Fullufian.
"Next Exit, Main Street" - Joey Vento of Geno's Steaks in Philadelphia - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
I've always said "pair rents", even when we were too poor to have TV. Same with everyone at school. Seems like kids who watch too much TV just say "rents"
I don't know - i hear people say say it like that but not that often. I lived down south for 4 years, was in the Army for 5 years and got to hear a lot of different accents. Pretty much everyone from the south and midwest pronounces "parents" and "harry" so that it sounds like chair.

All of these people either say "parent" at some point or they say "apparently" and none of them say it your way.

IDEA - Dialects of Pennsylvania
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 11:14 AM

932 posts, read 1,934,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
South Philly accent from an (in)famous South Fullufian.
"Next Exit, Main Street" - Joey Vento of Geno's Steaks in Philadelphia - YouTube

I don't know - i hear people say say it like that but not that often. I lived down south for 4 years, was in the Army for 5 years and got to hear a lot of different accents. Pretty much everyone from the south and midwest pronounces "parents" and "harry" so that it sounds like chair.

All of these people either say "parent" at some point or they say "apparently" and none of them say it your way.

IDEA - Dialects of Pennsylvania
What'a ya talkin about? The "Jewish female, 70's, third generation Russian, retired, lifelong Philadelphia resident." clearly says "pairents" repeatedly.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
What'a ya talkin about? The "Jewish female, 70's, third generation Russian, retired, lifelong Philadelphia resident." clearly says "pairents" repeatedly.
ah, so she does. I didn't listen past the "rainbow" reading . . . and she doesn't pronounce "apparently" like that.

But like I said, I hear it occasionally but not enough to say that it's a marker of a Philadelphia accent.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:47 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,355,327 times
Quote:
In listening to her, the striking examples (besides pairents) are the way she says "token" (te-ow-ken) and "rainbow/Bainbridge", which seems to be very nasal and coming from the back of the throat.

The private-school guy doesn't have much of a Philly accent, as evidenced by his pronunciation of Sarah (Sah-rah rather than Sair-ah) and porridge (poor-idge, not pah-ridge).

I haven't listened to the others, but this is SO interesting! Thanks for the link, DrivecarePhilly! Perhaps THIS will help in my quest to lose my accent.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 AM

This girl is from Princeton - it's interesting in that she definitely has some Philly affectations but then there are a few NY ones too.
http://web.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica...newjersey4.mp3

going in the other direction here's a Baltimore accent (Baltimore suburbs maybe?)
Reminds me a lot of some people I know from South Jersey or DelCo but with a little twang to some words like "I" and "for".

Baltimore accents are hilarious - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
The private-school guy doesn't have much of a Philly accent, as evidenced by his pronunciation of Sarah (Sah-rah rather than Sair-ah) and porridge (poor-idge, not pah-ridge).
This guy definitely has a Philly accent . . . it's just an educated one. Listen to the way he says "cloth", "hurry" , "goose" and listen carefully to the way he pronounces the letter "L" (gross).

The number 6 guy is from SP, he says "SAIR-uh" but then says "HAR-isson" right after it.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:51 AM

712 posts, read 696,108 times
Quote:
This guy definitely has a Philly accent . . . it's just an educated one. Listen to the way he says "cloth", "hurry" , "goose" and listen carefully to the way he pronounces the letter "L" (gross).

The number 6 guy is from SP, he says "SAIR-uh" but then says "HAR-isson" right after it.
Interesting thread. You are absolutely correct about the private school guy. People associate the working-class (I can't come up with a better label) version of the Philadelphia accent as being true, or quintessential, when in fact the accent varies with a speaker's SES. In addition to the words you mentioned, his pronunciation of Sarah is actually common among his sub-group.

Last edited by BR Valentine; 09-21-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 12:10 PM

The hard A is common in a lot of words. Sair-uh, Hair-y, Hair-isson, Pair-ents, a-pair-ent, etc. I never knew that was a poor people of Philly thing.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM

712 posts, read 696,108 times
Quote:
The hard A is common in a lot of words. Sair-uh, Hair-y, Hair-isson, Pair-ents, a-pair-ent, etc. I never knew that was a poor people of Philly thing.
And that's what distinguishes private school guy. He uses (mostly) a soft a in Sarah and Mary. His pronunciation of Mary sounds more like marry.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
And that's what distinguishes private school guy. He uses (mostly) a soft a in Sarah and Mary. His pronunciation of Mary sounds more like marry.
I pronounce both the same, but with a hard a

Old 09-21-2012, 05:00 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,860,982 times
Quote:
Reminds me a lot of some people I know from South Jersey or DelCo but with a little twang to some words like "I" and "for".
I've noticed that a lot of old-time Marylanders sound like us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia