Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:53 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,407 times

Advertisements

So, some advice about moving back to the Philly area would be welcome. I just accepted a job in center city, but I definitely do not want to live in the city. Before I moved to NJ, I previously lived in Bryn Mawr and in Media, and am considering those areas, but while living there I worked in Haverford, so I didn't have to consider the commute as much.

I'd prefer to be near a train line, but I don't plan on taking public transportation most days (trains make me sick). I've got a dog, so I'd rather a house or a twin rather than an apartment. I'm just trying to get a feel for the other suburbs of Philly and general commuting times (and areas where I can avoid the Schuylkill Expressway if at all possible ). Thanks in advance.

When are you moving? November
Where are you coming from? Central NJ
Why are you moving? New job
Where will you be working? Rittenhouse square area/center city
Have you been here yet? Yes

Will you buy or rent? Rent for a year
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? n/a
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Preferably house, twin or townhouse with private yard okay too
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? n/a

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? n/a
Do you have pets? One dog
Do you want or need a yard? Absolutely
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm

What do you want to be closest to?
Work well, considering I'm looking at suburbs and working in Center City, I guess not!
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) yes
Nightlife
Train or subway stations yes

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? As long as it's a safe and clean neighborhood, I don't care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Maybe Cherry Hill NJ a decent drive commute and some decent rental options. Maybe also consider areas around hoddonfield NJ. PA has ome others but given one year and the drive commute I think you should at least consider CH NJ

Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Maybe Cherry Hill NJ a decent drive commute and some decent rental options. Maybe also consider areas around hoddonfield NJ. PA has ome others but given one year and the drive commute I think you should at least consider CH NJ
Thanks - but what's traffic on the bridges like? I have this (possibly erroneous) sense that having to deal with one of the bridges into PA would be a huge pain.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
Thanks - but what's traffic on the bridges like? I have this (possibly erroneous) sense that having to deal with one of the bridges into PA would be a huge pain.

Not awful, would think 25-30 minutes at rush.

There is S Jersey suburbs of Philly forum which may be more specific or some others on here may have a better sense. Also although you dont like the train PATCO (which runs through this part Jeresy) takes you right to Rittenhouse Sq

Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 AM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
You might want to look into somewhere like Blue Bell or Plymouth Meeting, where you can live in a nice area, then pick up the Norristown Hi Speed Line to get to the city. Or one of the burbs along the PATCO.

Driving into Center City gets real old real fast, and parking is expensive. I did it for 3 years, but I was sick of it after the first month.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
You might want to look into somewhere like Blue Bell or Plymouth Meeting, where you can live in a nice area, then pick up the Norristown Hi Speed Line to get to the city. Or one of the burbs along the PATCO.

Driving into Center City gets real old real fast, and parking is expensive. I did it for 3 years, but I was sick of it after the first month.
Thanks - I do suspect I'm going to really dislike driving and paying for parking in CC, but unfortunately, I get really miserably sick on trains and can only use them as a last resort during inclement weather and so forth.

I'm hoping I can do slightly "off-hour" commuting. When does morning traffic die down anyway?

I guess another question would be: are there areas of the city that are more like a suburb with a standalone house and yard (other than Manayunk/Roxborough area)?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:43 AM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
As you probably already know, Narberth, Ardmore, Haverford, and Bryn Mawr have the benefit of being relatively calm, but without the boredom and blandness that often come with suburban life. Other railroad suburbs that fit this description and offer a relatively easy commute into Center City West include Swarthmore and Media on the Media/Elwyn Line and Jenkintown-Wyncote/Glenside on the Doylestown Line, as would Collingswood, Westmont (Haddon Township), and Haddonfield on the Patco High Speed Line.

Since you don't have children (and public school quality is thereby not an issue) I would also consider Mt. Airy or Chestnut Hill for a "suburbs-in-the-city" feel.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 AM

Chestnut Hill is another option. Probably ~30 minutes commute if you use Lincoln to Kelly. Though if motion sickness is an issue this is a very windy route. Also a train alternative and you are already paying city wage tax.

The main line is another option for that about 30 minute drive. But to me CH NJ is more consistent in this regard

Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The main line is another option for that about 30 minute drive. But to me CH NJ is more consistent in this regard
Depends where on the Main Line and where in Cherry Hill. Avoiding Route 30 and 76 during rush hour, coming to Rittenhouse from the Eastern Main Line will typically range from 20 minutes (City Line) to 35 (outskirts of Villanova/Gladwyne/Rosemont). Cherry Hill be more in the 15-30 minute range. You are right that traffic conditions are a bit less variable on the Jersey side of the River.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,426 times
If you look into Collingswood you may find everything you are looking for. It has a great "village" feel, cool and diverse vibe (LGBT component), safe and clean. The commute into Rittenhouse Square is 16 minutes and one block walk. The PATCO runs 24/7 and you would not have parking nor toll issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia