U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 PM

1,375 posts, read 890,472 times

Advertisements

I'm a little confused on how parking works in philadelphia especially considering that the parking garages have no problem charging so much. Are there cheap or even free places to park in philadelphia? I'd like to visit downtown more often but the price of parking makes it become a choice of only dire necessity etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:01 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,098 times
Forget parking. Take Septa.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:52 PM

10,388 posts, read 16,668,174 times
This site may help - Philadelphia Parking Search Engine - Find Daily & Monthly Parking I agree about SEPTA though, a one day Independence Pass is reasonably priced and includes not only the train to take you into the city but any public transportation once you get there. This includes the Phlash bus which runs Fri - Sunday. SEPTA | One-Day Individual & Family Independence Pass

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM

The one day pass says it is $11 and for two people it would still be cheaper to pay for parking...

Thanks for the daily and monthly parking link!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 PM

25,391 posts, read 31,712,866 times
"Cheap" and "parking" is a contradiction in terms in Center City.

Free parking ... Well, that's just not done.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:05 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,635,883 times
Many people park in areas where parking is free and then just jump on a bus that will bring them into Center City. This includes shopping centers with big free lots. Just for example you could park all day in one of the supermarket lots at the west end of Oregon Ave (Acme, Shoprite etc) and for the price of a token ride the 17 bus to and through CC.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,745 times
I just moved back to the city, Rittenhouse area, and am brining my car this time. I am in the process of getting my tags changed to PA so I can get a permit, but until then, I am going to take my chances on the street for a few days. Are there any areas that are less frequented by the parking Nazi's or should I expect a ticket everyday? I will park in the garages as some are pretty cheap $5-9 if you are in after 5 and out by 8 am. I am hoping it is fairly easy to get a parking permit. I have downloaded application and have lease, etc.

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:53 PM

I've now found that there are streets you can park for free but I don't think they are in areas close to center city. You might have to park in one of these "remote" locations and take public transportation to your car.

To my understanding the permit is needed to park in areas that have meters. Maybe a good area would be down south broad street in the center of the road? I'm not an expert heh.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:04 PM

18 posts, read 12,110 times
So, if there is no meter, is it assumed that street parking is first come first serve? I have no problem parking beyond South St and walking to my car.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,635,883 times
There is no free parking in Center City, permit or not. If there is a meter you have to pay..... permit or not. Streets further away may have free parking with no meter but they have a time limit. 2 to 4 hours is typical. That's where a permit will allow you to park longer than the stated limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia