Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I move
Chicago (are they friend and approachable?) 1 10.00%
Dallas area ( What is there?) 5 50.00%
Nashville, TN 4 40.00%
New Orleans, LA 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,213 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all I have been in center city Philadelphia for about a year. I commute to Wilmington, DE and I don't know if I fit in here. While I really like Philly. I don't like the commute. Also, people here aren't as friendly. I am very social. i'd like walk around saying good morning to people. If iI went to sit at a bar i'd expect a men would come and start a conversation with me. In Charlotte, All the men let the ladies on and off the elevators first. It's not just for car doors. But In Philly, it seems everyone sticks to there own friends and the single men seem perfectly happy drinking and not approaching women. Can any one recommend a place in town that's better suited to me? Where I can meet warm, approachable, singles?

I'm about 31 and single. I do well for myself I work for the nation's top bank.

Do i need to leave Philadelphia? Where should I go? I love walkable cities and the myriad of public events, concerts etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 11:45 PM

932 posts, read 1,937,369 times
Yeah.... I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in Philly or Chicago. The commute from Philly to Wilmington sucks pretty bad, but it's not nearly as bad as the commute from Wilmington to Philly.

I appreciate that it's difficult to find someone to be with. I'm 26, in management, do well for myself and own my own home, but finding a decent woman is nearly impossible, but I don't really see how you can blame the city for that. I'd also say you're probably not going to find very nice people sitting around in bars. Don't get me wrong, I love bars, but they're about the last place someone like me would go to find anything but a lay.

Large northern cities can be very polarizing. The Northeast Corridor and Chicagoland are very much areas where you either love the rough and tumble, direct attitude or you hate it. Sounds like you hate it.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,213 times
Well- I just gave some examples at a bar. It also could be said of my kickball team. Any young professional pockets of this area that are more like a friendly community?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:08 AM

932 posts, read 1,937,369 times
You could try NoLibs, maybe or Broad Street between City Hall and Lombard. Those areas are generally attracting the young professionals into town. Where are you living now? And where are you from originally?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:52 AM

2,933 posts, read 4,100,758 times
Get out of Center City.

I don't normally say "hi" to any stranger walking past on the street but I always greet my neighbors and even people I don't know who I see sitting on their steps are always approachable - i mean, people won't always say hello but if you do there's nothing strange about it and people are almost always friendly in return.

I think you get out of it what you put into it.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:43 PM

266 posts, read 409,031 times
Yeah i would get out of Center City, find a place with more of a neighborhood feel to it like fairmount, northern liberties or certain pockets of south philly. Or you could just move to Wilmington into a place like trolley square and get rid of the commute. Center City is probably more of a business district then it is a neighborhood.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:55 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,639,130 times
I would first try to eliminate your commute... is it possible for you to find a job in Philly or a closer suburb?

If this is not possible, try moving somewhere closer to Wilmington. You could try the neighborhoods in South Philly down around the Sports Complex like Packer Park or Marconi Plaza... very nice neighborhoods and close to I-95/I-76.

You could also try somewhere like Media, PA.

I disagree with the others that a bar is not a good place to meet someone... sure it is! There are other places to meet people as well though. Don't expect people to come up and talk to you in Center City, but if you are friendly and find a way to talk to a girl that isn't creepy, it may just work. Try getting together with people you work with or live in the same building/complex with.

If you are looking for walkability, you won't find much of that in Dallas or Nashville.. they are practically the complete polar opposite from the other cities you listed.

Don't expect people to come up and talk to you! Get out there and talk to people. Initiate the conversation.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:11 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,149,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j285f View Post
Hi y'all I have been in center city Philadelphia for about a year. I commute to Wilmington, DE and I don't know if I fit in here. While I really like Philly. I don't like the commute. Also, people here aren't as friendly. I am very social. i'd like walk around saying good morning to people. If iI went to sit at a bar i'd expect a men would come and start a conversation with me. In Charlotte, All the men let the ladies on and off the elevators first. It's not just for car doors. But In Philly, it seems everyone sticks to there own friends and the single men seem perfectly happy drinking and not approaching women. Can any one recommend a place in town that's better suited to me? Where I can meet warm, approachable, singles?

I'm about 31 and single. I do well for myself I work for the nation's top bank.

Do i need to leave Philadelphia? Where should I go? I love walkable cities and the myriad of public events, concerts etc.
Is it the commute or lack of social life?

A year is not very long to get settled, IMO. Philly is a very large place and I'd imagine it has something for everyone. Are you sure you're giving it 100% effort? The best thing to do is develop interests in hobbies or volunteer. Those are to excellent places to start. They've always served me well.

Heck, use this forum and have a CD Philly meetup event. Maybe 10 or so people would show up but that would be cool. Or create a group for new comers to Philly.

As far as those other cities, you'll more than likely experience the same issues. Be the change that you want to see.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:40 PM

14 posts, read 18,746 times
Chicago is not the place to be for that kind of hospitality. 3 million people who will never travel to the opposite side (I.e north sider going to south side) of their own city. As long as your willing to stay in your own pocket, and find people through your existing social network, you'll be ok. My parents grew up in Chicago but now love Charlotte.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,754,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Get out of Center City..........
Since moving to the suburbs I have found people to be much more friendly. It isn't something
I was looking for and I don't care one way or the other but it is something that I noticed right away.
If a stranger says hello in the city my 1st reaction is what does he want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia