U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:30 PM

7 posts, read 26,432 times
Default Relocating from the Midwest

I'm a 25 year old male that has recently accepted a sales job that will be based in the Philly area. I've never been to the area (will be flying in, in two weeks to scope the landscape) and would just like a breakdown of the "good" and "bad" suburbs based upon the following criteria listed in order of importance 1.) safety 2.) friendliness of people 3.) restaurants. Also, my 27 year-old girlfriend will eventually be joining me as well once she finds a job of her own. Since my job will require me to travel throughout the week I would prefer someplace that is safe for a female living by herself.

I guess, basically, I'm looking for a nice, quiet, suburb for a young couple that will be renting for at least 1-2 years. Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 12:55 PM

1,853 posts, read 4,599,250 times
Why do you want the suburbs when there is so much more to do in center city for people your age? And it is safe (using common sense, etc.). That being said, if you do want the suburbs, where is your job located? This is a spread out area and knowing that would help. And what are you able to pay in rent?

Old 10-08-2007, 01:07 PM

I appreciate the extemely fast response...

I guess I should have been a little more descriptive in my original inquiry. Basically, my job will consist of traveling 4 days a week throughout the region (New York, NJ, MA, etc.). I would be willing to pay up to $1100 a month in rent; I assume that will not be an issue from everything that I've read here.

Also, moving from the Midwest, it just seems like the suburbs would be the obvious choice for us. However, having never been to the area I am open to all suggestions. I've heard that West Chester and Nether Providence (sp??) are nice; do you have any input on these regions?

I realize that since I'm not working in a specific area it makes it tough to give recommendations but I think that is part of the problem on my part... I'm just trying to narrow my search a bit.

Thanks again,

Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM

1,407 posts, read 2,272,080 times
Conshohocken is full of young people like yourself, and near several interstates (76, 276, 476) with easy access to Center City Philadelphia, and relatively easy access to I95 and also the airport. Plenty of apartments in your range.

You might want to check out Ardmore and Media as well.

Another good area is King of Prussia. It has plenty of young people, but there's no real "town" - it's pure suburban sprawl. But, it's close to the highways, and you have the KOP Plaza and Court, which together make up the 2nd largest mall in the US (behind the Mall of America). Another location with plenty of apartments in your range.

West Chester is great for young people as well, but it's much further out (about 30 miles or so, via highways, from Center City).

You will find that with most of the suburbs, safety is not an issue. That being said, you wouldn't leave something valuable in your car for anyone who walks by to see, but overall you'll be fine.

If you are interested in living in the city, check out Center City and Manayunk.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:45 PM

1,853 posts, read 4,599,250 times
Narberth would be another good choice as would West Mt. Airy (which is within the city). If your job is located outside of the city, you may want to avoid living in the city because you would have to pay the city wage tax. Another suggestion would be living in New Jersey. Collingswood would be a good choice as would Moorestown and Mt. Laurel. From there you would have very easy access to center city (and all of its restaurants, and cultural attractions.)

Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 PM

I hate to be general but how safe is West Chester? I've noticed that the crime rate index listed on this site has it listed above average. Is this something to be weary of?

Old 10-08-2007, 04:51 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,811,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayLikeAChampion2day View Post
I hate to be general but how safe is West Chester? I've noticed that the crime rate index listed on this site has it listed above average. Is this something to be weary of?
You always have to kind of be skeptical crime statistics, because they can sometimes be misleading, being that they don't give any justice to how that crime is spread across a given town or city. Based on personal experience of living there for summer jobs, West Chester is a very safe community. There are some visably "rougher" areas of town, but there's NOTHING equivalent to an inner-city ghetto. As a college town that is booming with awesome restaurants and bars -- and as a home to a nice mixture of students, young professionals, and young families, I'd highly recommend it.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:35 PM

3,898 posts, read 8,057,941 times
My list

1.West Chester-West Goshen-Malvern
2.KIng of Prussia- Conshohocken
3.Plymouth Meeting-Lafayette HIll-Skippack
4.Doylestown
5.Media

Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 PM

2,240 posts, read 6,644,215 times
West CHester is safe...Did you read about CHESTER? Chester is NOT SAFE. West Chester is nice.
COnsider Exton, Chester Springs...Where I used to live in East Coventry you can rent a very nice townhome for the price you are willing to pay and it is safe as well.
Good luck!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Another question...

I appreciate all of the replies up to this point. However, I'm also curious as to how strong the job market is in the Philly area. As I stated before, my girlfriend will be joining me but not until she has found a job herself. She currently works in Entry-level Marketing for a fortune 100 commercial security company. I've read reports that say the job market in most of Penn is sluggish. Is there any truth to this?

Also, is there another outlet in which she can look for jobs rather than Careerbuilder.com or Monster.com? I have seen websites in my current town that aren't as "mainstream" but have been very helpful in job searches in the past. Sorry for all of the questions, this is obviously a decision that I'm struggling mightily with.

Thanks again...

Last edited by PlayLikeAChampion2day; 10-11-2007 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia