Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,589 times

Advertisements

No problem. Good luck with your search!
Dr. Mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 09:55 PM

7 posts, read 7,358 times
J-villeJudy is back! I moved from Fla to this area the end of April, ended up in the Downingtown area and really like it here. I had forgotten about this forum until they sent me a reminder, nice to be back. Summer here was hot, now I am bracing for the winter, my first in the north. Will I freeze? What's the secret to keeping warm and cozy in a cold climate?
JAS

Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 PM

429 posts, read 719,522 times
Default Layer

Hi there, welcome back!

Generally, our winters are not that bad, but, of course, everything is relative - and you're coming from Florida. (My Hollywood, Florida cousins would break out quilted winter coats when it got into the 50's and I was just amazed they thought THAT was cold.)

First, don't freak out and get a winter wardrobe right off. Just layer. Blouse, sweater, corduroy jacket. Then add a cute hat and gloves and maybe a knitted scarf to hang around the jacket. When you are warm, remove a layer, when you chill: button up. This'll take you into November or maybe December. Add a lined raincoat and you're set even better. As you're no doubt experiencing the last few days it can be sunny & warm for a few days, then get rainy & rather chilly in short order, then warm again. Layers are the answer.

The heavy winter coat you'll need from say: Christmas to St. Patrick's Day. You may not even see more than a couple of inches of snow. Some years are like that. Some years you'll have a super duper snowstorm that dumps over a foot of snow. The weather is interesting - not awful, but changeable.

The first snow of the year is SO lovely. I hope you'll enjoy it. Go out and listen to the subtle wooosh as the tiny flakes fall, then go in and make a cup of cocoa.

Welcome to the Philadelphia area!

Old 09-14-2013, 07:30 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-villeJudy View Post
Summer here was hot, now I am bracing for the winter, my first in the north. Will I freeze? What's the secret to keeping warm and cozy in a cold climate?
JAS
Glad you found a place to land. Downingtown seems like a nice place.

As for winters ... The typical winter day around here is 40 degrees and drizzling. We don't get a ton of snow as a rule, but sometimes the snowfalls can be very heavy. It's also windy.

The secret to warm and cozy is layers of polar fleece, the outer layer of which should be wind and water resistant. Also, invest in a pair of water resistant, ankle-height boots. Gloves, hat and maybe a scarf are necessary as well.

Take up snowshoeing, or just enjoy walking in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia