Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 PM

7 posts, read 7,353 times

Advertisements

What an awesome site, just discovered it! I'm a Florida girl (grandmother actually) moving to Philly in January to be near my son and family who live in Malvern. From what I've read Malvern is more for families; however my goal is to be witin 20-30 minutes of my family yet in a nice area that's affordable. I enjoy many things, getting out and about, biking, great restaurants and night spots....yes...Grannies enjoy these things too!

My budget is low at around $900 per month; prefer 2 BR's with covered parking....am I dreaming? Naturally a 1 BR may have to work since the prices I've seen online are allot more expensive than in my area of Florida. I believe in Miracles......do you? I have a partner who lives with me, my crazy 15 lb Chocolate Chihuahua named "Charlie Brown" who follows me everywhere. Why do so many rentals accept cats but not dogs? It's amazing the apartments that say "cats only", am I missing the logic here?

All ideas for a nice area close to Malvern that is dog friendly would be great. I am open to apartments, duplexes, townhouses, a quaint little cottage or a neat garage apartment over a 3-5 car garage in a hi-end area, in fact one idea was to find an older couple or single one that needs assistance with errands, meals, trips to the Doctor etc. with a cool garage apartment for rent. Since I work from home and make my own hours this would be ideal.

Appreciate everyone reading about my quest in Philly...

JAS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 10:23 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
What do you call a snow bird that migrates to Philadelphia for the winter??

Jacksonville's cost of living is quite a bit cheaper than SEPA's COL. I'm not too terribly up to speed on cost-effective areas around Malvern. Perhaps Paoli or Germantown?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:41 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Hmmm, $900 for a 2 BR, especially with a garage, seems kind of low. And "covered parking" usually means garages -- carports are not common here as they are in FL. Most apartment complexes have outside parking. I don't know how common "garage apartments" are either -- I think those would be found more often in the city. Maybe something like Conshohocken would work for you? Malvern and environs will be expensive, especially anything in the "Main Line" towns.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
I'll bet you'd enjoy the downtown area of West Chester. It's only about 10- 15 minutes from Malvern, very walkable, LOTS of nice restaurants, shops and community events. The only problem could be your $900 budget. Still, it's worth checking out:

West Chester | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

Downtown West Chester PA - The Perfect Town, Downtown West Chester Pennsylvania and West Chester BID

Articles | West Chester Dish

Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM

Thank you LibraGirl, I actually looked in that area today. Nice to meet another Libra.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM

Appreciate the information, I actually found several today in Elkins Park for $900 + $85 for the garage, not bad actually. It's 43 minutes from Malvern a little further than I wanted but a possibility.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Elkins Park is a nice area... Take a look at Broomall, Egdemont.. Lot closer to Malvern

Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,459 times
Have you looked into Phoenixville? The downtown area has nice shops and restaurants and it isn't that far from Malvern.

Here are some rental possibilities in your price range:

375 Church St - Apt 2, Phoenixville, PA 19460

1 bedroom Large fenced in yard

2 br - Den Apartment Home - Gay Street School House

Carriage House Apartment

Old 10-22-2012, 11:55 PM

Thank you Mr. Mom, I'll take a look at the suggestions- in fact I had been looking in this same area but not on Craigs list. In Jacksonville CL is not the most dependable or safest place to search for anything, I assume its better in Philly?
JAS

Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 AM

Mr. Mom

I adore the old schoolhouse and the Victorian House, the Carriage House post has been deleted, thank you so much....these were awesome!

JAS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia