Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Whom are you foolin'? Washington DC is a whole lot more dynamic and cosmopolitan than Philly.

If people want to go to Philly, go Germantown, South Philly and the King of Prussia. Northeast is a cool , quiet neighborhood of Philly. Center City is overrated and mainly good for weekdays with a few exceptions like Rittenhouse and a few blocks of Chestnut st. Stick to the waterfront and South st.
As a former Philly resident who currently lives in the DC area, I believe that despite how Washington attracts an international population, there can be a certain monotonous, button-downed vibe here compared to more variety and creativity in Philly. DC has done better with revitalizing its neighborhoods to offer more places to go but to be fair, DC is about 1/4 of the size of Philly.

Your inclusion of Germantown and not Chestnut Hill, Manayunk or even Mt. Airy is interesting. The Northeast IMO is a concrete suburb that would not attract most younger professionals and is too far from Center City where the majority of nightlife and culture can be found.

If the OP loves or despises Virginia's Tysons Corner, he will find King of Prussia to be a slightly scaled-down version of it.

The waterfront is still woefully underdeveloped and South Street has seen better days. If this forum is any indication, most people enjoy the idea of having such a variety of things to do in Center City's two square miles not to mention the neighborhoods adjacent to it on all sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:42 PM

6 posts, read 6,418 times
Did you make any decisions? I am kind of in a similar situation.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
As a former Philly resident who currently lives in the DC area, I believe that despite how Washington attracts an international population, there can be a certain monotonous, button-downed vibe here compared to more variety and creativity in Philly. DC has done better with revitalizing its neighborhoods to offer more places to go but to be fair, DC is about 1/4 of the size of Philly.

Your inclusion of Germantown and not Chestnut Hill, Manayunk or even Mt. Airy is interesting. The Northeast IMO is a concrete suburb that would not attract most younger professionals and is too far from Center City where the majority of nightlife and culture can be found.

If the OP loves or despises Virginia's Tysons Corner, he will find King of Prussia to be a slightly scaled-down version of it.

The waterfront is still woefully underdeveloped and South Street has seen better days. If this forum is any indication, most people enjoy the idea of having such a variety of things to do in Center City's two square miles not to mention the neighborhoods adjacent to it on all sides.
But I think a lot of people move to washington Dc like yourself, because it is more attractive for young professionals.

Washington dc is able to avoid the mass poverty that surrounds philadelphia due to the presence of the federal government. and the international population makes things very interesting in DC.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:11 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Whom are you foolin'? Washington DC is a whole lot more dynamic and cosmopolitan than Philly.

If people want to go to Philly, go Germantown, South Philly and the King of Prussia. Northeast is a cool , quiet neighborhood of Philly. Center City is overrated and mainly good for weekdays with a few exceptions like Rittenhouse and a few blocks of Chestnut st. Stick to the waterfront and South st.
Moderator Cut (Y)ou really need to stop recommending people visit Germantown. I don't know if you're high or your perception of the places is out-of-date by decades, but it's a very rough neighborhood that has very little to offer a tourist. Nearby Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy are another story, as are Manayunk and Roxborough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
But I think a lot of people move to washington Dc like yourself, because it is more attractive for young professionals.

Washington dc is able to avoid the mass poverty that surrounds philadelphia due to the presence of the federal government. and the international population makes things very interesting in DC.
One the other hand, Washington is the most soulless place on Earth. Don't get me wrong, I always enjoy visiting, but I'd imagine the generic East Coast vibe becomes grating after a while. The amenities are great, but it lacks any personality.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-07-2012 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: 1. DM a Moderator with your concerns. 2. profanity

Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Theres that word again! "souless" lol.. It it ain't an row home in Philly, its "souless" !!!! LOL

Take it from someone who lived in both. "souless" is in your mind.. A home is what you make it.. Happiness is within you..

Last edited by frankgn87; 11-08-2012 at 06:43 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
After stumbling across some info, I feel the need to correct myself. Philadelphia proper is about 142 square miles while Washington DC is about 68 square miles. So the latter is about half the size of rather than one-fourth (or one-fifth) as I've claimed here and in previous threads. My basic point still remains that Philadelphia's size makes its rate of improvement/gentrification more of a challenge than in DC.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Theres that word again! "souless" lol.. It it ain't an row home in Philly, its "souless" !!!! LOL

Take it from someone who lived in both. "souless" is in your mind.. A home is what you make it.. Happiness is within you..
Did you even read the sentence I posted? This isn't an issue of suburbs vs. city. If you've been to Washington, you've probably gotten the sense that as a result of its government-centric economy (which makes it uniquely transient), The DC area never really acquired a real culture of its own. Washington is certainly nice and has a lot to offer, but it's the one large Mid-Atlantic city that has zero personality. I'm not saying a person deciding between Philly and D.C. should base their decision on that factor alone, but it's still important to point out.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:46 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
I realize you did not call the Philly burbs 'souless" but you did it to another location. Its just not right. What is 'soul" anyway? Any area or home is what you make it. If you have great memories in it, it has a soul.. ya know? Call it what it is(Washington DC) but souless is not a word that should be used to describe an area heaven.. Thats all

Old 11-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I realize you did not call the Philly burbs 'souless" but you did it to another location. Its just not right. What is 'soul" anyway? Any area or home is what you make it. If you have great memories in it, it has a soul.. ya know? Call it what it is(Washington DC) but souless is not a word that should be used to describe an area heaven.. Thats all
I called certain Philly suburbs soulless, and when I say soulless, I refer to a combination of housing stock, amenities, walkability, and history--not the people who live there or the memories they've created. I can't speak for others, but I don't leverage that attitude as any kind of moral judgment--those kinds of suburbs exist for a good reason (and unlike some others) I neither think the people who live there are morally deficient, nor do I wish ill on their homes and pray for the post-war pre-fab suburbs to become ghettoes as urban elitists predict. It's an opinion, just as you have an opinion that the city of Philadelphia is overwhelmingly crime-ridden and dirty.

Also, I didn't see this before, but while Philadelphia's city proper is certainly still more blighted than D.C.'s overall, "mass poverty" definitely does NOT "surround" our city, Aimewutie. In fact, I would say our inner ring suburbs are overall in much better shape than yours.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 11-08-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
I realize you did not call the Philly burbs 'souless" but you did it to another location. Its just not right.
Hey, all I'm saying is I've never heard of any genre of music called DC Soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia