U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 PM

6,522 posts, read 4,973,236 times

Advertisements

Good Article on the Growth and renwed "feel" of Philadelphia

You Can Feel The Difference | Hidden City Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 PM

630 posts, read 430,574 times
It's encouraging, and I agree. It's still not a world class city that's same par with NY, SF, Chi, LA, Boston, Miami and New Orleans. It's work in progress. The city is recovering nicely, but again, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 PM

6,522 posts, read 4,973,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
It's encouraging, and I agree. It's still not a world class city that's same par with NY, SF, Chi, LA, Boston, Miami and New Orleans. It's work in progress. The city is recovering nicely, but again, Rome wasn't built in a day.
I agree that Philadelphia is not a world class city... it is an American City filled with American history. Just so you know, the only American cities that can be considered world class are New York, Los Angeles and CHicago....

I don't think that anyone would claim that Philadelphia is as good of a city as either three of these. Although, Philadelphia does have a nicer Downtown and Skyline than LA

However, Philadelphia is certainly on the same level, or close to Boston and San Francisco.

Philadelphia kicks the living crap out of Miami and New Orleans... lets be real now.

Philadelphia is not world class.. it is American. It is arguably the most American city in the country. With that said, it is certainly getting better day by day and certainly has the potential and the bones to be world class again one day.

(Yes, Philadelphia was once a world class city along with Detroit, Baltimore and St. Louis.)

Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 PM

388 posts, read 307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Just wanted to throw in that I lived in Philly most of my life minus time here and there. Most recently my fiancee and I moved to SF and we both think it's way overhyped and we're planning on moving back. Maybe not world class city but if world class is "pretty from afar but far from pretty" then I'll happily take it.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 191,708 times
New Orleans world class? lol

Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 AM

1,681 posts, read 1,799,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
New Orleans world class? lol
I like New Orleans, but that city is far from being considered "world class" or even "worldy".

Anyways for all intents and purposes Philadelphia is on the same level as Boston as far as world prominence is concerned.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,758,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Anyways for all intents and purposes Philadelphia is on the same level as Boston as far as world prominence is concerned.
Unfortunately I don't think so. I feel like Boston always gets the better rep, whether right or wrong. Hopefully this changes soon. Philly is extremely underrated.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:34 PM

933 posts, read 783,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Unfortunately I don't think so. I feel like Boston always gets the better rep, whether right or wrong. Hopefully this changes soon. Philly is extremely underrated.
You're right, and I agree. Philly should be viewed on part with Boston. Unfortunately, years of sliding down hill gave the town a black eye. Fortunately, people are really stepping up their efforts to rejuvenate the city. As long as it's kept up, Philly has a bright future.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 AM

245 posts, read 431,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Just wanted to throw in that I lived in Philly most of my life minus time here and there. Most recently my fiancee and I moved to SF and we both think it's way overhyped and we're planning on moving back. Maybe not world class city but if world class is "pretty from afar but far from pretty" then I'll happily take it.

wow...I always thought of SF being the west coast version of NYC. I've only been there once, though

I don't think there's anything that can be done to put Philadelphia in a class like NYC, PAris, London, Tokyo unless there's some sort of ridiculous economic boom that happens here like in Rio de Janeiro (or like in Philly during the Ed Rendell years...or city was a REAL dump prior to him). But then again Microsoft, Boeing, and Nirvana didn't necessarily make Seattle a world class city in the 90's

Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,162,310 times
We don't necessarily need to be "world-class" in the sense of NYC or London or Tokyo. We can be, and are becoming, a really good "nation-class" city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia