Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:43 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post

A World's Fair would be good, though. We hosted the first American World's Fair, and not a single one since.
An excellent idea! Actually, there was a second one here in Philly after the Great Centennial Exhibition of 1876, fifty years later in South Philly near Packer Park - "The Sesquicentennial Exhibit" ... but it was something of a failure I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,648,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
An excellent idea! Actually, there was a second one here in Philly after the Great Centennial Exhibition of 1876, fifty years later in South Philly near Packer Park - "The Sesquicentennial Exhibit" ... but it was something of a failure I understand.
As was the Bicentennial in 1976. But hey, third time's the charm!

Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,025 times
Here's a crazy idea. How about if our cash-strapped city start aggressively collecting the hundreds of millions of dollars worth of back taxes, fines and fees owed to it before they raise the property taxes of those of us who do pay. Crazy right?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 AM

932 posts, read 1,943,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Here's a crazy idea. How about if our cash-strapped city start aggressively collecting the hundreds of millions of dollars worth of back taxes, fines and fees owed to it before they raise the property taxes of those of us who do pay. Crazy right?
See post #28. The Dems are very big on punishing the right and rewarding the delinquent.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,765,776 times
Well I am not sure whteher this is the right forum to post. (If you guys know the right forum for this let me know).
There are two articles:
1. A Condo development on Chestnut near Gap OUtlet will be completed next year. And retail spaces will be on the ground floor. Allen Edmonds, which is supposedly a high-end shoes for men is negotiating a contract. Never heard of it but hey if it creates more foot traffic in the area, I am all for it!
Chestnut St. retail space increasing - Philadelphia Business Journal

2. Some development coming to Market East! It seems that the Girard Square plan is going forward!
Market St. retail to get street cred - Philadelphia Business Journal

Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,765,776 times
Correction guys: I think I read the article too fast. The development is on Market West LOL! Pardon my reading comprehension as I am finishing my quarterly report at work.

On the other hand, nosy me find out that Allen Edmonds indeed had started a recruiting process:
http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.as...5&WT.mc_n=FDJD
Let's hope this is for the opening of the store in Chestnut!!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Well I am not sure whteher this is the right forum to post. (If you guys know the right forum for this let me know).
There are two articles:
1. A Condo development on Chestnut near Gap OUtlet will be completed next year. And retail spaces will be on the ground floor. Allen Edmonds, which is supposedly a high-end shoes for men is negotiating a contract. Never heard of it but hey if it creates more foot traffic in the area, I am all for it!

2. Some development coming to Market East! It seems that the Girard Square plan is going forward!
Thanks - there is another thread that has many developments in here

Philadelphia 2035

Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,685,355 times
Quote:
There are two articles:

Quote:
Correction guys: I think I read the article too fast. The development is on Market West LOL! Pardon my reading comprehension as I am finishing my quarterly report at work.

On the other hand, nosy me find out that Allen Edmonds indeed had started a recruiting process:
Retail Assistant Store Manager - Philadelphia Job in Philadelphia 19103, Pennsylvania US
Let's hope this is for the opening of the store in Chestnut!!

I made a Retail thread.

Retail coming to Philadelphia

Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I wish the R7 and R8 Chestnut Hill East/West lines would convert into quasi-subway lines. Fence the tracks and stations, build high platforms, install token machines (with electronic swipe in the future) and have the trains run more often. They are the only regional rail lines that stay completely within the city limits and would connect the NW to CC much better.
SEPTA doubled the frequency on the R8 a few years ago and the ridership never materialized so they gave up. That's something you need to do for years to see real gains (and SEPTA's fare structure is part of the problem) because it takes a long time for people to change their habits.

The much larger problem in justifying the expense of running trains every 15 minutes or less to Chestnut Hill - especially on the R8 - is that the density is just not there to support it. Sure, a few of those stations have some large high rises or sprawling apartment complexes but once all of these people get to work in the morning they don't need a train again until they're ready to go home. In order for there to be solid ridership to support frequent service there needs to be as much a reason for people in Center City to go up to Chestnut Hill as vice-versa. Until there are more jobs and more shopping within walking distance of those RR stops it's just not going to happen . . . and i fully support changing zoning around all rail/subway/trolley stops to allow for appropriate development, ie, a subway stop can support very dense development. A trolley stop, not so much.

If there's any area in that part of the city that could support rapid transit it's Stenton Ave (BSL spur). It doesn't have a lot of jobs but it has the potential for it, it's one of the denser parts of the city and it already has high transit ridership.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
SEPTA doubled the frequency on the R8 a few years ago and the ridership never materialized so they gave up. That's something you need to do for years to see real gains (and SEPTA's fare structure is part of the problem) because it takes a long time for people to change their habits.

The much larger problem in justifying the expense of running trains every 15 minutes or less to Chestnut Hill - especially on the R8 - is that the density is just not there to support it. Sure, a few of those stations have some large high rises or sprawling apartment complexes but once all of these people get to work in the morning they don't need a train again until they're ready to go home. In order for there to be solid ridership to support frequent service there needs to be as much a reason for people in Center City to go up to Chestnut Hill as vice-versa. Until there are more jobs and more shopping within walking distance of those RR stops it's just not going to happen . . . and i fully support changing zoning around all rail/subway/trolley stops to allow for appropriate development, ie, a subway stop can support very dense development. A trolley stop, not so much.

If there's any area in that part of the city that could support rapid transit it's Stenton Ave (BSL spur). It doesn't have a lot of jobs but it has the potential for it, it's one of the denser parts of the city and it already has high transit ridership.
Interesting, I didn't know they tried to run more frequently before but like you said the fare would need to be restructured to allow for tokens or $2. I agree the R7/R8 run straight thru the heavily residential sections in Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill, but it is somewhat advantageous that they are between the two main thoroughfares on each side-Stenton and Germantown on the East-Germantown and Greene/Wayne/Lincoln on the west. There would definitely need to be TOD around the stations, but there is room for that in the NW.

The R6 may actually be the best rail line to turn into a subway line, as Manayunk should be much more frequently served with later times, due to the student population and the neighborhood's own attractions and nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia