Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 03:07 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Walnut Street Assessment

1400 Block - 4 vacant retail spots where Ralph Lauren, Armani Exchange, Kenneth Cole and Lacoste were.
1500 Block - 2 vacant retail spots where Puma and the new spot at 1527 Walnut (The Beacon) development. Aesop is now open in the old Art of Shaving spot.
1600 Block - 3 vacant retail spots where American Apparel, Conestoga Bank and Capitol One Cafe were. Capitol One Cafe moved across the street.
1700 Block - 2 vacant retail spots where Children's Boutique and Pearl Vision were. Children's Boutique moved to Chestnut Street, and Pearl Vision moved to 16th Street.
1800 Block - 0 vacant spots

^^11 total vacant spots is not bad if you ask me. I think stores that would do very well in Center City, that are not currently present, but are present in KOP are: Abercrombie & Fitch, Against All Odds, Altar'd State, Bailey Banks & Biddle, Bath & Body Works, Bloomingdale's, Brighton, Brookstone, Burberry, Burton, Bulgari, Cartier, Carolina Herrera, Clarins, Clarks, Coach, COS, Crate & Barrel, David Yurman, Diane Von Furstenberg, DSW, Ecco, Eddie Bauer, Fossil, Francesca's, Gucci, Henri Bendel, Hollister, Hot Topic, Hugo Boss, J.Jill, Johnston & Murphy, Joie, Journeys, Lego Store, Levi's, Lids, Longchamp, Lord & Taylor, Louis Vuitton, MAC, Marc Cain, Marmi, MCM, Microsoft Store, Nordstrom, Oakley, Oliver Peoples, Omega, PacSun, Philipp Plein, Pottery Barn, Primark, Restoration Hardware, Robert Graham, Shinola, Superdry, Swatch, TAG Heuer, Ted Baker, The Container Store, The Walking Company, Tommy Bahama, Tory Burch, Tourneau, UGG, Vineyard Vines, White House Black Market, Wolford, Zumiez.

Some of these are absolute NO BRAINERS. Ted Baker and Hugo Boss for instance would do extremely well on Walnut. Between Walnut, Chestnut and Market East, I really think we can get this Center City retail situation figured out. There really is no reason a lot of these stores shouldn't be here. I really think Center City just needs better Commercial Retail Brokers.

I'll do an assessment of Chestnut Street when I get a chance.
Are you aware that the Bailey Banks & Biddle Bldg was on the se corner of 16th and Chestnut where H&M is today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Same. I would frequent Ted Baker, Hugo Boss and Nordstrom. Right now the only place for work clothes/suits I really go in Center City is Suit Supply.

My girl would frequent Tory Burch, Longchamp and Nordstrom.

We have also made purchases at Burberry, Hermes, David Yurman and Louis Vuitton in KOP simply because they do not exist in Center City. Those purchases would've been made in Center City were they here since we live at 18th and Walnut. A lot easier to walk down Walnut Street than drive to KOP.
Just as an aside since I no longer need work clothes, I, oftentimes, just browse.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:01 PM

13,945 posts, read 8,793,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Are you aware that the Bailey Banks & Biddle Bldg was on the se corner of 16th and Chestnut where H&M is today?
That firm was founded here; Zale Corp. of Dallas owns it now - it's their upscale chain.

Given the names of the back-to-back buildings in the 1200 blocks of Chestnut and Sansom, I wonder whether the store wasn't originally located there.

Also:

Williams-Sonoma now occupies the space that Gucci had in the Shops at the Bellevue.

Bath & Body Works is no longer in CC only because the Gallery closed; its shop on the concourse level there was doing fine. Lids, same thing.

After May Department Stores swallowed Strawbridge's, it installed Lord & Taylor in what was left of Wanamakers' selling floors. When Macy's swallowed May, it removed L&T and installed itself.

MAC sold cosmetics where Swarovski now sells jewelry.

And ISTR The Walking Company was also in the Shops at the Bellevue for a while.

And what's Allen Edmonds, chopped liver?

We might not need to lament the state of Rittenhouse Row all that much.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:52 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
I was thinking that, but wasn't sure if I should say something. It's sad that young people don't think of Bailey Banks & Biddle as being the 1st business on that list that belongs in Center City.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:56 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That firm was founded here; Zale Corp. of Dallas owns it now - it's their upscale chain.

Given the names of the back-to-back buildings in the 1200 blocks of Chestnut and Sansom, I wonder whether the store wasn't originally located there.

Also:

Williams-Sonoma now occupies the space that Gucci had in the Shops at the Bellevue.

Bath & Body Works is no longer in CC only because the Gallery closed; its shop on the concourse level there was doing fine. Lids, same thing.

After May Department Stores swallowed Strawbridge's, it installed Lord & Taylor in what was left of Wanamakers' selling floors. When Macy's swallowed May, it removed L&T and installed itself.

Wasn't J E Caldwell in the 1200 block of Chestnut?

Old 07-07-2017, 06:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,827,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Also:

There's a Bath and Body Works in Liberty Place isn't there?

Also, I'm much happier with Williams Sonoma in the Bellevue than Gucci. Maybe that's just me...

Old 07-07-2017, 07:09 AM

Sandy, sheesh...I KNOW Bailey, Banks and Biddle was founded in Philadelphia.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Wasn't J E Caldwell in the 1200 block of Chestnut?
Not quite. It was Chestnut and Juniper. I still think of it when I go past there. And, also, Jacob Reed Sons in the 1400 block of Chestnut. We at least still have Boyds.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:52 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,185,926 times
Quote:
How people perceive the city and the area nationally and internationally really, really matters in a way it didn't years ago. That should be obvious. Creating that positive vibe is something Nutter became very good at. He's a nerd at heart but he learned about how the public relations face the city projects to the world is vital for our future.

I would go so far as to say one of the reasons you ended up in Philadelphia is because of the forward thinking viewpoint he had which could literally be felt, viscerally, around town.

I would argue that Kenney has no plans, no strategy to what we need here over the next 15-20 years. Nutter helped push through the smoking bans which was just as big, if not bigger, than the soda tax which is already failing.

Nutter made bold predictions about how we could really grow the city population again. The only thing holding us back was ourselves. One of his apparent goals seemed to be to bannish Negadelphia-ism. I don't think Kenney thinks much about that. Sigh.
I don't see Nutter through the same gauzy lens others do. I fail to see how a smoking ban is somehow cutting edge in the 2010s. A soda tax, yes.

I credit Ed Rendell with turning Philly into the city that attracted me to live here; not Michael Nutter. Having a "viewpoint" doesn't matter much if you can't enact it.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:05 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,827,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I don't see Nutter through the same gauzy lens others do. I fail to see how a smoking ban is somehow cutting edge in the 2010s. A soda tax, yes.

I credit Ed Rendell with turning Philly into the city that attracted me to live here; not Michael Nutter. Having a "viewpoint" doesn't matter much if you can't enact it.
I feel the same way, BUT at least Nutter wasn't the same old Philly Gutter Rat Politician like Kenney. Nutter at least lived in the 2010s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia