Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 10:21 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Some have been mentioned but here is a compendium of places in Center City vicinity within walking distance. I pick City Hall as ground zero. [...]

2. City Target. There are two locations: 11th and Chestnut; 19th and Chestnut.
The one in 19th has bigger selection of bed and bath. Second floor.
You left out a location: 20th and Callowhill, in the former Whole Foods store.

This was identified erroneously as a "full-line" Target upthread. It's bigger than the other two small-format Targets, but it's still a small-format Target, with about 22,000 square feet of selling space.

The Snyder Plaza Target, with about 90,000 square feet of space, is the only full-line Target close to Center City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 11:38 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
[quote=asiandudeyo;50947372

Others require Uber or train or bus
Bed, Bath and Beyond -> Wynnewood (train)

For the rest of the stuff, I usually take train to various shopping destinations in the burbs, such as:
Willow Grove Park area: Take Warminster line.
- Nordstrom Rack has nice selection of toss pillows, throws and whatnot.
- Home Goods: Enough said
- Macy's, Bloomingdales and Primark.
PS: The Rack in Center City does not have bed and bath department.[/QUOTE]

Hmm I have always considered Willow Grove as a transit friendly alternative to KOP. But in terms of selection and needs you really highlight the variety and accessibility of Willow Grove as a retail destination. Nice Job!

Old 02-07-2018, 02:19 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
Quote:
Some have been mentioned but here is a compendium of places in Center City vicinity within walking distance. I pick City Hall as ground zero.

1. Macy's 3rd Floor on East Market.
Don't forget to check its Last Act section located behind the department. Cheaper bed sheet and towels!

2. City Target. There are two locations: 11th and Chestnut; 19th and Chestnut.
The one in 19th has bigger selection of bed and bath. Second floor.

3. Rikumo. 12th and Walnut I think?
I am a sucker for this place. Japanese products. Very minimalist.

4. Burlington's and Ross on East Market.

5. Marshall on East Market.
I put Marshall separately because I love their bed sheets. Second floor.

6. Century 21 on East Market.
Ok selection, which is surprising.

7. Of course there is also West Elm, which carry bedsheet and toss pillows. But not exactly a place I will go if u r trying to get the basic.

Others require Uber or train or bus
Normal Target - IKEA - Pier 1 combo on Columbus -> Uber .
Bed, Bath and Beyond -> Wynnewood (train)

For the rest of the stuff, I usually take train to various shopping destinations in the burbs, such as:
Willow Grove Park area: Take Warminster line.
- Nordstrom Rack has nice selection of toss pillows, throws and whatnot.
- Home Goods: Enough said
- Macy's, Bloomingdales and Primark.
PS: The Rack in Center City does not have bed and bath department.
Thank you! This will keep me busy!

Old 02-07-2018, 04:15 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You left out a location: 20th and Callowhill, in the former Whole Foods store.

This was identified erroneously as a "full-line" Target upthread. It's bigger than the other two small-format Targets, but it's still a small-format Target, with about 22,000 square feet of selling space.

The Snyder Plaza Target, with about 90,000 square feet of space, is the only full-line Target close to Center City.
AH forget about that one!
Thanks!

Old 02-07-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Hmm I have always considered Willow Grove as a transit friendly alternative to KOP. But in terms of selection and needs you really highlight the variety and accessibility of Willow Grove as a retail destination. Nice Job!
Thanks!
I feel Willow Grove Park area is more pedestrian friendly than KOP.

With KOP either you have to survive taking the bus from Market East for an hour and something (which can become 2.5 hours during busy hours - mind as well going to Manhattan to shop riding MegaBus (2 hour)) or you have to take the El then Norristown line then walk on areas where cars move so fast.

In order to go to Willow Grove, you just have to take Warminster line. As soon as you get down the train, you can see Super GIANT and Wawa already. Walk another 5 minutes, you see Barnes and Nobles, Home Goods, etc. Then another 2 minutes, you see Dick's, Old Navy, etc. And just across the street is the main attraction: the mall.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:06 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Thanks!
I feel Willow Grove Park area is more pedestrian friendly than KOP.

With KOP either you have to survive taking the bus from Market East for an hour and something (which can become 2.5 hours during busy hours - mind as well going to Manhattan to shop riding MegaBus (2 hour)) or you have to take the El then Norristown line then walk on areas where cars move so fast.

In order to go to Willow Grove, you just have to take Warminster line. As soon as you get down the train, you can see Super GIANT and Wawa already. Walk another 5 minutes, you see Barnes and Nobles, Home Goods, etc. Then another 2 minutes, you see Dick's, Old Navy, etc. And just across the street is the main attraction: the mall.
There's a reason Willow Grove is the way it is. The mall is where a huge amusement park used to be. I went there as a child as did thousands of Philadelphians. The park operated from 1896 to 1975. The current mall will never last 80 years. Lol.

The rt 123 goes directly to KoP from 69th St. You don't need to use the Norristown Line.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:27 AM

I went to check out CB2 yesterday. Great addition to Walnut Street. The store is well laid out.

I have to say the price point is lower than I anticipated. Many items were actually more affordable than West Elm, and dare I say many pieces were very attainable. The home goods/accessories were very affordable, some on par with Target IMO. ($2.50 for a stemless wine glass).

Definitely a welcomed addition to Philadelphia retail, especially with fewer than 15 U.S Locations.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I went to check out CB2 yesterday. Great addition to Walnut Street. The store is well laid out.

I have to say the price point is lower than I anticipated. Many items were actually more affordable than West Elm, and dare I say many pieces were very attainable. The home goods/accessories were very affordable, some on par with Target IMO. ($2.50 for a stemless wine glass).

Definitely a welcomed addition to Philadelphia retail, especially with fewer than 15 U.S Locations.
The pricing for CB2 range from Target price point to West Elm price point.
That being said, I think CB2 Walnut is smart by trying to lure customers by showcasing its cheaper products.

Another topic:
Does anybody hear anything else about retailers going to FOP and the East Market development?

As far as we know:

At FOP, we know officially that we will have:
1. Movie theater
2. H&M
3. Abercombie and Fitch
4. American Eagle
5. Payless Shoe Source
6. Columbia Sportswear
7. Francesca's
8. Hollister
9. Bath and Body Works

At East Market, we know officially we will have:
1. AT&T
2. A gym
3. Iron Hill
4. MOM's (which had opened)
5. Wawa

What else?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:04 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
The pricing for CB2 range from Target price point to West Elm price point.
That being said, I think CB2 Walnut is smart by trying to lure customers by showcasing its cheaper products.

Another topic:
Does anybody hear anything else about retailers going to FOP and the East Market development?

As far as we know:

At FOP, we know officially that we will have:
1. Movie theater
2. H&M
3. Abercombie and Fitch
4. American Eagle
5. Payless Shoe Source
6. Columbia Sportswear
7. Francesca's
8. Hollister
9. Bath and Body Works

At East Market, we know officially we will have:
1. AT&T
2. A gym
3. Iron Hill
4. MOM's (which had opened)
5. Wawa

What else?
Target price point? For what items?

Certainly not the furniture - it's closer to Crate & Barrel's price point.

I'd say the prices range from West Elm to Crate & Barrel. Though I'm going off the websites. I haven't been to the store yet.

There's a Home Sense (sibling of Home Goods, another chain in the TJX stable) going into FOP, I believe. And I think the space that was to have housed Design Beyond Reach in East Market is getting an off-price retailer as well.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Target price point? For what items?

Certainly not the furniture - it's closer to Crate & Barrel's price point.

I'd say the prices range from West Elm to Crate & Barrel. Though I'm going off the websites. I haven't been to the store yet.

There's a Home Sense (sibling of Home Goods, another chain in the TJX stable) going into FOP, I believe. And I think the space that was to have housed Design Beyond Reach in East Market is getting an off-price retailer as well.

The home accessory products are very inexpensive. I was SHOCKED to be honest to see stemless wine glasses at CB2 for $2.50 a glass. I think this is actually cheaper than Target. Many of their other home accessories are very affordable. Which to me is GREAT.

I think the most successful retailers moving forward are those that are able to balance affordable products with higher quality brand and image, and maintain both. I think CB2 does this well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia