Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times

Advertisements

Very well written article by Philly.com on walnut st. and very exciting to see all these recent closures will be occupied and filled with a mix of exciting and relevant experience based retailers. Retail is certainly shifting, and this article certainly captures it well.

Also a great deal of millennials are in the 27 - 32 category, and I think priorities are also shifting to save more for 1st time home purchases. So more discretionary income is being shifted towards savings, and then the disposable income leftover, experience based venues are winning out. Leaving clothing retail to be a mix of 'hot luxe' (what is trending on social media) and discount retail.

Mix n match. And pull the perfect look together. On all social media platforms, this is what all the millenial grammers are doing. And it makes sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 03:46 AM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times
I'm sure you all know that there is now a field of research in psychology and sociology known as "happiness studies."

Yes, researchers are conducting studies that attempt to identify what causes people to be happy and the various things that may increase or decrease happiness.

Some recent studies have found that while material goods produce a sharper increase in happiness when acquired than non-material experiences, the experiences produce more happiness in the long run because they create memories people share, recall and cherish while material goods get taken for granted after a short while - or we compare our material possessions to those of others and become less happy as a result.

So the shift from selling stuff to selling experiences on Walnut may make us all happier in the long run.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:19 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm sure you all know that there is now a field of research in psychology and sociology known as "happiness studies."

Yes, researchers are conducting studies that attempt to identify what causes people to be happy and the various things that may increase or decrease happiness.

Some recent studies have found that while material goods produce a sharper increase in happiness when acquired than non-material experiences, the experiences produce more happiness in the long run because they create memories people share, recall and cherish while material goods get taken for granted after a short while - or we compare our material possessions to those of others and become less happy as a result.

So the shift from selling stuff to selling experiences on Walnut may make us all happier in the long run.
Selling experiences may be another mirage. Memorable experiences are not necessarily bought, and I sense that many Americans are searching for that happiness while overlooking the most important and fundamental mechanism of fulfillment; family. I do believe you're right though. I've read that Boomers buy things and Millennial buy experiences for happiness. I'd rather we look at our lifestyle and become more respectful with one another, with family at the center.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:40 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Very well written article by Philly.com on walnut st. and very exciting to see all these recent closures will be occupied and filled with a mix of exciting and relevant experience based retailers. Retail is certainly shifting, and this article certainly captures it well.

Also a great deal of millennials are in the 27 - 32 category, and I think priorities are also shifting to save more for 1st time home purchases. So more discretionary income is being shifted towards savings, and then the disposable income leftover, experience based venues are winning out. Leaving clothing retail to be a mix of 'hot luxe' (what is trending on social media) and discount retail.

Mix n match. And pull the perfect look together. On all social media platforms, this is what all the millenial grammers are doing. And it makes sense!
I wouldn't call a three banks on one of the most pristine intersections of the city to be exciting and relavent, but the ongoing rebirth of Walnut is exciting.

Quote:

I think that is a big reason why certain retailers and average suburban malls are struggling. Stores like Sears, JCPenney, Lacoste, and your average regional malls are closing because they did nothing to diversity themselves.

Shoppers today want ease and convenience, enjoyable shopping with nice updated brick and mortar setups, and diversity among designs and offerings. All of those above retailers are missing several or all of those categories.

I think places like KoP, Shorthills Mall, Highland Park Plaza, The Galleria, etc. stand out due to the extremely high-end nature of the setup, and that was an intentional shift. Almost every A+ high-end mall is performing very well, and that is because they have adapted, targeted their market and added an experience element to the idea of shopping in a mall.

Walnut never really had that cachet, so I think the reinvention process is ongoing, and will continue to be ongoing as trends shift. For example, a Christian Louboutin store would flounder on Walnut, but an Equinox gym or Barry's Bootcamp would probably rival those in New York. My hopes of Walnut becoming a mini KoP are out the window, I just don't want to see the vacancies pile up/ a bank replacing every retailer that left.

I am also hopeful that Market East will get in on the action as it continues to grow.

Last edited by cpomp; 07-12-2018 at 07:55 AM..

Old 07-12-2018, 07:55 AM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Selling experiences may be another mirage. Memorable experiences are not necessarily bought, and I sense that many Americans are searching for that happiness while overlooking the most important and fundamental mechanism of fulfillment; family. I do believe you're right though. I've read that Boomers buy things and Millennial buy experiences for happiness. I'd rather we look at our lifestyle and become more respectful with one another, with family at the center.
Don't forget friendships.

For those of us not in family households or relationships, those are among the most meaningful ties we have aside from those to our own relatives.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:08 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Don't forget friendships.

For those of us not in family households or relationships, those are among the most meaningful ties we have aside from those to our own relatives.
Yes, good point. I find as I get older, I'm very careful about my friendships. But the friendships I do hold are more like family.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:57 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

They are also having children. Don't leave that out.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:44 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
I don’t think I said this before, but the New Virtual Reality entertainment center should go in East Market near the new movie theater. I feel the two could be a nice compliment for one another.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 PM

https://www.phillymag.com/be-well-ph...s-east-market/

Old 07-19-2018, 01:52 PM

Five Below plans NYC store to capture 'vibrant' Midtown traffic - Philly

Great to see a local company expanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia